Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects LittleChris' 34 Pickup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by littlechris, Jul 15, 2011.

1. littlechris

littlechris
    from MILWAUKEE

This is my truck:
    [​IMG]

This is how I got it:
    [​IMG]

I thought it was time to share more of it and the progress I make with HAMB!

Well, since I can't seem to concentrate on one project, I decided to take a door off my pickup. I decided it deserved the driver’s door restored... I'm aiming to get it back on by the 31rst for the WMSE Backyard BBQ.

First, I took what was left of the pins out of the hinges and took before pictures of the door and decided what needs to be done. It had some repairs done to it years ago, and it looks like it needs some replacement metal where the lower hinge is attached. Obviously I need a door skin and door bottom, so I ordered that stuff from Howells.

<o:p></o:p>[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    <o:p></o:p>Instead of having the door sandblasted, I opted to have it dipped. I was told that Strip Rite, down the road from great lakes drag way in Union Grove did a good job nuetralizing the acid, so I took my door there.
    <o:p> </o:p>
    I made a new side piece and a die to form the bead in a press brake. Upon further inspection today after getting the door back, it looks like I&#8217;m going to have to make a few other pieces the replacement parts will not cover. They are a good start, but I found there is more work cut out for me&#8230;
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  2. littlechris

littlechris
    from MILWAUKEE

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I plan on making a few more peices of the puzzle tomorrow. I'll post pictures of what was left of the door after dipping as well..

3. I am impressed that a person as young as yourself is taking the time to do it right!

Started with your T coupe and building your Hemi the right way the first time... keep up the good work.

4. brady1929

brady1929

wow nice work

5. id be interested in seeing more pictures of your door progress. i too have alittle work to do on one of my 32's doors due to the lower hinge getting ripped off. that bead right there on that 90 degree has been a concern for a while, looks like your die should work nicely. does it butt up agaist the orignal metal good? might have to have you make me acouple

kee up the good work and lets see some more!
    [​IMG]

6. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Great quality work. Keep us updated on this project.
    Great job young man..!

7. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

ya really HAVE to appreciate a guy that not only knows what he's doing, but is willing to tackle a project like this and share it with us. I get educated everyday on here.

dj

8. littlechris

littlechris
    from MILWAUKEE

The new side peice seems to fit good, but because the door rotted out past the lower seal, I have to make a tool to form the compound bend of that section. Too bad the Howell's bottom doesn't go up that far..

Once I get the new bottom on, I can see how the sides fit. I also may need to pie-cut the side to fit the crown of the skin.

9. fleetside66

fleetside66

Keep up the good work, Grasshopper. It can be done, especially with those big-ass machines you have. If you get your Howells pieces before your hair turns gray, they'll work real well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. littlechris

littlechris
    from MILWAUKEE

Thats awesome. Your before picture looks just like my door! any finished pictures of the bottom?

11. fleetside66

fleetside66

Thanks..those doors took me a year & a day. The thing that made it difficult was that I didn't have a completed sample door to go by. I don't have a picture of the bottom, but that part was the easiest of all. The part you're doing with the hinges is the worst of all. The bottom's a no brainer compared to what you're doing now. Just take your time & make sure your fitment of the door in the door opening is right. Keep testing it as you go along. Things have a way of getting bigger or smaller when so much metal is missing. Don't forget to reinstall the inner window channel pieces if you've removed them to work on the hinge areas. Here's a shot of the finished product, which I hope will give you some inspiration. Best of luck!

[​IMG]

12. littlechris

littlechris
    from MILWAUKEE

here is the door dipped. It sure came out clean. I made the lower door seal bend today.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

GREAT JOB...keep it posted please.
    "AND THE BOWTIE ROLLS ON"

14. 32Gnu

32Gnu

Impressing.....

Nice truck!!

15. Engine-Ear

Engine-Ear
    Alliance Vendor

Chris, that's so WAAC! Cool to see pics of your project man. Give me a call next time you're out this and or heading to either Merkt's AB shops

16. wingedexpress

wingedexpress

Nice job on the patches.

17. Want to do my doors next???:D

18. Real nice work! Keep the pics coming. Where did you get the door dipped? It cleaned up nice.

19. 117harv

117harv

I'm not easily impressed, but you have done it! The work is outstanding, attention everyone this is how it's done:)

20. littlechris

littlechris
    from MILWAUKEE

Today I welded up the lower seal bend too the bottom. I made it pretty and finished it. you'll never see it, but I know its done good. I also trimmed off the icky stuff from the door and fit & tacked the new bottom in place. I guess now I have to make and fit the sides.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. Master of None

Master of None

Nice work! Had to do about the same to my doors. Think the 32-34 truck doors need to be on the list of projects for Brookville..

22. Wow, cool beans there LittleChris! :cool:

23. tattedfordguy

tattedfordguy

24. littlechris

littlechris
    from MILWAUKEE

Wow am I slow at doing this. I hadto fit the inner door to the cab and do some tweaking.. I'm in the pocess of welding it all up now. here are some crappy fitting pictures.

I am also working on chasing a vacuume leak. I think it is in the throttle shaft in the carb because when I turn and wiggle it, gas leaks out from behind the throttle plate. I picked up a new one from Dickster and I hope it solves all my problems. I can't keep the truck running under 1000 rpm right now. bummer.

The truck and I went to Wednesday wheels at classic slice tonight.. people must think I'm ghost riding the whip or delivering the mail with out a door..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. motion guru

motion guru
    from yacolt, wa

Nice Acorn tables - cant beat them (actually you can . . . and that's the point!) for welding / fixturing / bending. Every shop needs a table or two like that.

26. DYNODANNY

DYNODANNY

Man I love that 1st picture, looks just right.

27. littlechris

littlechris
    from MILWAUKEE

one month later...
    the bottom is pretty much finished, so are the sides, and corners;
    [​IMG]

The front corner also needed to replaced so I made a hammer form, made a lip, welded the patch on and folded it over.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have one more little patch, some lead work, and then I'll finally be able to prime the thing.

28. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

Man, they look friggin' great !

29. Very nice work Chris.:cool: