Register now to get rid of these ads!

radiator??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tarpley1, Sep 5, 2011.

1. tarpley1

tarpley1

i have searched till i have gone cross eyed!! and i haven't found anything to answer my specific question.

Q: how much HP/CID are you cooling with your 65-67 mustang Radiator??

i have 31 A pickup no hood, i will have a 9.8:1 C/R 350cid chevy, double hump heads, aluminum intake, mild hyd.flat tappet cam, 750 holley, headers, th350. MILD engine to my standards

your thoughts and FIRST HAND expieriences would be apprieciated.

2. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

MOST of the Mustang radiators ... look terrible in a early shell with NO HOOD ... IMHO. :(

The early Mustangs had a 289 cubic inch engine ( max ) and the most HP was 271 Hp. Some rodders say that they cool more inches and horsepower. :confused: And they MIGHT. :eek:

I always go step up and buy the correct radiator for the application.
    In 1988 I needed a radiator for my faithful, trusty 32 Ford DEUCE roadster. The old radiator was a older recore ... and was shot. I stepped up and bought the Z series Walker. At almot 5 hundred dollars ... that was a good bit of money ( 1988 ). But it is still in the car and has never given me any problems. So 6 years ago when I needed one for my 32 3W ... Walker got the call again.
    ( Z series with A/C = $$$ )

If I needed a radiator for any new build today ... I would buy a Walker.

I am helping a friend with his 32 Ford roadster ( Desoto HEMI for power ) and Walker got the call for his 32 also.

3. tarpley1

tarpley1

1. the reason im askin is im really limited on space the guy whos started my project Z'd the frame at the firewall(creates a lot of problems).
    the mustang rad. is the lagest that will fit with out my shell being stupid tall(above the cowl by alot).

2. i dont see how anybodys rad in a given space will do exceptionaly better than the other!?!?

if it comes to it i will, but i dont want to spend mega bucks on a rad for this truck

4. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

5. tarpley1

tarpley1

as far as it looking bad, this thing has ugly covered LOL. ive seen them in these shells, i agree they dont look the best but im ok with it.

Attached Files:

6. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

A stock brass/copper, probably not gonna be sufficiant even with a three row. I have a '64-66 'Stang radiator in my '36, (trying) to cool a 472 Cad. Dismally inadedquate, although it was MUCH better when I went to a 2 row aluminum one, and now is just fine with the addition of an auxilliary Dodge Neon radiator with it's own fans tucked up under the floor in the frame kick over the rear end.

Brian

7. skwurl

skwurl

8. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

I have a brass 3 row 66 mustang and it cooled my 390 caddy just fine. I think the motor is around 10:1.

9. widow maker

widow maker
    from nj

Had a helluva time finding what I needed also. Try this...e'bay, type in search.....32 ford alummlnum radiator-chopped-chevy engw/cooler
    Make RAND, just bought one but I haven't used it yet, got it, looks great. hope it works as well.

ken

10. skwurl

skwurl

11. widow maker

widow maker
    from nj

12. skwurl

skwurl

yea thats a smokin deal

13. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

FWIW Warm 400 SBC 3 row Mustang radiator 15-16" mechanical fan cooled just fine in Phoenix AZ summer.

14. Ebert

Ebert

If it were me, I would call C & R...yes, they make anything and everything and will build you just what you need. Alot of people get scared off because they build racing stuff (NASCAR, etc), but they are no higher than others in my experience. If you need something to fit something unique, I would at least contact them and give it a try! They have built a couple of things for me (I am nervous nelly when it comes to running hot!!!), had a small block with one car with doublehump heads and not only did my stuff run cool, it was bitchin when it comes to the workmanship. And no...I dont work there!!! Ha!

15. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

A general rule of thumb that I learned from Novak Adapters years ago messing with OT Jeeps is that you need a minimum of 50 sq. inches... MORE... area of radiator than cubic inches of displacement on a stock engine for proper cooling. I would then figure in the cam, converter etc. Novak is very up to speed on cooling stats., they have Hot Rod Jeeps too ya know.

16. dv8

dv8

I've got Mustang radiators cooling a 331 Hemi, a 259 Stude, and a built Merc flathead, all behind 30's grillshells. We put one in MBL's roadster with a flathead as well. Never had any overheating problems.

17. lakester47

lakester47

Brian,

How did you plumb the Neon radiator in? Did you use the heater hoses or did you run larger diameter? Is it series or parallel with the main radiator? Thanks!

Jim

18. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

The track roadster by friend built many years ago has a Mustang 3 row radiator tucked in the nose and the with a built in hood that shrouds the engine front to back and down to the exhaust ports. An electric fan mounted in the nose as a pusher was just fine but we moved it to the rear of the core last time it was rebuilt and stays cool all the time in traffic and on the road. The engine is a pretty much stock 350 SBC with Edelbrock 4bbl and manifold hooked up to a PowerGlide and on to a 57 Olds rearend.
    Since this radiator is so affordable and used so universally it has always surprised me that no one has ever made a glass T, A, or 32 Ford or any other make radiator shell modified to conceal the upper tank side straps, etc.

19. fleetside66

fleetside66

For what it's worth, I have a new three row job ($125 new) cooling my stock 283 (well, 4 bbl./headers) with no electric fan & the temp rarely gets over 180.

20. fleetside66

fleetside66

I did build an appropriate shroud for it, however.

[​IMG]

21. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

My early Mustang 3 row does fine cooling a 10 to 1,.060 over 327 with mild cam and iron manifolds. Six blade Hayden flex fan and 3/4 shroud.

22. Ask how much Horsepower guys are cooling with a Mustang Radiator and you get a bunch of responses about it being ugly, use something else and just about nothing about how much Power it will keep cool.
    I'll see if I can help. I use a standard size Mustang radiator in my Falcon that makes right at 400 HP at the crank. The Falcon engine compartment holds more heat then your car will.
    I had one in my Model A Tudor with a solid roller, 11.5 to 1 289 that made about 385.
    I also built a 65 Mustang, you know where these radiators came from, with a 427 stoker small Ford that made over 500. The stock radiator couldn't keep up, but a Griffin stock size replacement aluminum on did.
    Hope this helps.

23. tarpley1

tarpley1

thanks, you understood my question, the numbers and combos you mention put my mind to ease.

also thanks to you guys for the links to the smokin e-bay deals on really nice radiators. i think i have made up my mind.

sence the stocker works in forementioned setups this should be more than enough to do what i need:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/32-Fo...item588e77ce06(thanks for the link)

24. Very interested in hearing from anyone who went with the RAND.
    The price difference seems too good to be true, is it?

Last edited: Sep 6, 2011