Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pouring my shop floors for the first time....in 26 plus years!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Harpo, Sep 8, 2011.

1. Harpo

Harpo

today officially marks the day that I will be getting my shop floor poured...Concrete! ITs been 26 plus long years that I have been trying to get this done...what started out as a 10 x 8 shed when my dad bought the place way back in 1979, was officially updated in the 80's and is now a 24 x 24 shed, to soon become a shop for my 65 truck project :)...I know it seems simple, but I am excited :)

2. Rem

Rem

It's amazing how much we'll put up with in the way of garages/shops/sheds.

I've been at my current house for 15 years, and last year I finally got around to knocking down the run-down single car garage (that was so full of crap I never got a whole car inside), and put up two decent sized ones - one for finished stuff and one for a workshop. No more working outside, or under a car port in the freezing cold and rain. :)

Of course, now there's no excuse for not getting stuck in to all those unfinished projects!

3. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

mine is still dirt :( how thick you going? waterproof membrane under??

4. Harpo

Harpo

its gonna be 4 1/2 inches and yep putting down a water barrier, as my property is wet most days ...

yep, the truck will officially have a good home (the 65 f100) that I can take it all the way apart now. also I am eliminating so much extra "crap" out of my shed, my sister had 11 or 12 totes...i had a good reason to get her to move it lol
    now if i can consolidate 1/2 the rest i will be good. :)

5. DEEPNHOCK

DEEPNHOCK

You should be excited!
    I put up with a sand floor in my futureshop for 4 years.
    Put 32+ yards down, put doors up, and what a difference!
    Good for you!

6. That's pretty exciting! Nice to have a good flat solid surface to work on.

My garage is 26' x 24' and still has the original floor from 1953 or so. No major cracks anywhere but the surface is beat up here and there. As soon as I could I hit it with a sealer which keeps the dust down quite a bit.

Bob

7. Harpo

Harpo

1/2 my concrete is done! the other truck arrives tomorrow...:) here are a few before and after pics...

Attached Files:

8. Make up some pipe with a section of chain in it for floor hold down points.
    Best thing I did when I added a 1.5 to the side of my single.

9. Harpo

Harpo

Day TWO! :) I must not be as excited today as I was yesterday, as I slept all the way to 4:45 am instead of being up at 3:30 am lol....another cement truck on the way :)
    wish us luck!
    thanks
    Ben

10. dad-bud

dad-bud

Ahhh, yes, the slab pouring party - invited some friends around to help on my first garage - 22 x 22 - we had to barrow in about 5 cubic metres (about 6 cubic yds) of pre-mix, When the concrete went hard (as it should), I welded up a frame from a bunch of angle iron and clad it, then set about building my first car.
    Ahhhhh, the memories.
    Oh yeah, and no matter how big you make it, it will never be big enough.
    Good luck with yours.

11. kkustomz

kkustomz
    from Texas

12. Harpo

Harpo

thanks....yes a agree dad-bud...its never big enuff when it comes to shop space...it always seems to get used :)
    i even had enuff left in the truck i added a 13 ft by 43 inch wide pad on my carport :)

here are the final pictures...

NOW ...whos gonna help me put all my junk back in lol

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 9, 2011
  13. railroad

railroad

Congratulations. I know you will be thankfull everytime you have to get under a car.
    Add some more side post on 4 foot centers and start closing it in.
    I know how good you feel. I was in tall cotton when I had my shop built.

14. chuxx

chuxx

Looks great! Don't put that junk back in there, haul it to the dump, hide it behind the shop, or dig a hole and bury it. Just don't give up any of your work space. Do you have any storage space above?

Check out garagejournal.com for some good ideas on organizing and setting things up.