Register now to get rid of these ads!

49' Mercury Window Trim Help!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dblbeard, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Dblbeard

Dblbeard

Does anyone know anything about the Mercury's door window and vent weindow exterior window trim?

What I mean is that the original builder left this off my 49', so I've got to figure out what I'm going to put back. Around the door glass and rear vent glass it has about a 3/8" flange (weld flange) that needs to be covered.
    Does anyone have any ideas?

Thank you very much

2. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

you can round up the stock stainless pieces and cut them down, it's not to fun on a heavy chop like yours...another option is to use a hard rubber trim that has a chrome bead running through the center like what you see on ProstockJohns merc or BadBobs for a couple of examples. its simple, inexspensive and fairly easy to put on. i have also seen the 3/8"-1/2" chrome plastic door edging used on them...again you might have some issues with the tight radius on your window openings... or you can always fab some up out of brass and have them plated..

Attached Files:

3. Any idea what brand to use or where to find this stuff?I have tried a few from parts stores and it wont make any kind of bend without the chrome plastic peeling or kinking?I found a company called flexchrome but he wont ship to canada...any help would be much appreciated

4. I bought the window trim stuff from Matt's guy in CA, here's another pic:

[​IMG]

Dbl, got anymore pics of your car? Do you need trim for all the windows including front and back?

5. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

the place that carries it is called J&J Auto fabrics in Rialto California. if they won't ship to canada Marc, let me know and we could figure something out..

6. Thanks for the quick reply,Matt!Do you happen to know the brand or part number?I checked the website ,but I want to call directly and order it from them.Sure looks like the right stuff I need,is it 3/8 inch?
    thanks again
    Marc

7. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

the stuff is actually a black flexible U channel with a chrome beading on one leg of the U. if you call them up and explain to them that you want the flexible U channel trim with the chrome beading that comes on a roll they should know what your talking about..they also have it in gold:D

8. The brand is Trim-loc. It comes with chrome,gold,or just black.

9. Dblbeard

Dblbeard

Pro Stock John, No, the front and rear are okay. It's just the side widows and vents that need this. I will get on the phone also and see whats out there. I appreciate your help.

Also check my profile for the pics.

10. You have three options:
    -This u channel
    -Stock stuff cut down for your chop
    -Custom made trim made from brass, ask slddnmatt on that he does it.

If you want the stock stuff, Bill Papke is a good source, but who will modify it for you?

11. Dblbeard

Dblbeard

The U channel you used looks great to me. I will try to find it from the place you said.

12. Dblbeard

Dblbeard

Oh, John, here are a few more pictures

Attached Files:

13. Dblbeard

Dblbeard

A few more here

Attached Files:

14. Very nice. My car originally came from Jim F. in Camden SC. Looks like you have a late model steering column, are you running a GM frame? I am. We think I'm running a 70's or early 80's Caprice frame.

This press-on u channel stuff would fix you up, thanks again to Matt for sharing his approach.

What arm rests are those, stock?

15. Lots of thanks to Matt and John for your help!I just talked to Joe Jr at jj fabrics in rialto,he was very helpful and will ship tonite.Do you guys glue the glass in behind it or use glass setting tape?Can't wait to get this stuff,the missing link to finish my car
    Marc

16. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

i usually use a universal U channel rubber and slip it around the glass, it has a little flare on it to lip up and over the trim. you can give this guy a call he can get it for ya. 951-789-8870 ask for carson. just describe it as the U channel with the wing and ill give him a heads up for ya...

Attached Files:

17. EDPACECAR

EDPACECAR

18. That plastic U channel stuff does not like to make tight bends. I have seen way to many cars with that stuff that looked good when it was first installed but after a short time the chrome wrinked and the clear coating over the chrome turned cloudy especialy in the bends.

If you donot have any of the stock trim to work with and want them to look nice you can make them from scratch. The best and easiest meterial to make them out of is 3/8 x 1/2 solid brass and then have them chrome plated but that is very pricey. If you are on a lower budget you can make them out of 3/8 x 1/2 solid alum and when finished polish them or if you have the money you can even chrome plate them. Here's some pic's of some i am making for a radical chopped hard top

Attached Files:

19. thinkfink

thinkfink

EXK...thanks for this one. Any pix how it looks installed? I need window trim for all windows on my chopped '41 plymouth soon and what you did, looks like the solution.

20. Sorry, at this time i can not find any real good pics. I am in the procces of making this style of trim for 3 Mercs right now and will post some pics when done. Here's the best pics of them installed that i can find right now. Check out slddnmatt's post here. He put a good close up pic of a solid brass one he made.

Attached Files:

21. thinkfink

thinkfink

no problem. and thanks for that shot already.

22. Smokey2

Smokey2

Double-beard, That is One Titty-Sweet Ride !!!!
    Who did tha' Chop/ or/ built the car?

I spent 40 hrs makin'the vent windows operable on the '40 Merc I built (3 1/2 " chop).
    Made side window trim from original stainless Window trim, that wez Fun, but it turned out really Nice.

"Happy Motoring, Starts at The ESSO Sign " Smoke'

23. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

here are a few pics of some brass ones that we did on few customers cars. there a little bit of work but look great in the end..

Attached Files:

24. Just got my package from matts guy for the window trim,thanks so much for your help everyone!Awesome stuff,just what I wanted .Joe Jr at JJ fabrics was helpful,got me the stuff from california to the frozen north in less than a week.

25. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

Good to here, Joe and Joe Jr. Are a great couple of guys

26. bigmoneys76

bigmoneys76
    from camden,al

Sir can u tell me how you did your headlights

27. bigmoneys76

bigmoneys76
    from camden,al

Sir can u tell me how u did the headlights

28. Dblbeard

Dblbeard

Smokey2- I'm sorry but I can't help you there. I've asked on here a couple of times if anyone recognizes the car, but I havent' heard anything yet.
    I picked this up on a trade several weeks ago. I drove from S.C. to Milwaukee WI on my day off a few weeks ago to trade my 1929 Coupe for this. The guy I traded with got me a little upset so I vented on him in an email, now he won't respond to anything I send. He did tell me before that it came from California about 3 years ago. Some guy in Mass bought it and the guy a traded my '29 to ended up with it about 2 years ago, but didn't do a single thing to it.

Yes, the build is about 15 years old now, but it's been repainted about a year ago.
    I would like to put chrome bumpers back on it sooner or later.
    Sorry I can't help with any details on the chop. If there is any other help I can be just let me know.

bigmoneys76 - again, the guy from Cali did this, but I can give you some close up pics of the insides to show you how they did some of the headlights.

29. Eventually someone will come along and fill in some history on the car I bet.

Chrome bumper would look great. Are you thinking stock ones? Bumper irons are pretty easy to find, I have a set of '51 fronts just lying around. I can send you a pic if you like. If you have body guy cut the molded stuff off the cut line could potentially be hidden by the bumpers.

I just noticed that you don't have front vent windows on your car anymore. I had the same deal, so I bought some and had them cut down. Though if you were to use someone outside, I suggest Matt here cuz the local guy I used did it the hard way and created extra work/$ for me as a result. Matt knows how to do it without and how to avoid having to getting them chromed due to welding.

30. Dblbeard

Dblbeard

Thanks John, I will look him up. I'm also looking at putting the trim around
    the windows.
    Yes, I would like to see pics of the bumpers you have.

Wade