Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tech: Installing a T-5 behind a 235 ci Six in a 55-59 Chevy truck w/ short shifter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1958apache, Sep 7, 2011.

1. adamshumard

adamshumard

Still very curious about the spacer...

2. 1958apache

1958apache

What are you curious about? :cool:

I'm still updating my original post with the details of the install. If I missed something let me know and I'll try to clear things up.

3. Inline

Inline
    from Ohio

Glad everything worked out for you. Good job on the tech post...

4. adamshumard

adamshumard

Just price and availability

5. adamshumard

adamshumard

So what was the final thickness of the spacer? An inch or an inch and a 1/16th?

6. 1958apache

1958apache

The short throw shifter spacer was an 1.25". The final trans spacer was 5/8"

PM "Inline" if you want to know any details, he made a couple for his projects.

7. gonzo

gonzo

I have wanted to try this set up in a daily driver for a while, could you figure out what your getting for fuel economy? Looks great and thanks for posting.

8. 1958apache

1958apache

Such good mileage that I don't check... :)

I'll run some numbers over the next tank.... I run it until she sputters, then fill her up!!!

9. Ken Smith

Ken Smith
    Alliance Vendor

Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
  10. 1958apache

1958apache

Yeah. The first adapter plate was a touch too thin. The second plate is in and it shifts perfect. I didn't have to shorten anything with the second plate. A friend with a machine shop made mine.

11. speedyg948

speedyg948

wow great tech posting gonna save it for future use!

12. MISTER TWISTER

MISTER TWISTER

Good job on the documentation and pics. This post will really help others doing the same swap in the future. The 6 cylinders seem to be getting very popular lately with today's fuel prices. They sound cool too..

13. 1958apache

1958apache

14. Ken Smith

Ken Smith
    Alliance Vendor

Sorry. I did not mean to offend you. Someone asked a few times where to get one retail. I didn't realize Inline sold them retail. You said a friend machined one for you.

I also tried to provide some technical help as to why your clutch disc wouldn't release. The S-10 bearing retainer/throwout sleeve is 4 1/2" long. The original sleeve is 3 3/16 long. If you use a 9/16" thick spacer, the sleeve will protrude 3/4" longer than stock. This will press the clutch disc into the flywheel and not allow it to release. A 5/8" spacer will leave the sleeve to protrude 11/16" longer than stock. I recommended shortening the sleeve so that it would have the same geometry as the original set up.

Other people might have the same problem as you and I thought they would find this information useful.

15. 1958apache

1958apache

No worries... I hadn't had my coffee this morning. Thanks for the info. That's what we learned, and the reason I had INLINE make me a new 5/8" spacer. I chose not to shorten the sleeve as it has plenty of clearance with the thicker spacer.

Thanks for the tech info.

16. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Does anyone know how the NWC T-5 compares strength-wise, with an original 55 Chevy pickup 3 speed, or 3 speed OD? I would assume that the T-5 is the stronger transmission, but is it???

I'm planning to use my 55 1/2 ton occasionally, (maybe 1 or 2 times a year), for towing a 18 foot car trailer, with my 55 Chevy 210 on the trailer. Would a T-5 hold up OK? How about a stock 3 speed OD?

17. 1958apache

1958apache

The 5-speed is awesome!!! Just drove 2.5 hrs away in the truck to pick up a 1950 8BA Flathead motor...... Now I just need a car to put it in!!!!

18. cool tech article thanks dude! instead of buying a "custom" clutch disc you can alway purchase a different input shaft with 10 spines that will use stock clutch disc.

19. hotdamn

hotdamn

question guys, I put a 3spd od behind my 54 235 and it bolted up perfect, so if I put a t-5 behind a sbc would I need to space it out?

20. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

That may or may not work and will be as expensive or moreso than a custom clutch disk. Most of my custom disks end up costing <$50.

You can't just swap input shafts willy nilly either. First, it has to be a like build (WC vs NWC), and second, it has to be the same gear ratio.

21. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

thats what this thread is about...try reading it

22. 1958apache

1958apache

Hope it helps. I used the stock S-10 clutch disk I pulled from the junkyard and the stock 235 pressure plate. I forget what I paid for the clutch disk, but it was cheap. Clutch disk looked brand new. I dont see the need for a custom shaft. I would go with an astro van disk before I went with custom shafts or disks.

23. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is the '55-'62 bellhousing the same on both cars and trucks?

24. El Caballa the bellhousing are the same 55'-59' car and truck because in 60' the trucks started using hyd. clutch setup. Flat Ernie your correct on same gear ratio and that nwc and wc input shaft will not interchange. the nwc s-10 and amc t-5's have same gear ratio and the input shaft interchange. new input shaft is around $100 and will give you same spline as stock gm trans of 10 spline so you can use stock clutch setup.

25. hotdamn

hotdamn

try not being a dick and answering my question if you are indeed the possesser of such knowledge.

I have now read this thread 4 times and see nothing about bolting a t-5 to a sbc.

maybe I keep missing it? either way it would take just as much energy for you to answer my question as it would to be a dick.

26. Snarl

Snarl

As for a 7 1/8" long input shaft version of the T5 with the Chevy bolt pattern, it is the same procedure regardless of engine type (216-261, 194-292, SBC, BBC). Either modify the the input and bearing retainer, or buy the spacer plate.

Ideally, you would want to use a Camaro V8 T5 behind an SBC. Better gearing, a little stronger, can swap cable and electric senders, has regular input shaft length. Only drawback is the shifter location, and that can be delt with in a variety of ways.

As for swapping the input shaft for 10 splines. AMC T5's were all NWC 4.03 first gear as I recall. The trans you would be putting it into would need to be a NWC with the same gearset and number of teeth on the input . I don't see this as being any better of a solution than changing the disc because it will require a partial teardown of the trans, which is beyond what most people are willing to do, which means they would need to pay someone to do it. Also, most clutch disc sizes are now available over the counter in 14 spline due to the popularity of the swap. Spending $50-75 on a disc sounds like a better way to go to me, but you can do it either way...

27. hotdamn

hotdamn

thanks for answering my question Snarl, I figured that was the case but I just wanted to have that confirmed by someone:)

so in your opinion cutting the shaft and retainer just as good as buying a spacer??

28. Snarl

Snarl

Works for me. You also need to test fit the trans and disc to the engine to make sure the disc will slide back far enough to disengage from the flywheel when doing this without that thick spacer. Usually it doesn't slide back enough, and you need to either grind some off the back end of the disc center, lengthen the splines with a dremel tool, or use a thin 1/8" spacer between the trans and bellhousing. Much thicker than 1/8" and you will loose your center hole registration.

The main advantage of that thick spacer is that you won't have fitment issues with the disc and input splines and you don't need to cut anything off the tip of the input shaft, but since you still apparently need to shorten the bearing retainer and drill out the mouting holes on the trans case, using this method is not quite as "worry free" as some seem to think when it comes to swapping out a whole trans "on the road".

Your choice. One method is cheaper, the other is easier...

29. Great info guys, think I would like to a T5 behind my 300 Ford 6 in a 79 F100, any info of this transplant? STEVE [email protected]

30. Ken Smith

Ken Smith
    Alliance Vendor

In regard to the question of whether or not a spacer is needed if the bolt pattern is the same; we have heard from many people who have not used spacers and have had problems with the clutch disc binding in the splines on the transmission.

Snarl's post is a great explanation of the issue.