Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lower my car more?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrod54chevy, Sep 8, 2011.

1. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

If it's a "whole day" where I have to spend ANOTHER day HOPING it'd work next time, yeah, I call that a waste. Considering I work full time and the only time I work on it is weekends and when I spend every damned weekend on it instead of cruising with my wife.

And I laughed at the hydro thing because I know what a headache that'd be on MY car. I told you, putting on blocks became an 8 hour job. Shouldn't have been, but it was. Lost a needle bearing and had to cut the driveshaft. I don't want to think about time and effort along with oil everywhere.

2. how bout putting a bunch heavy of tools in the trunk see how you like it and make a decision.
    BTW I love your car the way it is

3. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

Thanks for all the compliments, guys! :D That pic of me next to the Chevy was RIGHT after I drove her back from The Road Rockets Rumble. Pulled into my apartment complex lot, hopped out and snapped a pic before unloading luggage :p That was before the lowering... Still had that ugly rake!

4. fbama73

fbama73

Then you're not going to get any lower out back. You're already on the bump stops. The only thing left to gain as far as getting the back any lower is to remove the bump stops and get to the delightful place of axle against frame. To get the back bumper any lower, you will have to notch the frame, or channel the whole body over the frame.

From your posts, it sounds like you enjoy drving it a lot more than working on it. There is serious, time consuming work to be done if you want that ass end any lower than what it is. My advice, which is free, and (maybe) worth every penny is to drive it like it is, and if someone says it needs to be lower, tell them to go screw a tree.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Amen to that, it looks great to me just the way it sits and doesn't have silly assed drop it on the ground with the tires out of wack look to it. I can't figure out why guys think having the car look like it's broken looks cool.

It's perfect in my estimation just the way it sits and is just about the same height the 48 will be when I get it back on the road.

6. bungle

bungle
    from el paso tx

my vote is for airbags, but it will take time. i installed some on my shoebox for the first time, and it really was a lot easier than i thought. but yhea you'll have to measure, cut, weld etc.

i just recently got a 54 chevy bel air that was already lowered, they used the original leaf springs in the rear, added some blocks(4"'s i think), and put small airbags on top of the blocks. no compressor or valves, just an airtank that i can fill up at a gas station, then i can raise or lower it by hand. i think my bel air also looks lower than what it really is because it has lake pipes on the sides of the car(just below the doors) it makes the sides of the car look pretty low. i don't have pics right now(work blocks them), but can send you pics when i get home, if you want.

7. praisethelowered

praisethelowered

how is an 8 hour day working on your car- mocking up suspension to get it right a waste of time?

It sounds like you don't like to work on cars.

8. csimonds

csimonds

I hate to sound like a dick, but I totally agree with praisethelowered. The fact is, thats why most of us have cars, for the thrill of making them our own. If you don't want to spend the time wrenchin now why don't you wait until winter when you don't drive it.
    Chuck

9. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

NO, I said that it took 8 hours to do the 30 minute job of bolting the blocks on. Should have been unbolt, bolt on, let down and drive. This was 8 hours I didn't have time for and didn't schedule. I like working on my car, I DON'T like it taking all day to do what shouldn't and I DON'T like assholes like you telling me what I like, thanks very much. Oh, and go screw a tree.

10. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

if you raise your cuffs it will make the car look lower when you stand next to it. that's what I recommend.

11. T.L.

T.L.
    from Colorado

'Looks plenty low enough to Me.
    'Bags are the only smart way to go if you want it lower...

(Not that anyone gives a $#!t what I think)

12. DamnYankeesKustoms

DamnYankeesKustoms

Keep it the way it is........

13. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

x2!

14. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Leave it alone.

15. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I always thought , howe cool looking seeing those sleds cruising down the road, until I got one. Worrying about flats, getting it on a flatbed if it breaks down, watching for dips and potholes got old real fast. Now she's going to a new home in Texas.
    user14770_pic8780_1217120148.jpg

16. choptup 49

choptup 49
    from so-cal

My motto was "if it doesn't scrape or get stuck every once n awhile, its not low enough". Pre Air Bags, ofcourse!

17. slammed

slammed

Take a few more pix of the car, from several angles. Know this: 3" is minimum for your crossmember/lower control arm clearance.

18. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

Those still interested, here's a back/side shot. And one BEFORE blocks!

Attached Files:

19. slammed

slammed

The after pix looks good. It is plenty low for a real driver. A set of high end shocks will help the rear w/ load and handling. Do you have a front sway bar?

20. newsomtravis

newsomtravis
    from pville, ca

just drive it, if it is on the bumpstops now, you cant make it any lower without alot of work, which you dont seem to want to do......done......drive it.....

21. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

Does anyone really screw trees any more? LOL I really like the way it sits.

22. Lowmerc50

Lowmerc50

Looks like the front sets great.. But the back needs to be lowered.. Maybe drive it the rest of the summer and do air bags over the winter? Hopefully you have a heated garage... Very Kool car

23. Mr hotrod54 . I feel bad cuz when on the hamb and ask for an opinion your gonna get what you ask for . opinions . Its your car. If hotroding were easy or fun all the time, every pencil pusher or retail clothing store person would be driving one . you would go to the super market and see a lot with 30-50 cars half kustomized by the owner . But you don't. Its hard work, its not fun half the time, but the other half of the time its hands down amazing . Hotrodin is a lifestyle, You need everything to understand it in your life. That means having girl bring you extra parts to the side of the road, running out of gas, parts store wont have part till monday . Or missing events not cuz ya didnt want to go but cuz ya broke down half way there. It having the mentality " I missed this one but i will bust ass and get it running for the next show in 2 days", while your standing on the side of the road. I drive mine daily and sure there time i hate it . But Its mine, I love working on it, fixing stuff, cutting shit, i have 3 other cars im putting together and have no idea how or when they will be done . but they always get done .I just think the moral of my post is you have to be willing to be under your car more than ya drive it . Best of luck jake

24. oddrod46

oddrod46
    from Georgia

leave the stance alone throw on some lake pies and maybe even the rear stainless trim available for your 54 chevy. she will look propper and still ride, My 51 merc has 4' blocks and lowered springs up front lake pipes do a great job of making the car appear even lower than it actually is and they were a classic example of 50's period accesories. also this will be the least expensive way to achieve what you want.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011