Register now to get rid of these ads!

Better sound? Split manifold or headers?? Flat six

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lakermatt, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Lakermatt

Lakermatt
    BANNED
    from Fresno,CA

Hello all !! I need your opinions on what is a better sound for my 218 mopar flat six. My dad had mentioned splitting the manifold for great sound, but found it is expensive!! I had a guy on here send me a link for headers to eliminate the need for the splitting. I want good sound from my 53 cranbrook and wanted your guys opinions on the issue. I also want your opinions on a suggestion my muffler shop had suggested with after doing my manifold or headers option to run one straight pipe and one 12" glass pack. Has anyone ever done that?? Sounds kinda screwy to me....

2. RisinOutlaw

RisinOutlaw
    from Tucson, AZ

3. Kensey

Kensey
    from Pittsburgh

I did split manifolds, installed the heat tube to still provided the needed heat to the carb, and ran glass packs. Sounded great. I'd go with Smitty's as well if you have the cash? Also, when I removed the oil bath air cleaner it ran like shit? Put it back one, ran great? I wouldn't do the one glass pack one straight pipe thing.

4. Straight Eight

Straight Eight
    from Howell, Mi

How about stock muffler on half and glass pac on the other, Sounds great on a straight eight!

5. Try a single larger full length pipe, you might like it,,,

6. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

That'll be enough of that subversive talk! He needs duals, and don't you forget it. Splitting the stock mopar six manifold is a pretty simple procedure.

7. tragic59

tragic59

I've never done it, but everyone I have ever talked to about mopar 6's, claims that running one glass pack and one straight pipe is the way to go...

8. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

I don't know how the Mopar is laid out but years ago we used to split them four and two. Keep the mufflers as close to the frontas possible ,smaller diameter tailpipes raelly make them sound really nice. We even had 1 1/4 inch tail pipes on some.

9. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Flathead mopar exhaust manifolds are laid out similar to 216/235 Chevy manifolds; 1-2-2-1. Splitting them 3 and 3 is a simple matter.

10. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Bach v Beethoven, AC/DC v Guns and Roses, Duals are duals weather they run through headers or split exhaust. Personally, I do not like the drone of a loud exhaust, so I went with 2 inch ID and a Dyno max turbo flow on the stock exhaust. It growls a bit when I'm on it, but is quiet at cruising speed. It provides an interesting enough idle note that folks wonder whats under the hood. The choice is up to your and your finance minister.

The one change I made to my manifold was to weld the manifold heater flap in the closed to the intake positioin.

11. rainhater1

rainhater1
    BANNED
    from az

my 49 Dodge had a split and sounded great the only way to go. straight pipe all the way back

12. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Definately split the manifold & blow a small dime sized hole in the plate, if you leave it solid block---You'll probably break some windows out!!!!!
    Back in the "day", (1950's), along with split manifolds, we ran 26 inch Porter mufflers (Steel packed), there is a sound that cannot be duplicated!

13. 35desoto

35desoto

I built a set of split headers (3 into 1) x2 on my 35 Desoto 241 ci and then joined both pipes up under the drivers seat and ran a good glass pack muffler. Pipes out of the engine were at 1 3/8" and the final pipe was 2" all the way over the diff and out the back
    Gave the ol girl a really neat "note" and improved my torque something wicked

14. I built a set of headers for my 230 I ended up puting 4 glasspacks on it to tone it down a bit sounds like a airplane going slow gets real loud when you get on

15. moparmike

moparmike
    from Austin, Tx

I planned on splitting mine on the 230. But in the meantime I just put a 20" cherry bomb and dumped the single 2" pipe out the pass side in front of the rear wheel. It sounds so good I'm not sure anymore.

16. 66straight6

66straight6

run a 2-4 split and run either 18's or 22's. awesomeness.

17. 'Mo

'Mo

This makes some sense, when you consider that the driver's side pipe is longer, and has bends. The muffler would then be for the shorter, straighter passenger side (?).

18. Ogbomb

Ogbomb