Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bonneville styled 1932 tudor build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Salt Flats Speed Shop, Oct 17, 2009.

1. Great job on this one!
    I was looking back at the pictures of the body in the back of your PU, lots of work done here!
    THANKS for sharing all the pictures and info.
    NOW IT'S TIME TO HAVE FUN!!!!

2. Nice job Chris!!!! You nailed it!

3. Salt Flats Speed Shop

Salt Flats Speed Shop
    from Utah

I had my buddy Matt Wood do my shop name and Bonneville number on the door. He did a fantastic job as always. Just finished it up last night.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. lorodz

lorodz

5. MR. FORD

MR. FORD
    from Austin, TX

Fantastic job....that thing rules.

6. paco

paco
    from Atlanta

What a time piece ... nice job.

PACO

7. brady1929

brady1929

8. aojo

aojo

how far back did you cut your horns and what are you going to do for finishing the cut ends? In the photo, it looks as if you cut them just in front of the cross member? which would leave a bit overhang over the axle???

9. aojo

aojo

disregard the above question... I went through the posts and in frame 42 it shows the finished ends... I'll put the cork in the wine now.... very nice work...

10. AntiBling

AntiBling

You had me up till the phaux-tina

11. psyclesinc

psyclesinc

12. sololobo

sololobo

To cool for school!! ManI love it . Hiboy32 wants to redo his rod, please no!! It is perfect now, you guys be the judge. Rock on with the bad ass sedan bro.

Attached Files:

13. guy1unico

guy1unico

Sold couple of years ago to a fellow in Fl. that runs Bonneville. This deuce has a 49 Canadian truck flathead motor. Heads come relieved from the Ford factory.

Attached Files:

14. ZRODZ

ZRODZ

I agree. All that beautiful work on the Washington Blue and then obliterate it with orange? To me the signage, though well done, just doesn't work from a graphic point of view - wrong fonts, wrong location and hard to read because of the color combinations. Oh well.

15. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

One thing for sure there won't be any mistaking who's coming at you on the road!

16. willysguy

willysguy
    from Canada

Why beat up a guy over paint finish and lettering fonts? He build a hell of a Hot Rod the way HE wanted to. Took his time to fully document it here for all to read & learn from.
    Way to go Chris, you built yourself an outstanding car. Nice job!

17. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

He took a shitbox body which many would pass up and turned it into his vision of a fine hotrod. More power to him. Remember the old Sinatra song with the lirics (I did it my way)? That's what this hobby is all about!

18. slick39

slick39
    from dallas ,ga

19. Salt Flats Speed Shop

Salt Flats Speed Shop
    from Utah

This project has been such a blast for me. This is the first rod i've started building for myself that wasnt trying to be like something someone else just built that I liked. I feel like this car is what I want without trying to be something that appeals to every person out there. I know some of you guys would have done things differently, but at the end of the day the only person that i'm trying to please is myself. :)

This build started as an idea. I wondered if a shop in 1950, that heard from SCTA that the next year they would allow coupes and sedans to race out at Bonneville, decided to build a killer sedan to race. What if they found a super nice original sedan to start with. All they did was remove the fenders, gut the interior, remove the fabric roof and got chopping. Just sanded away the paint enough to chop and then re-sprayed the bare metal, built a louvered roof, and louvered the hood. What would that car have looked like?

That's what was so cool about back then, they had nice original cars to use. They didn't have to sandblast, fix every section of the sheet metal, and then re-paint. Like i had to do to this car. ha

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My buddy here has a 34' coupe that i invision this sedan would have looked like when they started. Original paint bunrned into the primer around the roof, cowl, and hood. But because of having fenders the side of the car is really nice. Such a cool car!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks again everyone for all your comments. I enjoy sharing my work with you guys, and definitely look for lots more builds from "Salt Flats Speed Shop" in the future!

brEad likes this.
  20. Pete

Pete

SEXY!!!!

I would leave my wife for the car!!!!! Don't tell her though.....SHHHHH

21. Dirtbos

Dirtbos
    from Acton, CA

Damn, you do nice work.

22. Hemi Bucket

Hemi Bucket

Read your build thread over a couple of evenings & told a few mates about it. You've absolutely nailed the look, love it. Thanks for taking the time to take photos as you went along.

That signwriter must be really good, he hasn't got his tongue out in any of the photos!

23. hechtspeed

hechtspeed

Turned out very cool. Really hope to see it out at the flats next year! Can't wait to see the flattie get its turn too.

24. JCW2110

JCW2110

Very cool build! If I didn't have other projects, I think I would start a Tudor build.

25. JCW2110

JCW2110

Looked through the build thread again...Amazing work!

26. Salt Flats Speed Shop

Salt Flats Speed Shop
    from Utah

Pushed the car outside to get some shots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. hechtspeed

hechtspeed

Any significance with the number #77? Is the B for a class of engine size back in the day? I'm liking the SFSS signage on the roof a lot the more I see it and picture it in black and white from back in the 50's. ;) Now sell that Bultaco so you can fund the killer flathead build.

28. It looks killer.

29. Salt Flats Speed Shop

Salt Flats Speed Shop
    from Utah

The number 77 was painted on the first 30's car i ever owned. It was a 36' 5 window stock car that raced in southern utah back in the day. So Its got some sentimental value.

[​IMG]

As for the letter. The sedan classes had only two sections A and B.

This is taken from the "How to build hot rods".

[​IMG]

Next thing on the list is to get the motor looked at and see if anything needs to be done. Then I need to remove the body and get back on finishing up the chassis.