Register now to get rid of these ads!

A Junk metal buyer stoped at my place today

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dexleo2, Aug 19, 2011.

1. gtkane

gtkane

One local shady character has put up signs all over town "$100 cash for scrap cars"
    I had a bunch of signs made up that said "I'll pay more than him if it's 1959 or older", and put them under his.
    Our storage lot is getting pretty full!

2. Good luck. All the scrapers I talked too all seem to think the "junk" I want is worth
    all the money. "Hey thats collectable now."

3. sedanbob

sedanbob

To slow down the thieves, the city here is working on a law that will make the scrap yards only pay by check, trying to track who is scrapping what. Thieves have been taking air conditioners for the copper, sometimes even when the folks are home.

4. 1968pickup

1968pickup
    from ND

a guy i know found a couple guys trying to come buy his stuff cheap he didnt want to sell so they just came back while he was at work and loaded it all up in the middle of the day i cant belive these people he is the type of guy that would shoot first and ask questions later there day will come!

5. Mike Rotch

Mike Rotch
    from Easley SC

Would it be a crime to dig a large hole ( about 4' deep) on your own property, pour in three or four bags of wet concrete, embed a long section of heavy chain inside it, leave several feet of the un-concreted chain as slack buried a few inches under the ground,cover it all up, and then inconspicuously wrap it around the frame of an old cadillac?

6. "T'RANTULA"

"T'RANTULA"
    from Ohio

Heck!! If they wanted teh car bad enough they would dig up the concrete and chain and then take the car!!!! :eek: :D

7. Here in NZ the scrappers are a bunch of thieves generally.
    Even have the cheek to steal railway lines that are still in use.
    Steal copper wire running to houses etc.
    I have lost several thousand dollars worth of old car parts recently.
    They broke into my shed to get at it.
    I have big gates, padlocks and security cameras now.
    Also a live in watchman at my workshop. ( have a house next to it for him)

I HATE thieves.

8. If it's everything you said it is, it was worth $1000 easy, maybe you should have offered more. I mean I've seen just the stock rear glass for one bring $400. I know up here that car would bring $650 over the scale at the one yard, too. The only way to deal with these guys is to make it more profitable to sell to you.

9. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Smart! I love it!

10. hungrymonkey

hungrymonkey
    from Oregon

Its a toss up between unemployed guys who are working under the table, or absolute tweakers who will rob you blind while they are checking out the rest of your property for scrap.

I used to live 9 miles out of town, then down a mile long driveway. The property was not visible to the road.
    I had a scrapper pull up in the driveway and offer to haul off a couple of old rigs that I owned. It was blatantly obvious that he had been over the property before.
    He was reminded that it was an unhealthy hobby to trespass out in the middle of nowhere.

Oh, and fwiw, the county I live in. Will not prosecute property crimes under 1500 bucks value. so if he had hauled off and scrapped a vehicle. He would not face any sort of punishment. People are a bit nervous out in the sticks.

11. I was in Stockton the other day and there were two Mexican guys in an F100 long bed loaded down to the bump stops with a bunch of wheels.

Knowing that Frank from Stockton wheel passed away recently... I pointed and said "Stockton Wheel?"

The nodded yes... and I spoke some Spanglish to them...

The guys were really happy to get a nice load... and were going back for more.

They told me about the different prices at scrap yards around the area... and one that really paid well.

Good for them.

Sam

12. I work as a Private Detective and lately our surveillance cameras captured images of thieves driving their trucks along the back fence of a large home improvement store and cutting the chian kink fence and stealing huge quantities of new Copper and Aluminum!

What they failed to realize is that we were watching them and reported them to the Police...!

5 less bad guys...

13. i was up in offer to 2000 i was falling asleep and did not finish
    this greasy old guy was aragent and was just a jerk it will be scrap.

14. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Around this part of the country many of the scrapers are just stealing scavengers. Latest deal is they ride around on their 4 wheelers which allows them to be in and out fast on a scouting trip only to return later when no ones around to help themselves. I have a lot of iron at at remote location which I suspect will disappear someday. Seems none of them will work splits on the stuff they expect it to be free!

15. Ratroddude

Ratroddude
    BANNED

When the scrappers show up unannounced at my place , I give them scrap lead , it tends to make them run really fast , I guess cause what I'm loading the lead in their vehicles with....I load it in increments of.38 &.357 wieghts , coming out of the barrel of the same.... I ask , "Dont you want this scrap , I'm giving it to you" , they never come back for the second load.....:D

16. ems customer service

ems customer service

rat fink is right, they are all crooks and thieves

17. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Sounds effective! :D

18. Jarred Hodges

Jarred Hodges

with as high as scrap is it has killed the honest guys that hauled cars, scrap and so on. When cars were $60 a ton or so people would usually give them to you or sell them for cheap assuming it was a worthless car. With the current prices at $220 a ton or so crackheads have drug ever fridge out of the woods and anyone that has any amount of scrap hauls it themselves.

19. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

hate to be pesimistic..did you take down his plate number?

20. k0rndog

k0rndog

thats a good idea you had!

send the new junk to the crusher and save the old stuff!

21. Sounds like you need to figure out where your county government people all live and start stealing things from them that don't cross that threshold. Maybe after they get robbed once a week for a month or two they'll change their attitude.

22. 56ih

56ih

I managed to score a sweet 56-57 IH S-120 from a local scrap guy here. $540, it's a complete ex-forest service truck with good 4WD. I'm stoked to have a good drivetrain for my IH. I think a lot of those guys don't necessarily want to crush old iron, but it pays their bills. Can't fault them really

23. I used to have an old scrapper drop by. The 1st time he was looking for scrap and I spotted a pair if L79/327 chrome valve covers in the back of his truck. Dug around a little more and came up with a NOS '62 Vette front motor mount and a used 340HP/327 intake manifold. I bought those from him and gave him the little scrap I did have for free. After that he made a point to come by with stuff he thought I'd be interested in. Bought a few rearends for $50 each.

Another time he came with 5 cases of Quaker State 30wt oil in metal cans. I gave him the $20 a case he was asking.

I miss that guy.

24. Jack60

Jack60
    from Maryland

I work part time for my buddy doing AC, heating and refrigeration. We have gotten a few jobs because their copper was stolen. One house they went in the basement and tore out all the hot water baseboard they could reach. A store, they took the copper for their freezer, but they only got about 6' of 5/8" copper. I say shoot them............ :D

25. 1929Essex

1929Essex

i know two different scrappers...one got me two model A's for 400 bucks and the other has about about 10 small blocks and 2 nailheads not to mention a ton a misc. parts. they know whats worth saving and re-selling to me

26. pq55

pq55

In my region we have a non-profit association of volonteer that clean brook and river side.They found the owner of the land and ask for all permit and autorisation.They recycle everything they pickup. I got my membership (25$/year) and got the first look at the scrap they pickup.

Pat

27. Smokey2

Smokey2

Speaking of "garages"........What is that ? sumthin You Eat?/
    My lady holds a tarp over me Rain or Shine........yeah, She might be ugly, but she makes a mean Bed !

Workin on a Lean Tooo........Shade and freah air ! Smoke'