Register now to get rid of these ads!

My boy's first car. He chose a shoebox ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by northerndave, Aug 31, 2011.

1. northerndave

northerndave
    from Badger MN

I found shoebox ford from searching info here at the HAMB too. You're absolutely right! They have some great stuff over there!

The engine runs a bit rough, not terrible but not sewing machine smooth either. And it smokes like a bug fogger when you rev it up lol!! I suppose it needs rings and or valve stem guids/seals.

We haven't tried the overdrive yet. I'm not really sure how it works. I'm assuming you just pull the handle to engage OD. Assuming you get it up to cruise speed, let off on the gas for a second to unload the trans & pull the OD handle to engage?

2. I'm not sure which kid is having the most fun!

3. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

wow. how awsome!! lot sof great memories to made with this one. what a great car and a great family! I'll be following the build thread on this one!

4. dirt slinger

dirt slinger

Be sure and explain to your son that the shoebox will be cheaper than a woman and the car doesnt talk back!

5. pbr40

pbr40
    from NW Indiana

how kool!!! that should be a great time building that shubox!!! keep us posted on the progress

6. looks like a nice solid project... have fun and enjoy the build

7. Good advice on the H.A.M.B. and on shoeboxford.com! Really like the choice for your first car. My first was a '50 back in 1960 ($100.00) for a 2 dr. sedan with 90K on the speedo. back then. Your '51 should clean up real well. Be sure to take plenty of photos, already looks like your doing that and welcome to the shoebox group here :D
    Had to post my favorite photo of my '51, taken this past summer at JalopyShowdown by another HAMB member :D

Attached Files:

8. Flyinsolo71

Flyinsolo71
    from Austin

Be sure and buy a shop manual. You can find them on eBay. It has helped me out tremendously with both of my 51's.

9. TheLogLady

TheLogLady

Great score !... ShoeboxFord has helped me out more times than i can remember. You 2 are going to have a blast ! lucky squirt..

10. northerndave

northerndave
    from Badger MN

Great tips guys, much appreciated. I assume the shop manual is this "green bible" that people talk about?

ol skool 51, fantastic photos! I love the boat too!

11. Flyinsolo71

Flyinsolo71
    from Austin

Yes, the "Green Bible" would be it.

12. henryj429

henryj429

Nathan will need to find a tattooed up chick to go with that car.

13. northerndave

northerndave
    from Badger MN

He could fit 3 in there easy, why stop at just one? :cool:

14. PhilJohnson

PhilJohnson

Nice car. I really wanted an old car when I was 14 but my Dad just wasn't into them.

15. jmarshall97

jmarshall97

Well this is ironic. I just got a 1965 ford f100 from my neighbor for free it has no motor or trans, a ford nine inch and a bed fully topped off with bondo. Im 14 and this is my first project good luck with yours.

16. You mean like this;)

Attached Files:

17. henryj429

henryj429

When ya gonna come and pick my parts car?

[​IMG]

18. northerndave

northerndave
    from Badger MN

oh so we're callin it a "parts car" now? lol!!

Looks like a pretty sweet parts car from here!

Hey I got that engine smoothed out tonight, had a fouled plug (stupid champion plugs) so I robbed one out of my "spare flathead", wire brushed it and twisted it in the head. I adjusted the timing and the idle mixture and we're as good as we can get with crappy old wires, crappy plugs and a floppy rotor. Are these rotors floppy when new??

Crappy 15 second phone video.

http://youtu.be/teFx4OjcazM

19. 49 Custom

49 Custom

Congrats on your acquisition! I've converted my '49 to 12v negative and upgraded the ignition system, so if you have any questions about the electrical system, you are welcome to drop me a message. (Unless you are keeping the engine stock, get rid of that dizzy in a hurry!)

-Stefan

20. northerndave

northerndave
    from Badger MN

We're not hell bent on keeping the stock dist. For the time being it aint broke so it don't need fixin but I'm not impressed with it.

So you are neg ground 12v? Lotta work?

21. ahawes

ahawes

Great job for you guys! My dad tried talking me into a shoebox that was dirt cheap for my first car but I wasn't having it. Got a '68 VW van instead that he and I fixed up together, no accounting for taste I guess. I offed the van a long time ago but am going to have the memories with my dad for a long time to come, as will your son after doing this with you.

Good luck on the project!

22. 49 Custom

49 Custom

A bit of planning and about 2 days of work (I imagine it would be a lot faster if you've done it before). I did install electronic ignition and a spark box which really livened up the old girl. Most of the work is getting the parts together.

23. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

I like the looks on your sons little brothers face. wont be long 'till he's searching the fields, barns, and swap meets. Way to go Dad.

24. I've got shop manuals and parts manuals for all my old cars. The factory made them or every model. A collision, or body book is invaluable to see how parts are assembled. They show a drawing or photo of every nut, bolt and screw as well as where it goes.

You guys will ave a blast building the car together. Keep in mind he is a kid and safety first. A collapsable steering column and disc brakes may make some HAMBERS upset, but it's your kid.

25. northerndave

northerndave
    from Badger MN

I hear ya man, 3 point belts, disc up front..... is a cage and a 5 point harness overkill???

:)

26. slamdpup

slamdpup

i dont even know you guys and im proud of your son...you raised him right..pat yourself on the back

27. Not for my kid. Hell, I remember how I drove when the parents were around and how I drove when they were not. Not a matter of if....... When! Plus there is the Momma to deal with.

28. Mattilac

Mattilac

Man thats a rockin' project! Good luck and enjoy!