Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Historic Stock Car Photos

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by indybigjohn, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

Panch leading a pack of Valiants. The cars were limited to their 6 cyl motors with 4bbl carbs. Multiple varbs were allowed as long as the total did not exceed 4, if I'm remembering correctly. Looks like Valiants were pretty much the car to have.
    <TR><TH>[​IMG]</TH></TR> <TR id=ph8mid><TD>
    <SCRIPT type=text/javascript>var photonotes = new Object();</SCRIPT>
    [​IMG]

</TD></TR>

2. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

The hot setrup for racing a Valiant in Nascar's compact series - a 4bbl carb on a special tuned manifold for Chrysler's slant 6 motor. Chrysler sold these as "hyper-paks" and they were used by some NHRA racers also.
    <TR><TH></TH></TR> <TR id=ph8mid><TD>
    [​IMG]

</TD></TR>

3. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

More Valiants in race action.
    [​IMG]

</TD></TR>

4. mrtc4w

mrtc4w

That is true. The Hyper-Pak Valiants dominated making it a very boring race. The only reason one of them did not do well is if it crashed.

Thanks for the picture! Where is it from?

Marty
    Marysville, OH

5. hemiman_1999

hemiman_1999

Thanks For the pics and the history fantastic reading I would really like to see and read more about these races.

6. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

Found it trolling the web.

7. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

This Petty Plymouth has fins on it which should make it old enough to fit the date criteria of this thread.
    <TR><TH>[​IMG]</TH></TR> <TR id=ph8mid><TD>
    [​IMG]

</TD></TR>

8. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

Looks like JimPaschal drove for the Pettys that year (1960) also.
    <TD id=view_photo_td><TABLE style="WIDTH: 500px"><TBODY><TR><TD><CENTER><TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD><TABLE id=ph_style8 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 summary=paschalplymouth60><TBODY><TR><TH></TH></TR><TR id=ph8mid><TD><SCRIPT type=text/javascript>var photonotes = new Object();</SCRIPT>
    [​IMG]

</TD></TR><TR><TH id=ph8bot>[​IMG]</TH></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></CENTER></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    </TD>

9. mrtc4w

mrtc4w

The first time I heard about the NASCAR 6 cylinder class was the MoPar Performance calendar picture of Lee Petty's Valiant. I later came across a 1/25 scale model car kit of a Valiant and I made a slot car out of it. Not to brag, but it is featured on one of the slot car racing web site:

http://www.professormotor.com/Articles.asp?ID=180

Hail to the King!

Marty
    Marysville, OH

10. Hot Rod Elvis

Hot Rod Elvis

Pics aren't showing up for me Pitts.

11. mrtc4w

mrtc4w

Me to, I mean, me two,.... yeah, what he said.

Marty
    Marysville, OH

12. jrose7004

jrose7004

I don't see em!

13. Sorry guys, for some reason, I can't post photos from my HAMB photo album on here....

14. Any photos from either

Pikes Peak Speedway in Colorado Springs or the nice little Dirt track in Dodge City Kansas on the backside of the City Park?

I'd love to see them!

Mark

15. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

A pretty famous '63 Plymouth Belvedere
    [​IMG]

</TD></TR>

16. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

Richard Petty, Jim Paschal............1962 Plymouths
    [​IMG]

</TD></TR>

17. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

He was a rookie sensation in Nascar in 1963 but then got killed in a racing accident - I think at Riverside before I started attending races there - someone with a better memory bank than I have can possibly confirm that.

BILLY FOSTER
    <TR><TD><!-- navigation -->
    <!-- navigation -->
    </TD><TD> </TD></TR><TR id=photo_view_row valign="top"><TD id=view_photo_td><TABLE style="WIDTH: 500px"><TBODY><TR><TD><CENTER><TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD><TABLE id=ph_style8 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 summary="#22 Billy Foster"><TBODY><TR><TH>[​IMG]</TH></TR><TR id=ph8mid><TD><SCRIPT type=text/javascript>var photonotes = new Object();</SCRIPT>
    [​IMG]

</TD></TR><TR><TH id=ph8bot>[​IMG]</TH></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></CENTER></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR>

18. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

Joe Ruttman's older brother
    [​IMG]

