Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Eastwood & Barakat

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rick Barakat, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

The37Kid-
    Here is the picture of the fitting of the rear window. Notice that the cut was done on an angle so that when you fit the piece into place your panels overlap. You then use dykem and scribe the overlap to get your cut lines. This allows you to trim it for a butt weld. I hope this makes sense...any questions???

Attached Files:

2. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Yes, the picture helps me understand where the cuts were made. Why the gas welding versus the TIG welding which Pete is so good at? The car is really taking shape. Keep the photos coming.
    Lynn

3. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Lynn-
    It is TIG. I think the video made it look like gas.
    I'll go over to Pete's tomorrow and take more pictures of the cut areas.
    Any area in particular you want to see?
    Rick

4. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Here is the perfect reason why cutting the little pies and slots is so important. Look at the door curvature in the opening before and after the modification.
    This is an important step to get the gaps correct.

Attached Files:

5. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Thanks, I thought it looked like his TIG welding. Now I see how he made everything line up in the front post area. Pete is a perfectionist. Nice job.
    Lynn

6. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Lynn-
    Based on your comments, I know you know Pete. Most people don't quite understand how versatile he is. This is only the second chop he has done. There isn't anything he can't do and do to a high level.

For those of you going to the Hot Rod Reunion next month in Bakersfield, check out Pete's restoration of Ed Pink's "Old Master". Not only is it beautiful but it is 100% correct down to the last nut and bolt.

7. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

If you look at the 1:18 video on youtube, you can see the slice that Pete took out of the top to get the door gap just right as shown in post #395.

8. MadJack68

MadJack68

I received my shirt today. Thanks Rick!
    [​IMG]

9. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

MadJack68-
    I hope you enjoy it. After seeing your post, you should really be named HappyJack. It's hard to be Mad with that video!

Back to business. Big heat wave here. Not much done this week. Today we get back to it. I will be posting pictures later today.

10. NorthBayArea

NorthBayArea
    from Smyrna, DE

Hey Rick,

The youtube stuff has been amazing! Gotta tell you, I'm super pumped to watch the chassis come together. I have always wished I could attend a chassis building workshop with Mr Eastwood, since most of my favorite cars ride on frames he put together. I'm 34 now and I had kind of given up on that dream, but I just realized yesterday this was actually going to happen. Please try to show as much of the work as you possibly can. This is awesome! Thanks again to you and Pete for putting this up for all to see.
    We're loving the shirts, by the way.

-Dan Fisher
    (Clayton, DE)
    <!-- / message -->

11. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Dan- Thanks for the kind words. Sometimes I worry that people think this is ego driven....but when I was starting out there was nothing like this and as a young guy you had to prove yourself before the older guys would give you the time of day and share tips with you. Just the few videos and pictures with explanations that we posted are the type of tips that not only will save hours of work, but produce a better finished product. Isn't that what this hobby should be all about?
    OOPS...better get off of my soapbox.

12. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

Ah, there's the Rick I remember. You are ever so right about the "old days" and having to prove yourself. Of course when you did, you usually won the old farts over, me experience with Pete C coupe for example. You have been doing a good job of sharing the knowledge with the rest of the world now. A few more photos of the details would help though. Keep it up and tell Pete Hi.

13. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Dale- Thanks for the kudos.
    For everyone else....the Pete C coupe he is referring to is "The California Kid". Probably one of the most well known Hot Rods in history.
    Here is a before and after of making the rear side window reveals fit correctly.

Attached Files:

14. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

I was at The County when the first car was running. I think is was at a
    "Street Rods Unlimited" event. Not sure. Anyway fun to watch for sure.
    That thing ran hard for the time. Good to see it come back sorta. Great job.

15. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Shoprat- You are absolutely right. It was at the Street Rods Unlimited run. I still have the dash plaque and it did run hard.
    To be honest, any legitimate street car today that runs 11.57 is still pretty good.
    Being that it is the original chassis, I think with today's tires it should be in the 11.00 range. Still not bad even for today for a small dollar car.

16. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

I forgot to put in the post about the "California Kid" that Dale (Weedburner 40) was the body man and painter. He was also the painter of Jake's coupe and if memory serves me right, the Super Bell Coupe of Jim Ewing. Not a bad resume!

17. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

yada, yada, yada...Rick...I love you and P-wood for doin' this, but post more pics dammit! purdy please

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  18. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I'm veering O/T here, but I kinda miss that same pecking order. The old guys would tolerate you for a bit, correct you when you said something stupid like " Model A five window coupe", Then tease you for ever for not knowing the difference! Eventually would come the day when your opinion was asked for, and you knew you had made it... Kids have it too easy in these days of little league with out keeping score!

19. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

20. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

Hey Rick, thanks for the pat on the back. The little tips are always helpful, even to those of us that have done it before. Someone else's take on things may make the next one easier for us. Just a little tip for Pete, when I am doing tig work on sheet metal, I use .035 wire from my mig machine. The smaller wire takes less heat.

21. Thats a great tip. I'll try that.

22. Hey Rick, hows that weekly update thing coming along?:cool:

23. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Rick,
    Just saw this post today. Living in T.C. and having a 34 Chassis done by P-Wood back in 86(while employed @ Arcadia Body Shop) and owning his Former 34 Stocker woody that I used to visit when @ P&J's I felt intrigued by this post of "The Re-Creation Of the Eastwood & Barakat C-Dan".

I know the car from seeing it sneak around up till about late 82, then I understood that Joey Di Marco purchased the underpinnings. I remember the crash in the Alley of of Chestnut & Ivy where Pete worked with his brother who did upholstery and Rick Rotondo and his 32 Coca-Cola Panel.

The chassis that is under Joey's car is what is left of the original E&B 32,(Wreck #1) The Rail was replaced and the Chrome 4-bar that you thought Jake has is actually in Jerry Slover's possesion (current owners of P&J's)- I have seen it in person. (Jakes's could've have been from a subsequent accident of the DiMarco car spoken about below)

Joey's sister actually wrecked it again,suposedly it was straighted again,(Wreck #2).
    Back in 1989 Joey had ran out of gas on the 580 nearby Pleasanton and the 32 was hit again,(I Have Pix)repaired by Eastwood and the Hanneman Fibreglass left rear 1/4 was installed by Cal Tanaka=Vintage Hammer & Color when located in his garage in No.San Gabriel,(Wreck #3) and possibly another,because was redone a few years back,(I can drop by and see Joey about that)?

When talking w/P-Wood, it was always stated that the chassis was under Joey's car, so I'm not sure what's up here???? In fact I believe the Streeing Column,Wheel, Grill Hood,Original Tank, Halibrands(which I understood were originaly Chapouris' off his T, then the Kid went with that deal) Joey still had em and they were @ one time mounted on the front of the Super Prune. The original headers even look like the work of Tom Cullen?????

The roof section of your former chopped sedan came from Harry (Horte-Van) Vanderwyck who also has pix somewhere and the original sedan lower body that he had turned in to a Dune Buggy for Pismo trips back in the 60's in his Pasadena garage.

I remember seeing the replacement 34 at our Outriders Picnics back in like 86 @ Bob Andersons' yard, Love model 40's but IMHO the 32 was Soooo Much Coooler, It was even christened Bitchenist Hot Rod by a Petersen Pub!

Please refer to this build as a Re-Creation of the E&B 32 and not a rebuild of the original. I know Pete built-(builds), many chassis,but over time he may have the facts wrong on this one or perhaps it is I based on information provided by Pete????? ;).

24. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

Kevin
    Rick brought your post to my attention, so let me set things straight. Here's the story on the E&B Sedan / Joey DeMarco Roadster, it's a little convoluted, so I'll try to keep this simple.
    Barakat and I sold the sedan to Joey & Rick Rotondo. Literally the next day they put a Wescott roadster body on the car. They removed the fiberglass firewall from the roadster and then swaped bodies. This created a roadster that was the complete E&B sedan with a simple body change. That lasted one day!
    That day, DeMarco & Rotondo drove the car to my shop to show me what they had done. I got in the car and did a big burn out in the alley behind my shop. That didn't end well, I hit a block wall and put the right front wheel back into the cowl ! Wreck#1
    I rebuilt the car, replacing the FRAME, front axle, spindles, spring, shocks, 4-bar, one hood side, and I'm sure a lot of litte things. During this rebuild Joey painted the body, and the replacement frame, giving him a finished orange roadster.
    Some time later Joey's sister wrecked the car, and I put front frame horns on it. Wreck # 2
    Once on the way to Plesanton Cal Tanaka ran out of gas in his coupe, Joey stop to assist, and a rubber necker hit the roadster. This pushed the left rear wheel up into the Quarterpanel. Once again I rebuilt the car. The entire rear end assembly was replaced, rear end, spring, ladder bars, shocks, headers, the other hood side, and I'm sure a lot of litte things. Wreck #3
    Another time at Plesanton Joey rolled the car on it's side in front of the host hotel ! (don't ask !) Again I rebuilt the car replacing more of the original E&B parts. Wreck#4
    Over the years Joey has worn out or replaced other parts as well, I believe he told me he even changed engines. So today, Joey's roadster still has some original parts from the E&B sedan. The grill & shell, hood tops, radiator, firewall, steering column & steering wheel, Instrument & switch panel, wheels, (maybe the gas tank), rear spreader bar, (maybe the trans), throttle linkage, wiring, trans tunnel & front floor,
    Joey was here a couple of days ago and brought the roadster by so I could copy the column drop, and switch panel for the sedan. I guess you could say that Joey's roadster is like George Washington's ax, It's only had the head changed twice & the handle three times.
    The bent portion of frame and the bent 4-bars Rick posted the pic's of, are from the first wreck, I've had the frame piece all along, and Jake had the 4-bars, they kicked around P&J's for years, showing the durabilty of their parts, and I recently got them from Jake.
    A year or so after the first wreck, I got some 32 frames & pieces from a guy. In that stuff were some pieces I figured I could use to repair the original wrecked E&B frame, that was out behind my garage. Thats when I spliced in the replacement right front frame section, and built it into a useable chassis, which I then sold. That is the chassis Rick and have bought back!
    What Rick and I are starting with, for the rebuild of the E&B sedan, is that chassis, which has the orginal frame from the E&B sedan. As you can now see, all most all of the other orginal chassis pieces have been wrecked and discarded while under Joey's roadster.
    Call it whatever you want, Rick and I are rebuilding the E&B sedan on the orginal frame, the frame being the foundation of any car.

Pete Eastwood

25. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

ALLL RIGHT!!! Pete! Just got my P-Wood Garage shirts- so stoked!!!!

26. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Wow, George Washington's axe. hahaha

27. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

"Call it whatever you want, Rick and I are rebuilding the E&B sedan on the orginal frame, the frame being the foundation of any car."

And at what point does it really matter whether it is a re-build or re-creation, especially since the original E&B sedan doesn't even exist in it's original form and hasn't for many years. What's important here is that the car will live again, period.

28. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Thx Peter for sheading even more light on it.(The Ax analogy is a funny thing as I just used that as an example myself when talking to a fellow Tromper about this very subject,before reading this reply, (People just want history recorded as correctly as possible). This being your #1 post
    Welcome to the HAMB.:D

Dale, It's nice seeing you on here as well. Miss your talents here in TC.
    Re: your quote. Agreed, As one of the 75 Deuces, I'm sure the current owner of the what was shown as the E&B 32 would state that the car exists-(in soon to be 3 forms), His Body,being what was shown, Joey's Roadster being what was left of the mechanicals, and now this pieced together frame.

Mind you, I dig that car,it was always a fave, Super Stoked that its coming together again! It's not the original complete car,but will be a reasonable facsimile which to many will make them very happy as well judging by the response from this thread, Nuff said.

29. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

Kevin, I agree with your take about there being the sedan in three different guises. And what really defines what is the original car. I have just put a new chassis under my 34 coupe that I have had since 1968. Does that make it new car? I don't consider it a new car, just me old 34 with a new frame to replace the old one that was pieced together some 40 years ago from two. As for missing my talents in TC, as Mike Martinez, Red Bluff isn't that far away.

30. Good to see you here Pete.....Welcome.......JimA, talked to your Dad @ the Outriders picnic last Sunday......said you're doing good.....