Register now to get rid of these ads!

What is the best reaction you have gotten from people?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by EnragedHawk, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Was at work one night with my 47 chev truck, 4 inch side pipes, 283 with a very lopey cam. Decided to run up to jack in the crack for a milkshake at lunch. Get to the drive through window and the guy tells me " It will be a few minutes but i have to close the window its to LOUD!" All i could think to myself was well yeah 4 inch side pipes will do that.

2. 69fury

69fury

I love the neck snapping, head turn with the wide open eyes, and dropped jaw...

rick

3. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

I've gotten the " I got my first piece of ass in a truck like that!" I also have old ladies tell about their husband's ol Chevy truck and how they would throw the kids in the back and head into town.

When the import boys rev 'em up. I just light the flamethrowers at them. They don't know what to do with that.

Had an S10 with bags pass me while sitting in traffic, he had the back dumped. When I caught up with him I had it all aired out, running boards 3/4" off the road......his jaw dropped, I was lower than him.

I love to light up the flamethrowers for the bored kids in the mini vans and the Mexicans in the work trucks.

A few years ago, one of the boys was riding with me at the cruise at Run to the Sun in Myrtle beach, I had been burning them down. 2 ladies in their 70s looking my way, I lit them up and they both flung open their button down shirts and began jiggling the twins at us.....thank God they had T shirts on! My friend looks at me and asks " What was THAT? Looked like softballs in tube socks." Glad I could give them a little thrill.

4. TERPU

TERPU

At the Pasadena Reliability Run I was a little unsure about how my Phaeton would fit in. If you've ever been to that you know it's nothing but perfection in the parking lot, or at least for me. My P'ton is anything but perfect and I'm like the clown at the Black tie party anyways. So when I pulled in P'wood gave me a thumbs up and a big smile. At that point I quit worrying about fitting in and just relaxed. Later that day I got the Miracle trophy for a car that was questioned about making it, and did with flying colors! I guess that's two great reactions, it was a great day.

Tim

5. When I towed my '50 to the warehouse to start in on it a couple weeks ago, I took kind of a zig-zag route to avoid going up and down one big hill. Crossed the railroad tracks and went by a couple women walking with some kids.. I didn't pay super close attention, I'd about stopped anyways in case there was a train, but I caught in the mirror the one woman doing a 180' when she saw the car behind me. Then it dawned on me, someone I know, her husband has worked on old cars for years. I hadn't even thought about that I was going right by their street.

6. chiro

chiro

I throw the kids bikes into the back of my '55 Chevy first series pickup and head to the local park. As we crawl into the parking lot, some ex-patriot British guy standing next to a Prius asks laughingly, "Is that a Hybrid"? I respond, "Yeah, it burns gas AND oil!" We both crack up and the kids loved it.

7. "Just Recently"

"WHY THE HELL DID YA PAINT IT WHITE"

Cause My Names On The Title!

Ok, right off the bat let me say I never really liked white on a hot rod much. BUT while trying to figure out something few are doing I thought maybe I should go just the opposite of the crowd. My thinking was, with the black vinyl top, black chassis and tires with wides, it would break the car up nicely. Rather then using these one shot wonder paints we went with the old school way. Olympic White(GM) basecoat with 5 coats of clear mixed with a 60% flattening agent. We got her back together and did alittle cruisin for some pics.

Scheduled for this week is some stripping and artwork by Ron Meyers (done now). Still have cleaning, detailing, and goodies lined up for this winter, but very pleased with how it's coming along.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

^^^ I think that thing looks AWSOME!

