Register now to get rid of these ads!

Unf#@*king a Plymouth frame

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MIKE47, May 2, 2011.

1. MIKE47

MIKE47
    from new jersey

Wrapped it up today.

Made a fuel tank. 15 gallons! 18 gauge mild steel. Reinforced where the straps run so it won't crush.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Finished the center x-member repair section and added 3/4" wide ribs under the lower edges to reinforce the sheet metal. Added an access hole for the sending unit. The pick-up tube and vent tubes will be accessible from the bottom easily.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pinion snubber system. Used the original diff. mounting plate. Made the top plate nice and robust. Bumper is 80A urethane. Adjustable by changing the thickness of the shim plate.
    [​IMG]

2. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

This looks great man, you're really doing a helluva job there. Keep it up!

3. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

That gas tank came out killer! Good job

4. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

Wow, that thing really started off as a mess. . . looks great now!

5. a prime example of why you should be required to show some sort of welding certification to buy a welding machine. You guys did a great job fixing it!

6. metalix_421

metalix_421

I think you saves it. from the looks of it, looks like that frame was going to end up going to the scrap pile. nice job

7. farmer12

farmer12

Keep up the good work, awesome.

8. MIKE47

MIKE47
    from new jersey

Thanks for the kind words guys. Chassis delivered to it's owner. I'm sure he'll be busy in the coming weeks getting started on the reassembly. Maybe he'll start a thread on the rebuild?

9. indianmark

indianmark

Thanks Mike for a great job saving my frame. Mikes work is top shelf and he is very honest and a pleasure to deal with. The cost of repairing/saving this frame was much higher than I wanted to spend but about 1/3 of the cost was removing the old shit that the last shop fucked up. This car came to me tubbed and was also not a good job. I wanted to de-tub it to suite my taste and improve handleing. I took it to a local shop where the guy does mostly body & paint work. He assured me that he was up to the job of de-tubbing the frame. We discussed the job and he showed me a couple of other frames that he said that he built. They looked great. I have since found out that he used to have a good welder/fabricator that worked for him that built those frames. With the economy being what it is he is now trying to do these things himself with the shit results that you have seen in these pictures. I had dropped by to check on the progress and found the shitty welds and total lack of fabrication skills and stopped the job and took the frame back. I am still waiting for money back from the butcher. After getting the frame home and really looking it over I decided that the only thing to do was buy a new frame which are not available for 31 Plymouths, find a used one, no luck there or hire someone that I knew could do the job right.
    Mike at 47 industries is the go to guy for welding & fabrication skills for your hot rod or motorcycles. I highly reccommend him for building, fabrication, repairs or to unfuck your problems.
    Thanks again Mike for your expert job!

10. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

It still feels better to pay more and get er done right. You would have always had a sick feeling every time you drove it with the hack job. Now you got something you'll WANT to show everybody rather than hide it from the fellas'. Oh yeah, now it's safe too:)

11. indianmark

indianmark

I should have went to Mike first. He is about 1 1/2 hours from my house so I went with the local guy after he assured me that he could do it and showed me 2 other frames he said he did. He sucked me in and fucked me over. I would not have ever wasted any of my time building a car on that slop job of a frame or ever driving it. Now I have the confidence the frame will stand up to the task.
    Thanks again Mike!

12. swissmike

swissmike

Nice work Mike!

13. MIKE47

MIKE47
    from new jersey

Thanks Mike. Hope all is good in the land of blue hair and cadillacs. :D

Mark, Thank you so much for the kind review and your business and most of all for the confidence in trusting us to do the work on your car after a bad experience. It sucks to be deceived by people then not get any restitution. I hope you can reach an agreement with the other guy to get at least some of your money back.