Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 41 plymouth coupe 392 hemi build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by farmer12, Apr 7, 2010.

1. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

Hey there's an extra pedal in there! :D Thats going to be a blast to drive.

2. farmer12

farmer12

Bolted the body to the chassis and jacked the car up. I now have enough room to get underneath so I can bolt the tunnel in place. Finishing that off tomorrow. Last pic is the car jacked up in my garage. Going to throw some stuff out tomorrow in order to create a better workplace.:)

Attached Files:

hemi v8 likes this.
  3. wow! The car looks fantastic!!! So what is the plan now? Are you going to finish mocking everything up then take it apart for final body work and paint?

4. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks Hivolt5.0! To answer your question, yes. Still a bit of metal work to do, but then I will completely mock it up, then tear it down again for bodywork/paint. I ain't there yet!

5. Skirv

Skirv

Very very nice farmer. I can't wait to see the big Chrysler planted in there. Good job on a very nicely styled car.

6. POLYFRIED 35

POLYFRIED 35

7. Mr4Speed

Mr4Speed

Wow,

That car looks perfect! Nice work Eric.
    Can't wait to see it mocked up.

8. rubens

rubens

Geweldig!!! Hope the weather is better next year!
    Cherio ;-)

9. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you all gentlemen for the kind words. Unfortunately I having been feeling great the last few days due to a cold.......Hope to be back in the garage tomorrow.

10. powhatan42

powhatan42

Eric,

Hello. Wow you have been busy...Very nice indeed. I have been "working", I know no profanities, however we experianced a storm Irene. We were restoring electric to Long Island for the past 10 days.

Feel better!!! The car is really coming together now, all your hard work will shine through shortly, and you can fire up that Hemi!

11. Plung

Plung
    from San Diego

I think this has just become my favorite build thread. Love the lines and the hemi, you must be proud. Outstanding work. This car should be in TRJ when you're finished with it! (IMHO.)

12. robleticia

robleticia

I dont see why it wouldnt make TRJ and a few more! Its gonna be bad ass!

13. koolkemp

koolkemp

Looking great Farmer ! It must feel great to have some primer on the body and have it up on its wheels as well!!

14. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Go, Eric, Go! You're making REAL progress now!

15. Roadrash91

Roadrash91
    from desert

great looking car! very original...

16. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks guys. TRJ is my favorite too. I'm sure they must be watching the Hamb every now and then........:)

17. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

Real nice job, Eric...it continues to look better and better with every update.

You're a man on a mission...keep that drive going!!! :cool:

18. Inspirational! That is the great thing about this and the other great build threads, thanks for taking the time to document and share. TRJ is the greatest print for sure and the HAMB is the greatest real time news and information site as well.

19. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks for the support Keith!

20. C0ra1l1

C0ra1l1

Some cars just talk to you and this is one of them. Hope we'll see it in Euronats 2012, Eric!

-Pasi

21. farmer12

farmer12

Finished up the tunnel this morning and did a test fit of the steering column in preparation for the "firewall ball". Also put the bench seat in.....looks like it will clear the tunnel. I'm going to have to figure out how I'm going to support the frame as it is raised about 5-6 inches.

Attached Files:

22. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks Pasi! Good to hear from you again. Euronats 2012.....maybe. I'm working as fast as I can without rushing. "When will the car be finished" is what I get asked often. My answer is always, "it's finished when it's finished, no deadlines".

23. plmczy

plmczy

Firewall ball?

24. farmer12

farmer12

Hahaha, I knew someone was going to question this. Maybe this progress report will clarify it.....

The intial hole in the firewall I had made for the for the steering column was not large enough. The diameter needed to be 2 7/8 and mine was quite a lot smaller. There were several options to increase it, but opted for my way.:D

I bought a circular saw which attaches to my drill. The only problem was that the attachment piece has a drill in it in order to centralize the hole. In order to overcome this, I used one of the rings (that comes with the "firewall ball") and drilled 3 holes. (I wanted the hole moved up a little bit too btw.) Then got three wood screws and used a piece of wood on the inside of the firewall. There! A way to centralize the hole. The rest of the installation was easy.

Now if someone knows the correct word, let me know.:p

Attached Files:

25. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Thats a cool steering column! Who makes it?

26. plmczy

plmczy

Your talking about a hole saw. That was a good idea using a block of wood to help center the drill bit.

27. Griznant

Griznant

Now THAT was a good idea. Nice! :cool:

Keep up the great work!

28. farmer12

farmer12

The column is made by Ididit and the steering wheel is from Juliano's. They fit together perfectly.

Attached Files:

29. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Thanks for the info. I got the GM column put back in my '51 F1 and it looks kinda clunky. Something like yours would be a cleaner install I think.

30. farmer12

farmer12

I just checked out the Ididit website and they call it a "swivel ball floor mount." I still think "firewall ball" sounds cooler though.....;)