Register now to get rid of these ads!

A/C Restoration in Houston, TX Area

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BootleggerMatt, Sep 6, 2011.

1. BootleggerMatt

BootleggerMatt

My '64 Galaxie has dealer installed air. I've been driving in Texas with no a/c for years, but hey it's original... however, I'm at a loss at what to check, replace, modify, retrofit, to get it working, but I know I want to keep the original underdash unit for looks sake. Anyone know an a/c installer in the Houston area that would be willing to work with the original system instead of just tossing it, and throwing in a vintage air kit? Or could you recommend a good book so I may learn to do it myself?

2. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Well main issue is the evap and condesnor are pretty much toast if they havent been used in years and been left open lines etc... But parts can be found still...... probably lookin bout 1200 roughly in parts last time i priced the ones for my impala... If it had a facotry underdash unit those can be updated or swapped out to a rebuilt one.... hoses and compressors and condensors all gota be replaced basically.

3. BootleggerMatt

BootleggerMatt

I think mine still has a chance. There is still pressure in the system, and you can here gases circlulating kinda when it's on, just isn't doing anything for cooling.

4. cooger

cooger

Try South Texas truck A/C over off Oates Rd. Tom Hickman and Al, his parts guy, are the top of the line when it comes to under dash stuff. Both are old rodder types and really know their stuff. Also, Custom Car Cool, Oscar Arce (W/ S. Tx for years) has a rod shop off 290 that does great work. This is no problem for either of them.
    cooger

5. houston54

houston54

Contact Roger Lewis Makeover in Pearland. 281 485 7366
    He is a Vintage Air dealer and they have a new unit that looks identical to the old Mark IV units. Do not know the cost but in Houston it is worth it if you drive it.

6. FritzTownFord

FritzTownFord

+2 on Roger Lewis - great guy and honest as they come.

7. BootleggerMatt

BootleggerMatt