</TD></TR>

19. genuine jack

genuine jack

indybigjohn -
    i'm not quite halfway thru viewing this site [ my computer is S L O W !! ] , and i'm enjoying it more than i can say . i've never seen so many fords on the short tracks . maybe it was just up here - in the northeast - that fords were scarce . just my luck !:mad: .
    anyway , i wanted to ask a few questions about the pic of benny's car [above ] . was this his talladega ? i read a long time ago that benny destroyed his talladega early in 1969 , and had to finish the season with his '68 torino , which had been doing dirt track duty .
    also , i seem to remember that ARCA ruled the boss 429 engine illegal for use in it's races . was this true ? were the fords allowed to use 2X4 carburetors on their 427 in 1968 and '69 ?
    thanx a lot . "see you" here and over at randy's .

jack

20. DRH556

DRH556

Yes Foster was killed during the '67 Motor Trend 500 when he "lost his brakes" going into turn 9 (the old configuration that was changed for the '70 season). The car, a '67 Charger slammed the wall broadside & was demolished....He died of massive head injuries.

21. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

Thanks DRH.......I was there for that race but spent most of it down in the esses so couldn't see turn #9. Of course, they didn't announce a track death during the race itself. I can't seem to even remember that car, though - ol' memory aint what it used to be. Was Foster driving for Cotton Owens?

22. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

Riverside, Calif..........1965 "Motor Trend 500"

Losing the brakes at the end of Riverside's long back straight was not an uncommon occurrence. Here is a picture of AJ Foyt's Ford cartwheeling at the end of the straight headed into turn #9. Foyt broke his back - was lucky to live through it. A film sequence of this crash was used in one of those lousy stock car movies made in the late 60s or early 70s - I'm not sure which one but another poster told me it was "Redline 7000".

[​IMG]

23. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

Riverside, Calif,................1965

AJ Foyt in turn 6 a few laps before his crash in the above post.

<TABLE id=ph_style8 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 summary="AJVels5 1" sizset="0" sizcache="6"><TBODY sizset="0" sizcache="6"><TR sizset="0" sizcache="6"><TH sizset="0" sizcache="6">[​IMG]</TH></TR><TR id=ph8mid sizset="1" sizcache="6"><TD sizset="1" sizcache="6">
    [​IMG]

</TD></TR><TR sizset="2" sizcache="6"><TH id=ph8bot sizset="2" sizcache="6">[​IMG]</TH></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <!-- edit menu -->

24. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

Daytona..............1964 "Firecracker 400"

Foyt drove a few Mopars along the way too. Here he is on his way to a win in the "Firecracker 400".

<TABLE id=ph_style8 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 summary="a j foyt64firecracker" sizcache="6" sizset="0"><TBODY sizcache="6" sizset="0"><TR id=ph8mid sizcache="6" sizset="1"><TD sizcache="6" sizset="1">
    [​IMG]

</TD></TR><TR sizcache="6" sizset="2"><TH id=ph8bot sizcache="6" sizset="2">[​IMG]</TH></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <!-- edit menu -->

25. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

Bridgehampton Road course............1965

The #6 is David Pearson in the Cotton Owens Dodge. Don't know who is driving the #44 but looks like it is an AMC product (check out the side ad - says "Rambler").

<TABLE id=ph_style8 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 summary=4466Bridgehampton2 sizcache="6" sizset="0"><TBODY sizcache="6" sizset="0"><TR id=ph8mid sizcache="6" sizset="1"><TD sizcache="6" sizset="1">[​IMG]

</TD></TR><TR sizcache="6" sizset="2"><TH id=ph8bot sizcache="6" sizset="2">[​IMG]</TH></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <!-- edit menu -->

26. Racewriter

Racewriter

27. Is that truely Ralphs old 37 Ford coupe?

28. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

For Genuine Jack...

I don't know that much about the technical stuff. Most of the Fords in ARCA carried "427 C.I." on the hoods. Far as I know, it was one four-barrel. And I never saw Benny's Talladega on the short tracks, so that was the Torino. The crew chief told me they didn't change noses, the Talladega was a completely separate car.

29. genuine jack

genuine jack

thanx john .
    does anyone else know about the demise of benny's talladega , and /or the rules concerning the boss 429 or multiple carbs in ARCA ?

jack

30. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore