Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Got my 55 chevy Gasser on the road

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by yruhot, Sep 5, 2011.

1. yruhot

yruhot

Hi guys thought I share with you all that I finally (16 months so far) got my 55 chevy straight axle car on the road. took her to a little Sunday morning coffee cruise here in Vegas and got great response from most preople. It's still ruff but considering the totalled out mess I started with I feel pretty proud how she has turned out. Mostly about 95% used or donated parts. 468 big block turbo 400 and a nice 9:with 456.spool. torque thrusts. M/T 29x10.5x15 mt slicks. no interior.Still wiring up headlight and turn signals. has a 1950 chevy pu truck front axle with manual s-10 steering box. Disc front and drum brakes in rear. Taking a little breather before going after it again.Lots of fun. Funest part is looking at the WTF look on most peoples faces as they look at her.lol.

Attached Files:

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Cool! The WTF looks are a bonus!:D

3. very cool... I may be in the minority on this but I think the '55 HT gassers look better than the 2dr posts. Love the rear wheel wells on that.

What did it look like when you started?

Scott/Gotta56forme

4. THECRUSTYRAT

THECRUSTYRAT

Congrats, good looking ride.

5. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Lookin good,congrats!

6. skwurl

skwurl

7. uwonamos

uwonamos
    from Omaha, Ne

A BadMan paint job & some red windows:D? Looks good!!!

8. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

Congratulations on the build, yes the positive comments and looks from compete strangers help makes all they late nights in the shop worth wild. The wind in your hair and the satisfaction of knowing you built something that cool.

9. sledbuilder

sledbuilder

very nice! i know the look your talkin about.

10. wlspdshop

wlspdshop
    from Missouri

Looks great!! Very nice.

11. squirrel

squirrel

nice! After a few more years work, the wtf will turn into something different, and it ain't bad.

I was just up in Vegas recently with my 55, it's fricken hot there. You got the same radiator I do, so you should be ok, but you probably need a shroud

12. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

Well I'll Be damned!!! Dave said you were getting close! You did!

It hasn't been what like 2 or 3 weeks sence Dave and I came to look at it???

Looked familiar :D
    How is she running?

13. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Looks great. It is so rare to see a sport coupe with this stance. Love it!!

14. yruhot

yruhot

I got some really ugly photos from the accident site i'll try and attach. Before the wreck it was a nice little cruiser. Former owner did the Hot Rod Power tour a couple of times with his sons and then a drunk uninsured driver rear ended it on the way to a drivline shop with a new 409 in it. HE kept the 409 and gave me the HULK. Straightened out the roof with a backhoe.lol. Worked great in the right hands.lol. OK let me see if I can find the photos.ps I 've always had post cars,this is my first hardtop. Funnything people with post want hardtops and people with hardtops want posts it seems. OK let me see if i CAN find some before photos.yruhot ok I tried to post some before photos and I was told that could not be processed because a security token was missing, It took the other photos but not the follow up ones. Any ideas. Tried to notify the modorator and that didn't work too good either. I'm cyber doomed.lol.yruhot

15. yruhot

yruhot

Thanks Jonny, yea I've been working my ass off between a/c calls and cuttin and weldin and all that stuff. Wirin and firin, screwin and gluin.lol but should be fun this fall. I think Dave and I might go to the psca meetin Oct i think to see what kind of times she does. Hope we don't imbaras myself too much. Runs real strong This thing is a ton of fun.Doug

16. Loppy

Loppy

Niiiice! Keep it as is, or purdy it up some, it'll be badass either way. Enjoy the hell out of it!

17. yruhot

yruhot

Thanks for the kind words Squirel, I kinda like the WTF looks i like putting that look in folks faces in a good way. I like bringing back fun good meories for people. I figure if I can get it into one solid color of primer with a litttle black guide coat it'll be fine. it'll never be a 500 point show car. been hit too hard but it'll be a damn fun car. I was looking for a little bracket car for a bunch of old guys to make some smoke and noise with and this thing fell into my lap. I've always loved the gassers and it was just too espensive to tear one up for that purpose these days. But this one was already tore up for me so no guilt and I feel good I saved from the slammer. I took my measurements over to my radiator guy and he built me the largest radiator that would fit in that area andit was like 100 degrees Sunday and it never went over 190-195 putzin around. But a shroud would be nice. I did learn while setting the timing that you got to be awear of those fenderwell headers. Checked the timing lamp and ran for the dist wrench and leaned in to loosen the bolt and we almost had a weinie roast in my pants. Wooo- woooo. yruhot

18. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

Nice!
    Try and get those "Before" pictures up. its really a crazy transformation.

I'm happy for you, Go out and make some noise!
    You've officially LIT a fire under my ass to get mine rollin :eek:
    If we were in a build race, You'da Blown my doors right off!!

Cant wait to see it on the strip:D

19. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Nice Gasser!!
    Good for you.
    Now enjoy!
    Cheers.........

20. Ghost28

Ghost28

Very nice! And it has the perfect stance. Scares me just looking at it.:eek: in a good way.

21. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Excellant job on the car and the first spin with any build is always the best. Enjoy
    Speaking of WTF's, was cuzn Main St. In Venture after Ventura Nationals yesterday and some dude tells me nice 55' (I think to myself it's a 56' but just roll with it) then say's I use to have a 56' :eek:, man sometimes people just trip me out.

22. slammed

slammed

This is real '55. Tilt front ends make the motor access so nice. (I had a BBC '56 w/ tilt)

23. yruhot

yruhot

Johny my wife thinks I'm obsessed with this car.lol. She would turn something on onthe tv and I'd say I'm going out to the garage for a bit and next thing I know she wants to know if I'm comming to bed. I ask what time is it and she says like 11.30. I truly thought it was like 8;30 pm.lol. I didn't really get into cup cake wars anyway.lol. I did find that I would make my own honey do lists on the car and work them off and check off the list and I could see the progress. Seems stupid but it would keep me from getting over whelmed at times. And I always tied to at least one thing a day on the car even if it was just going over to Ma Fadden dales for some nuts and bolts it kept me motivated. Now that I've drivven the car I got a whole new honey do list.lol. It's like the ant eating the dead Elephant.........one bite at a time. Let me try these photos again, Maybe the internet gods have forgiven me. yruhot.doug nope still in photo purgatory. missing security link,huh?

24. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

25. novas4life

novas4life
    from vnc,wa

Great looking '55. Nice job!
    Brandon

26. Butch M

Butch M

wow it looks way cool I remember the first time I drove mine there is nothing like the looks you get when people see them straight axle cars. love it that is one bad A 55

27. Blacktop Graffiti

Blacktop Graffiti

28. Accident?

Well whatever you started with worked well for this result...

29. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wicked, it reminds me a lot of a 55 that one of the "older guys" in town had down at the Shell station when I was in high school. That one had about the same appearance as yours does now and ran a 401 Buick set back ten percent. I'm not sure he ever got it to where it could make a pass on a drag strip though but it did a lot of serious street racing in the mid 60's.

30. Gasoline Junkie

Gasoline Junkie

What kind of scoop is that? Looks perfect.