Register now to get rid of these ads!

Where can I find brake parts that are made in the USA?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dave K, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Dave K

Dave K

Where can I find brake parts for my 1959 Chevy 1/2 ton that are made in the USA or at least not China? The local Napa and Kregan only have Wheel Cylinders from China.

Thanks

Dave

2. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

I don't think you can. There's nobody casting parts here in this country any longer.

It's a dice-roll every time you buy parts now...........whether they'll fit properly or
    last once installed. They play with the packaging to make it appear as if the contents are MADE IN USA.

I've gotten some Bendix stuff that's made in Canada recently, but not the USA.

3. Dave K

Dave K

That really sucks!!!

That being the case is there a source for parts from Canada, Mexico, really I would be happy to get them from any place other than China

4. rainhater1

rainhater1
    BANNED
    from az

Look up Hoppers Stoppers in Aus, They make special brake parts for hot rods and trucks

5. Just go up in price. The cheapest ones are Chinese or Indian, next level Mexico and on up to US made. We did this at an Oreillys here in town with brake pads just to see. You could really see the increase in quality each level you went up.

6. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Look for Bendix and Raybestos ask a parts guy to get them in then see where there made. I've gotten them from Mexico and Canada. Thats the best I could do. I call the manufacturers and ask also.

Pat

7. Dave K

Dave K

I found wheel cylinders from Australia and Shoes made in the USA at a local brake shop. They can get NOS USA made cylinders but it takes about two weeks to get them in and I cant hold off that long.

How important is it to get my drums turned when I change everything?

Thanks

Dave

8. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

I don't know for sure where they have them made, but you can get Raysbestos wheel cylinders for your truck at Rockauto.com. Their parts are generally good quality.

9. squirrel

squirrel

We got some rear wheel cylinders for my sons 59 not long ago, the box said made in US and they were inexpensive. Had to replace the inexpensive ones we put on 5 years ago. The fronts that we put kits in the original castings are still working ok.

If the drums are not scored much or out of round you don't need to turn them.

10. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

50 years ago you could ,Now just the boxes are made in the usa

11. Square One

Square One

If you're really looking for USA have your old shoes relined. Ironically it's cheaper a lot of the time too.

12. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Look for Wagner brake parts. It's been about two years, but the last time I bought brake parts, they were all Made In The USA.

13. HTWHLS

HTWHLS
    from Atlanta

It's always best to get them turned but I agree, if they are not badly scored or seen hard use, you don't have to get them turned..but only if you know that they have not been turned already a few times and are too thin. Just me, but you may know they haven't been turned already 2-3x before.

14. Tip of the day; drum brakes are great if you think about them and observe caution, disc do not have the following problem. Drums need to be close in inside diameter or you may have a "pulling" issue, think about it, different diameters cause this. And make sure they are within spec because if not they will warp in a panic stop and cause really bad shit to happen. And don't forget to lube with brake grease the moving contact areas, where the shoes contact the backing plate and the self adjusters as well.

15. I wonder if it is really made in Canada.
    There was a stink up here when it was revealed that if cod caught in the Bering Sea by Russians, processed in China, put on a refrigerated container and shipped through the Panama Canal to Nova Scotia and then put in a Captain Highliner box could have made in Canada or processed in Canada if the final packaging was done here.
    They probably do the same for brake parts.

16. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Absolutely positively not true. It's just harder to come by and some of the lesser parts places don't carry them. I get US stuff from my local place all the time.

17. Jimm56

Jimm56

IF you get the drums turned, it changes their diameter. Therefore, get your new shoes arced to match. It seems counter-productive to shave off brake lining, but you'll get better stopping power and longer brake life. They'll just work better from day one.

18. Call and ask for John. He is the owner and a top flight individual. Sometimes you'll speak to his wife. She is sweet. I've used their stuff on my 56 210 for ten years. I don't see your truck on their product list but he may be able to send you in the right direction. I cannot vouch for his wheel cylinders being made in the US but I'm pretty certain his shoes are. John will be straight forward with you on product origin and can direct you if what he has is not for you.

http://www.musclecarbrakes.com/contact.html

Also try Vince @ CH Topping. He is a wealth of info and quiet helpful. I got braided steel hoses from him and all he does is brakes. I cannot verify at this time that all his stuff is made in the US but he can direct you if his are not.

http://www.chtopping.com/Home/index.html

19. Raybestes (sp) still makes pieces here or so I have been told.