I have a few awsome reactions to our '50 Plym

My dad when we first pulled in his driveway with it finished: "Holy shit!!!!.....Holy shit!!!....wow......hoooolyyyyy Shiiit...." followed by a blank stare and a dropped jaw :)

It seems my dad never has faith in us when we start a project. My dad is a car guy and has done 2 hefty restorations but when it comes to Joey and I; I think he scratches his head and thinks we're nuts with what we decide to bring home. Many time, i think that he believes we're never going to finish what we've started. When we finaly reach the finishing point; he's blown away. A good reaction from someone who has high expectations of quality work :)

9. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

Sometimes it the more simple reactions from people that make it "the best"

At our last car show in putnam, ct last year (before we stripped the car down to bare bones) there was an old timer struggling along to see some of the cars with his cane. His son and his son's wife brought him there so he could see the cars and enjoy the day. He spotted our Plymouth as we were leaving from across the lot and he kicked it into high gear. He couldn't hobble his way over to us fast enough. He immediately knew exactly what the car was and he was asking us if it was, in fact, what he thought it was. we confirmed and his entire face lit up with excitement. His family had one whe he was growing up; it was a beloved family car and the first car he ever drove. Its nice to see the car pull those reactions and memories out of people. You could tell he was struggling with old age; couldn't get around very well anymore and i think that really takes it toll on people; it was nice to see him excited over the car and his memories from his youth. His son was quite happy too; to see his dad enjoying it.

10. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

I really get a kick when people who truly "get it" ask if the car is a survivor. It's like... "mission accomplished!" haha

11. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

A few weeks ago, I was driving my T bucket, running some errands. I stopped at the post office and was walking towards the door. This lady looks and says, "Hey, nice roadster." It caught me by surprise and I said thanks. The reason it caught me is because I live in a neighborhood filled with ricers, pimp wagons, donks and cars with huge bass boxes in thier trunks. To have someone "get it", is very rare. Usually what I get is, "What the fu*k is that?" Which I've almost gotten fond of hearing. Some folks aren't supposed to get it.

12. hellerods

hellerods

Twenty years or more ago, late afternoon driving up the 101 between Pismo and SLO in my old 69TA with a fresh bullet and a new 200 shot of nos, I clear all traffic and hit it, I mean really stood on it and hit the nos. I get off the freeway and the next thing I know some guy is SCREAMING at me that my car isn't really that fast. He wants to race me again, after his meeting in town, blah,blah,blah. I'm in shock, kinda, just didn't know where he came from or why he was yelling at me, I sure didn't pass anyone or see his $$high buck "badass porche"(should have looked in the rearview:D). I quess his fast car couldn't catch that old dawg Poncho. That memory still makes me smile.

13. Fatbob309

Fatbob309

I have had a few thumbs up and "MOM MOM MOM LOOK AT THE RACE CAR!!!!" but the best line ever said to me was when I dove an OT rock crawler Jeep to work at the bank. There wasn't a body panel on it that didn't have a dent. As I got out out the Jeep in my suit and tie this older customer (75-80) pulled up and asked the hours for the bank and then stoped and did a 2nd look at my Jeep and asked "anyone die in that wreck?"

14. I was in the mrs' car and I pulled up at the local hardware shop and this tall, muscly guy in a wide hat gets out of his 4wd which looked like it was rigged to tackle crocodiles or catch wild pigs or something with spotlights, gun racks and other stuff and looks over at me getting out of my wife's car and he gives me a wink and says in a deep voice:
    "nice car, mate."
    [​IMG]
    I tried to match his deep voice with "yeah, mate," but, as you can see from the picture, I just wasn't gonna cut it as a tough guy...

15. cookie32

cookie32
    from Australia

another "get it" story
    the day me and my mate pulled in for petrol half way on our 200 mile trip back home, a very nice milf,filling up her car, dressed nicely in her corporate attire,notices my car and says ," nice roadster, a 32? right?", I, with undoubtably a dumb suprised look on my face, answered a swarve and sophisticated:cool: "yeh", thinking to myself, wow its wonderwomen, then she said " how long have u owned it?", getting out of my trance i answered, with a cheeky grin "about 1 1/2 hours" she answers "coool" , my mate still laughing , telling me to pick my jaw off the ground, she laughs, i say to me mate, "you're walking the rest of the way home, i've found my new co-pilot":D

16. At a red light I got a thumbs up, ok sign and a shucker all in the space of 1 second. Hilarious!

17. chopper cliff

chopper cliff
    from lodi ca

When I still had my 31 2dr an old er woman came up and said she got laid in the backseat of one of those in 1942, she walked away and and I had a dumbfounded look on my face. Cliff

18. WrenchKitten

WrenchKitten

Never fails, standing around the truck with a group of guys...

