Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tires, maybe cheater slicks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by coolbreeze1340, Aug 12, 2011.

1. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

Yeah! We got a profit sharing check at work today and since it was not planned in my budget, that makes it MAD MONEY! (I spend it and the wife gets mad!!! LOL)
    I am thinking of ordering tires for my ride but need some help. Anyone run the Firestone Cheater slicks from Coker? I mean really run them. I'm talking 3 to 4 hr highway trips at 70mph. How do you like them and how do they handle the roadways? Not worried about all-season or nothing since I don't run a covered top or wndows anyways. :D

Let me know what you think. I like the look of the old piecrusts with white walls but do not want to limit the length of my trips.

2. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

The Firestone Cheaters looks like ass in my opinion. I would go Hurst or just regular bias ply tires before I went with those Firestones just based on looks.

I can't tell you whether they perform well enough but I can tell you that I ran 8" wide slicks on my t bucket for the entire duration that I owned the car. They were original 60's recapped slicks and they were awesome! They performed about as well as I could expect a 80 year old car to perform and I would get another set in a heartbeat.

When I go to order tires for my '32 I'll be ordering some slicks from Hurst for sure.

3. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

where do you order hurst slicks from and do they make a wide white?

4. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Boy do they ever. These Hurst Tires are the closest thing to the Old Inglewood's and such from yesteryear. They have a nice sharp sidewall and don't balloon out like the firestones do. They are just a better tire plain and simple but I can not attest to how the ride. But many of HAMB'ers can and love them. I just haven't gotten to a point to need them yet on my '32.

http://www.hurstracingtires.com/1093440.html

[​IMG]

5. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

The Coker Cheaters look like off-road tires. I bought a set and gave them away ($400). I use Radir Cheaters which I bought from their web-site. The Hurst Cheaters are recapped steel belted radials. If you look at the thread from the Mooneyes Xmas Show 2010, you will see a '38 Chevy doing a burnout when the Hurst Cheaters exploded. I suspect the steel belts got to hot as he was running a 3:08 gear.

6. Go with M/T, they are not recaps like most of the others, my.02 ;)

7. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Aha! That's good to know. Not all of their tires are capped radials now I don't think. I believe they provide some on bias ply now as well. The Radirs are supposed to be good as well!

8. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I like the Firestones. Ran the 10 inchers on my 23 and am running 8 inchers on my latest project.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As for roadworthiness, they were surprising good, both in wear and holding the pavement. Originally, when I put them on my 23 I figured they would tear up pretty quick so I was prepared to keep them on for shows and cruising, and to run regular treaded tires for long drives. Turned out they had almost as much tread depth after 3 years as they had when new, so I never used the other tires.

What also surprised me was how they were ok in the wet. I got caught in the rain A LOT, and as long as I didn't get crazy with my right foot they never lost traction. I ran 11 inch M and H slicks on my Mustang years ago, and you didn't want to see ANY water on the road with those. :eek:

They aren't cheap at over $ 600 a pair, but I like em.

Don

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  9. Don, nice write up on the tires, where did you buy those?

10. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Thanks...........Coker. And he even takes our Alliance membership. :D

Don

11. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

Yes, I like the radirs too! I have their spec sheet laying in front of me as I type! The best part is they will cut four "rain grooves" if you want and the 8's and above do not have the funky checked flag tread pattern. On an old post I see some scary stuff about getting caught in the rain with them but I do like the Firestone "dirt tracks" too. So many choices, so little funds!!! LOL

12. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Tonight while I was working on my car I think I figured out why the Firestones weren't all that bad in the rain. Not only do they have those two grooves to make you legal, but the edges have diagonal cuts that are actually like tread. I never noticed that before, but after looking at them it makes sense.

Don

13. I like the HURST tires. Had nothing but great luck with them. They (Cody) will also custom cut the grooves in them.:D Great quality and look great.

14. LSGUN

LSGUN
    from TX

Everything on the market looks terrible besides HURST. The wider Radirs without the flags being the exception.

15. I got my piecrust slicks from hurst too. Talk to Cody (hotrodrubber) here on the hamb, they will really work with you.

16. Ran Hurst's on my T. Cody and his dad Steve are great to work with. They are very knowledgeable on their tires and will get you the right thing. Would definently use them again.

Attached Files:

• CR1.jpg
      CR1.jpg
      File size:
      149.6 KB
      Views:
    • CR3.jpg
      CR3.jpg
      File size:
      156.4 KB
      Views:
  17. scarletfever

scarletfever
    from texas

I'm looking for something too...... COKER has NOT come through for me at all. they supposedly ship to Firestone, which is what i thought i had on order from SUMMIT..... now, after waiting two months on "backorder" they still can't get them and are telling me another 3 weeks!! i am ready to mount rear tires and need 10.00-16s. Any suggestions?

thank you

18. scarletfever

scarletfever
    from texas

just saw the Hurst suggestion.... weill try that!

thanks

19. scarletfever

scarletfever
    from texas

Just ordered my set from Cody and cancelled with Coker. I couldn't be happier!! he will ship the tires next week....

20. scarletfever

scarletfever
    from texas

21. wheelguy

wheelguy

HERE THEY ARE GUYS!!! I've got a pair of NEW , never used FIRESTONE 10:00 - 16 (SIXTEEN !!!!) CHEATER SLICKS...THESE ARE THE ONES SPEEDWAY GETS over $600.00 for plus shipping!!! I want $400.00 for the pair...Also have a pair of BF GOODRICH SPORT TRUCK 285-60-16 (SIXTEEN) with 200 miles on them, look new, $200.00 for the pair!!! PREFER NOT TO SHIP AS IT'S too expensive ...If interested, call Joe at (513)-248-2926

22. scarletfever

scarletfever
    from texas

just what i HAD on order for so long..... before i got more info and several negative comments towards the Stone's.... and i have to agree the "ballooning" out (12" profile when mounted on 8's) was making it harder to clear the wheelwell. the Hursts i ordered will look great. it's a two man shop, father and son business and they were excellent to work with. i will have them by next week.!

23. It is all personal preference, I don't have the right cars where the Firestones cheaters look right mounted on, they look like snow tires to me. I have had Radir 15 x10 pie crust, with '0' problems, and I have two sets of Hurst pie crusts '0' problems, I had a cosmetic issue with one whitewall, and Cody swapped it out in a hear beat.

24. strange crazy people out there in this world.......scary shit i tell you....