Register now to get rid of these ads!

1928 chevy 4cyl motor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RedRodder, Apr 7, 2010.

1. dmulally

dmulally

Thanks Herb. I am a big fan of the early chev gearbags (including my sm420 in my full size) because of the length. They are such a neat package. I think I may go this way. I will have to make it bolt on and off as I have a few spare gearboxes.

2. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

Just picked up a 28 Chevy motor yesterday! this thread is amazing!!!

Can anybody tell me what the casting numbers would tell me?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Your engine was cast on Sept 8, 1928... and you have a '27 or earlier head on there :)

4. ebtm3

ebtm3

Mac, you beat me to it!

The I 8 8 translates to I, ninth letter of alphabet= September, 9th month
    8, eighth day of month
    8, year, 1928

Most major castings have this code cast somewhere on them. Your head COULD be much earlier--it will have the code cast on top. Also your head will have stamped on the gasket face of the exhaust port, the serial number of the car it came off of--unless it is a replacement. One port heads were VERY prone to cracking in the exhaust port, if overheated. Most times you see a '28 head on an earlier block because of this. Also the '28 head had larger valves, and 1 1/2 to 1 rockers, instead of 1 to 1 on the single ports so it made sense to buy a '28 setup if you cracked an early head- you got a little more HP.

And Mac--

You asked a while back what compression I expected to get with the GMC 270 pistons. Now that the rings have seated a little bit, I took a compression test and it is twelve and one half to one. Spark knocks like a bitch unless you stay right on the manual advance/retard lever. Guess that it's flat top piston time again. Man, I'm gettin tired pulling this thing apart. Anybody want to make a reasonable offer(avatar car)? I'd rather work on the 224 FB engine.

Herb

5. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

Hey guys thanks! I got it for free so I'm not going to complain!

6. Anytime 235!

I have an extra '28 head if you're needing one :)

Herb, what about using a shorter connecting rod?

I'll also throw my .02 in for Herb- his roadster is VERY well-built and cute as a button...

If they paid teachers even what the lowest-earning pro athelete got (and if I weren't 6'6"), it'd be in my garage!

7. ebtm3

ebtm3

Herb, what about using a shorter connecting rod?

Well, the A rods in the engine are all magnafluxed, and polished.

The 270 pistons are heavier than what I would like.

And the "dome" could be a lot better shape.

One of those things that you just have to try, and after you do, you wonder why you did.

How about we cut 6" off your legs to make you fit better?

Herb

8. noboD

noboD

Herb, I'd think being off work ALL summer he could get another job to pay for it, instead of laying around the house watching Oprah !?

9. "Oh no you didn't?"

10. ebtm3

ebtm3

Ya-use nos dem their teatchers. Nevir kould koten two em.

Herb

11. Yeah, me and Oprah hung out in the retention ponds I cleared this summer to help cover the bills :p

Not all of us get to play with all the fun toys you two have and get paid for it, Doug :D

Oh, and we just found out that Willlam (our oldest) needs glasses (couldn't see the 2nd line)- YEEHAW!!!

Ron Young likes this.
  12. F&J

F&J

I just got this one in for some work. Last inspection sticker on windshield is 1958. It was used many decades ago in front of a Chevy Dealer for yard art.

Got it to run a few days ago. they parked it due to a broken distributor mount, which tore up the brass dist gear.

The owner wanted to get it to run, drive, and stop, and fix the broken off exh manifold. I just finished putting on the tires and drove it out to see if it could move and stop. :)

I still need to finish the vacuum fuel pump tank work..and a few other things...like find cloth spark plug wires. For now, I used trailer wiring :rolleyes:..hey, it's color coded..

It's a 22 Chevy Baby Grand

Attached Files:

13. dmulally

dmulally

Does anyone here have any pics of a gearbox sans engine and torque tube? I want to do some comparissons.

