Register now to get rid of these ads!

What a Way to End My Day

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by emlovesmercury49, Sep 8, 2011.

1. emlovesmercury49

emlovesmercury49

One of my tenant's driver hit the side of the building and knocked the rain gutters out. And of course they just had to land on my chevy. What bothered me was that the guy driving the truck didnt tell me what he had done. One of my other tenant's came to the office to tell me what he saw. After reviewing the tape I called the guy up and asked him if he was aware that his guy had hit the building, knocked the rain gutter and damaged my car. His respond was " I dont think it was my guy." I told him that he needed to come to the office to review the tape. Once he saw the tape his mouth dropped. I showed him tha damage to my car and he said " Oh a little bondo will make it better" :mad:

Attached Files:

2. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Get a body shop estimate quantifying "a little bondo". Choose a bodyshop that specializes in Benz.
    It's not often that you have the actual accident recorded, and you hold all the cards here!

3. To my knowledge those decklids are irreplacable. You may be able to find one in a museum somewhere for a couple thousand, but otherwise this might just total your $20,000 car.

I would let the insurance agency know this right away. :D

4. 1950heavymetal

1950heavymetal

"BUSTED" and caught on tape! That's a bummer, hope you can get the situation resolved.

5. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

" A little Bondo" my ass. More like a little deposit reduction.
    I'm a landlord, he DOES have renter's insurance, right? It should come off his ass, not yours.

6. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

If the guy hit the building with a truck, why would you care if he had renters insurance. Here in Illinois, at least, that would be a claim on the vehicle insurance policy. Maybe it's different there? Stu

7. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

how did you keep from punching him in the throat?

sadly, most bodyshops would smack it with a hammer and bondo the hell out it. where someone who takes pride in thier work and respects old cars could probably push it out and shrink where it has stretched.
    be sure to take it to an old car guy.

8. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

Were those gutters full of concrete??

9. Catching it on video is almost as good as watching someone hit your parked car while you are parked behind it.

10. dude. that sucks. cant park anywhere these days

11. Seems like no one ever want to accept something unless you have proof. It drives me nuts, I put a camera system at our dairy just so I could prove stuff to myself and employees.

Bright side.....now you can get your deckled shaved for free!

12. BJR

BJR

It's not your tenants fault, it's the guy driving the truck. His auto insurance should cover this. Can you make out the license from your video? If so file a police report for hit and run. His ass will be in a world of hurt.

13. Tri-Power

Tri-Power
    from Memphis

The decklid looks totally reparable to me. It sucks to have the hit n run, but you DO know who did it. At least the car wasn't totally restored, would be hard to repair the decklid without refinish blending the quarter panels.

14. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

There's some forward thinking for you!! Hope you get it sorted, just good you had CCTV.

15. M_S

M_S
    from SoCal

Second that!

Definitely file hit and run, that is exactly what this is.

16. emlovesmercury49

emlovesmercury49

That's what I said when I saw the big dent on the trunk. the gutters where full of dirt, sand and dust. They dont look heavy but they are.

17. emlovesmercury49

emlovesmercury49

I agree with you 100%

18. 76cam

76cam

Man that sucks!!!! I think you need wash that car. lol......

19. emlovesmercury49

emlovesmercury49

LOL!!!! all that dirt came from the rain gutter.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
  20. emlovesmercury49

emlovesmercury49

Anybody know of someone that can repair this? I live out in the San Fernando Valley, CA

21. probably because he didn't want to have a case of Aggravated Assault with Intent to Do Bodily Harm brought against him :eek:

22. KooDaddy

KooDaddy
    from Wis.

Dead men tell no tales!

23. ferrets bueller

ferrets bueller
    from NW Indiana

File for hit and run, and (threaten to) sue his ass.

24. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

That's right, officer...the danged pipe bounced off of my deck and caught the poor devil right in the throat! Then he fell face down into this spilled Bondo and suffocated before I could get out the grinder to remove it!

25. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

yup file a hit n run and use the tape for evidence ,

26. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

This sounds like a quote form the Andy Griffith Show!!

27. travisty

travisty
    from just moved

haha!

28. Jagman

Jagman

I had a driver trying to back into my loading dock.......took him six tries and on 5 of those he hit my building - attempt #5 took out the stairs to my office! Once he was backed in and parked I asked him for his insurance info and he looked at me like he didn't know what I was talking about......but he called his office and got it for me. I called them for an OK and the "loss representative" started arguing with me about the damage! I emailed her a copy of the video and 5 minutes later I had a claim number and she said "just send me the bill"

Moral of the story - thank GOD for CCTV.............

It saved the OP's butt here, too.

29. Sounds to me like a slam dunk lawsuit. I'd file the hit and run because it's liable to be more in your favor if it's criminal - in most states it will give you more leverage to get them to actually pay for the damage.

30. Unfortunately, you're not in a state that allows the "He needed killin'" defense.