Who's truck is that?
    It's hers!!

19. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

I was approched one of my cars past owners, last weekend, We started talking , As I told him were I found her and how ruff she was, he took some pics of the car and then stepped away to make a phone call, when he returned, He asked if he could buy her back.

It was quite the honor.

MrC.

20. My favorite is when I had my 55 Star Chief....I was pumping gas in it at the local Rutters, when this older woman approached me and said thats a nice 55 you have there. I said thank you as she took a closer look. She then came over and said, "Ya know those cars have nice big back seats" she winked gave me an elbow and told me to have a nice day, LOL

21. brushape

brushape

When I bought my 31 chevy from an old farmer and he was amazed I was going to take the time and effort to build it back and get it on the road

22. I hear ya...I have an affinity for old, mostly stock, kind-of worn, old trucks. It's a truck. You gotta be able to scratch it up now and then.

Once you make an old truck perfect, it takes away some of the appeal in my ever so increasingly humble opinion. :)

23. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

A couple weeks ago a fellow HAMB member that my '32 wasn't as bad as he thought it was going to be.....

......but then he followed it up with naw that thing IS pretty rough.

24. GARY?

GARY?

Some older guy asked me if the T had "history" as in racing history. Best compliment ever.

25. Bull

Bull

Sitting at a stoplight in "da hood" in my roadster . . . a gentleman at the bus stop yells over . . . "Man . . . your car got rhythm!" . . . referring to the lumpy cam and unbaffled long tube lake headers. I couldn't help but bust out laughing. I think of it with a smile every time I'm sitting at a stop light now loping away. :)
    [​IMG]

26. Bull

Bull

I am absolutely in love with my Titus-built Tudor. Living a dream I tell you - one I've had in my head for over 20 years! It seems to draw a crowd everywhere. I love when a hot rodder with more experience than me starts to tell me about their high school hot rods. They always seem to be amazed that a young guy "gets it." I've been told that the car "looks like it came right out of the little pages." Best compliment ever.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

27. JimC

JimC
    from W.C.,Mo.

I was approached by a fellow wanting to know would I transport his daughter and her groom from the church to the reception.
    My car was never photographed so much.

28. chopperfugger

chopperfugger
    from austin

When I go downtown at nite. Peeps are taking cel phone
    pics at every stop light. Hot chicks always coming over to say -
    ' I really like your car' It is instant celebrity.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

When people see the Thunderturd, they usually say "What the HELL is that" L O L !!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It is Good Humor just to see the look on peoples faces.

VR&C.

30. Big Nick

Big Nick

To be perfectly honest, it actually gets annoying to me sometimes. I get a kick out of the kids waving, no doubt, but I can do with out the "bro" chasing me light to light on his Harley to let me know he thinks my truck is cool. Or the guy in the $85K Z06 who has to pull up and tell me the truck is cool beater. Those guys I dont even waste time with. Two times that actually stick with me is one lady at a gas station asked if I could take a picture of her in the truck, as she learned to drive on a military base in a 51 pick up, she was really excited to look at the truck and another time was, a friend of mine worked at a Bentley Lamborghini dealership and asked me to stop up to give her a hand with something. A guy just dropped off his Murcielago (the one in the picture) for service and while waiting for his wife to pick him up (she pulled up in a brand new Bentley coupe) actually told me I brougth a little class to the parking lot.
    [​IMG]