Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rehabilitation of a '33 Plymouth Coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 43gman, Jan 9, 2011.

1. skidsteer

skidsteer

This has really turned into an excellent thread. I have a '37 Plymouth hot rod, but have been thinking of getting a stock one from the early 30's, this helps me a lot, especially all the excellent sharp pictures, thanks.

2. I love your car!!

Hows the axle swap going??

BloodyKnuckles

3. dart165

dart165

Wow, this is great! Keep up the good work!

4. NateSedan

NateSedan
    from Oregon

Great looking car and a very thorough oil change you are doing. Keep up the nice work!
    -Nate

5. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very nice car . Thanks for sharing the build .

6. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

I love the early '30's MoPars, my '34 Dodge used a '70's Duster rear axle w/ 2.79 (?) gears, I miss the car.

7. Maybe we could meet in MT Airy?? Not too far for me.

Love the attention to detail. Can't wait to see it.

BloodyKnuckles

8. VonKool13

VonKool13

That car RULES and so do you for keeping it!

9. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

glad to see you back at it, even if you need to subcontract some stuff.

I have a suggestion for for your rear brakes, Drill out or grind off the rivets and seperate the hub from the drum. then drill out the lug holes and press lug studs into the hub. Then reinstall the hubs. Then let brake drum ride the lugs like a more modern set up. With this you will not need a puller next time the brakes need service.

If you think the current brake parts will outlast your tenure as owner, ignore the above.

The car looks great and I believe you will enjoy the crap out of it when you finaly get it sorted. You will be surprised with what a nice road car it will be. Just keep the revs reasonable and it will serve you well.

10. 48bill

48bill

G,

It's you car so do what you want with it. I like the connection to the past with the spot light.

As long as I've known you you march to a little different drummer. That's what this HOBBY is all about. Conformists drive egg shape Detroit or Jap stuff.

Keep marching. Hope your health is better. Ever try a copper bracelet?

11. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Perferated wind devices on the front window from the 60's, Plastic or chrome breezied from the 50's, necker kobs, anti static strips with reflector on the bottoms. wolf whistles, the package shelf cat brake lights, fox tails on the antenna. radip reverb onthe rear speaker. And of course the double mirrored safety passing device.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mQ98oFAxLo

12. G-man,
    Remember well all those 40's and 50's add ons. My first car was 1947 Chevy Fleetline or Fastback or Even Torpedo Style as they were called. Paid $30 for that car and the first thing I did was drop the tail with blocks, then added little Chrome Stop Lights on rear bumper pan. Lots of mud flaps around back then, though my paper route wouldn't allow me any more additional luxurys. Did have 270 GMC inline little later in it.
    My little 33 Plymouth coupe has 1940 Chevrolet Headlights installed, though I am not crazy about thier looks they were installed in 1947 when the car was built and will not be removed while I am its caretaker, in honor of its builder. I like the Mud Flaps!

Glad to see you are making progess take care of yourself, Jesse Graves
    ps: guess Ive been contrary all my life

Last edited: Sep 9, 2011