Happy to show you more of mine ;)

Cheers

Damo

14. If I can dig one out, I'll grab some pics- watcha thinkin?

15. dmulally

dmulally

The one I am using for mockups is bare bones and I just want to check that what I do have is 27/28. I have a few but they are all at the farm in storage. I am wanting to get a rebuild kit (I hope the exist!) so before I do I just want to confirm what I have to avoid tears later on.

Here is mine for reference.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Kume

Kume

bolts on side are for left and right hand drive handbrake so post 1925. new Bearings, idler shafts, bushes and thrust washers are available from filling station etc. Gears are a problem but sometimes see nos stuff on ebay. There is also an aftermarket front seal made by billy possum that greatly improves oil retention.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  17. Has anyone ever tried stuffing later 3 speed gears (thinking syncro'd) into an early trans?

18. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I know one of the T speedster innovators over on MTFCA.com tried to do a planetary three speed in a two-speed case, but couldn't get beefy enough gears inside. He did indicate that a sliding-gear conversion using Model A gears was probably possible, though.

So, I'm thinking that if you can stuff A gears in a T case, that something like '38 gears in a '28 case isn't impossible. Although maybe it's more akin to '39 Ford gears in a Model B case, which is also done despite the case not being clearanced for the larger gearset.

Try it, it's not like '28 Chevy transmissions are rare and valuable!

-Dave

19. dmulally

dmulally

Thanks mate.

Now to convert the ass end to take a uni. I hope the output shaft is mild steel.

20. I'll see if'n I can find a later 3 speed over the next few days :)

21. ebtm3

ebtm3

I received a VERY interesting link, from a fellow HAMBer, David Graham, of Victoria Australia. It starts out about Buicks, but if you go down the page there is a bit about a chap, Bill Eldridge, who used his '28 Chevy as a cross country vehicle--thinks that there is no point in it if you use 4 wheel drive! Any of you chaps in OZ know him, or can supply more info?

http://www.mvec.org.au/transmission/..._Sept_2010.pdf

Also, there is an Aussie site that I keep track of---

http://feralsportscarclub.net/

A whole group of old car blokes that do the same thing--not necessary Chevys, but a lot of fun to read.

Thank you David!

Herb Kephart

22. brianf

brianf

Would you make/sell another upper rocker assembly?

23. ebtm3

ebtm3

Assume that you are referring to me Brian.

Well, I could make another rocker setup, but it would be very expensive, as I have more old car work (primarily Stanleys right now) than I want to do, and that market is accustomed to paying big bucks.

But I will make you a deal- Buy my avatar car (I need ROOM) and I will throw in the rocker set that is on the three port head--along with the rest of the engine.

Herb

24. George Miller

George Miller
    from NC usa

28 Chev head on Model A engine 001.jpg

@8 chev Head on Model A engine 001.jpg I was ask to share this picture. This is a 28 Chev head with the other parts I used in the engine, which is a Model A.
    The head has Chev v8 valves, 216 rocker arms, Ford 6 carb home built intake.The adapter plate has a combustion camber machined in it.
    The rods are home built from 7075 alum, pistons are from a NASCAR chev engine. Camshaft was made by Bill Stipe. Crankshaft was counter weighted by me. I also used inserts in the mains.

Attached Files:

25. George Miller

George Miller
    from NC usa

Here is a picture of the olds 455 head that I cut in the middle and added a spacer plate. Move all but two mounting holes, and moved the push rod holes.It bolts right to the Model A block with out a spacer plate. Water pump goes on the head just like a Model A.
    I had more pictures but lost them when my old computer went bad.

Attached Files:

26. brianf

brianf

Herb, very funny.....I was thinking $75.00 but....anyway, I will probably use the stock '28 Bowtie rockers now..thanks.

27. George,

Thanks for posting the pics and info- I didn't realize that the Olds 455 head was modified for an A block (just didn't look/read close enough), but I would guess that the conversion would work for the Chevrolet block as well?

28. dmulally

dmulally

29. ebtm3

ebtm3

Love it! Wish I were enough of a techie to use it for a ringtone on my cell phone!

Herb