Register now to get rid of these ads!

Y-Block

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 500LBGorilla, Apr 20, 2007.

1. k-member

k-member

A Falcon sprint T-10 4 speed. If that's what you mean.

2. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

Are you guys bored, or just trying to up your post count by making useless replies and wasting bandwidth?

Rock asked who the Y-Block guys were, simple.

3. With all respect, I, and am sure others. would like to hear a question so we all can learn somthin'...

4. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Ok well, I along with half the other posters on here, are ready and willing to help if we can. Unless all he wanted to know was who the guys are, in that case were done here.

5. petebert

petebert

I do get a cookie for each "rank" I make right? but what type of cookie or does it vary by rank?

6. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Uh oh.....

Es la Policía!!!

7. Trucker Jr.

Trucker Jr.
    from Fresno

I was think of getting a y block, but my question is which is better the Ford or [SIZE=-1]Lincoln? [/SIZE]

8. It depends on a number of things, and your patience/ingenuity/bank account. :D Some things to consider:

The Ford/Mercury Y block has, finally, a fair amount of support from the aftermarket, including cams, pistons, intakes, & so forth....along with what is left from the later '50s & '60s. There were also various performance options from Ford, and those intakes are still fairly common. The Lincoln had very little speed equipment made for it, and the only performance offering, the Turnpike Cruiser, is rare; its parts are sky-high.

The Ford/Merc has several different options for transmissions, including the original Ford-O-Matics, the FMX, or, with adapters, the C4, AOD (or other Ford autos for that matter). The Toploader & T-5 can be used as well. The Lincoln, not so much (although there are a couple of adapters for automatics)...but you can use certain Saginaw 3 or 4 speeds fairly easily.

The max CI of a Ford/Mercury Y is about 350, with effort. A lot of effort. More realistically, about 331, without absolutely breaking your wallet....but a 301 is easy to build & much cheaper. The Lincoln can be made to be 425 or more, again with some $$$ involved. It is difficult to come up with intake ports & intake manifolds that will flow enough to do it justice.

The Ford/Merc Ys are still reasonably common & fairly cheap. The Lincoln engines are less common....but the TRUCK version of the Lincoln isn't too hard to find. (There are some issues involved with using the later truck engines.) Lincoln/heavy truck Ys are generally very cheap.

If I had to pick one for a low budget (if there is such a thing with first-gen OHV V8s!) I'd use a 292, or a 272 bored to 292, C heads, the later Ford Holley-pattern intake with a E-brock 500 or Holley 450/Autolite 4100, a moderate cam, reworked '57-up distributor converted to electronic ignition, & headers. Fairly cheap, enough power to work with, & reasonable mileage.

9. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

hahaha.

nah, I know RumblerRock...looks like he hasn't been back online to ask his questions to the 'gurus', maybe he'll chime back in.

But, while we're here and since I've got a Y-Block I'm going to toss into my APU, I've got a few questions myself...

First, why don't the Lincoln Y valve covers fit the Ford/Merc Y?

Second, anyone ever use the Crane Cams Electronic Ignition Conversion? What's your take on it?

Third, was there ever a cast-iron 3x2 intake from the factory for a Y?

And finally...What would you recommend for the best "bang for the buck" on a stock '58 truck block as far as camshaft, lifters, valvesprings, rockers, etc?

I'm planning to run a 3x2 topped with 94's, build some headers, and toss a cam and related valvetrain parts into the motor for now. I don't want to get into the heads or shortblock right now since the motor is cherry. If and when it needs a rebuild in the future I'll toss together a more potent setup, but I think something mild for now in my Model A would work great.

10. Texas,

1) The Lincoln is somewhat larger in almost every dimension than the Ford/Mercury Y....or, as some put it, the Ford/Merc is scaled down. It came out two years after the Lincoln/heavy truck Y so there may be some merit to that viewpoint. At any rate the only two major parts that fit between the two are the distributor & oil pump. And the carb, I suppose, if we're being anal. :)

2) Yes. I like it & prefer it over the two different Pertronix. More reliable/less sensitive...JMHO.

3) No. There are four basic four-barrel intake versions...two (at least) two-barrel intakes...and three (I believe, anyway) aluminum 2x4 intakes, for the Ford/Mercury Y. No factory 3x2s. The best 3x2 is the Edelbrock 573, for a variety of reasons...but the Fentons, Offys, & Weiand will all work.

4) Cams are a tough call over the Internet...to be truthful, a lot of guys seem to want "the sound" & could really care less how well it runs. Not my thing, but....anyway, I'm assuming that since it's a '58, it's a 292, or 292 + .030. For a nice, relatively mild cam that will actually make some torque, & work with an automatic or manual, I'd look at Mummert's Y-265S, or the Isky 301444. Mummert's Y-270S will be a little more of a lope, a little higher powerband. Go much beyond this & you'll have to trim the guides and verify the p-v clearance. Always should, really...but with much lift/duration over these & you will probably need to cut the piston reliefs deeper. Also, it's easier to sort out 3x2 setups with a more moderate cam, my view.

So far as "bang for the buck", Isky stuff seems to be more expensive as a rule, though I think Summit can get that cam for about $150. Mummert's cams are around $175 new. John himself might recommend something slightly different, or a custom, which will be a little more. I would ONLY use Mummert's lifters that he sells, or Isky lifters....some of the Y replacement lifters for sale right now have fatal metallurgy issues & won't make the hardness standard.

Add the new 1.54 rockers that are out now, a decent timing set, & you're in business....and as mentioned earlier, use a '57-newer distributor. '54-'56 distributors should be recycled into pooper-scoopers or Toyotas, no exceptions. Them's my thoughts, others encouraged.

11. petebert

petebert

12. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

Homespun, thanks for the info, very informative. I've been looking at Mummert's stuff and have been planning on going with his Y270-S camshaft, lifters, 95# valve springs, pushrods, roller timing set, oil pump drive, and some ARP hardware. Just wanted to make sure everything sounds good to someone who's played with these motors already.

The rocker assembly might have to wait until a little further down the road though because another $350 on top of the $850 I'll be blowing on this little bastard is too much to spend at one time.

13. Rocket

Rocket
    from Austin Tx

thanks for the info, i need to look closer at that spare 3X2 i've got but haven't seen any #'s on it. looks like a weiand.

14. rjparrish49

rjparrish49
    from fla

i have a 1955 ford with a 272 y block with single exhaust can anyone tell me if a exhaust manifold ecu-931-a would work on the drivers side.as it came off of a Lincoln with a 368 ci is that a y block

15. Lincoln Y-block exhaust manifolds will not fit a Ford Y. The 368 is a Y-block.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
  16. famdoc3

famdoc3

Yes the 368 is a Y block but not the y-block being mostly talked about here. The y-block her is the common one from Ford also used in some Mercs and is the 272/292/312 series of engines. Many parts from any of these engines will interchange but not to the bigger series 332/368/430(?) truck and Merc/lincoln passenger cars.

17. Check with Ted Eaton of Eaton Balancing.. he has built a number of big time high HP Y blocks.

The 430 is a Y block in technicality, but it is an M-E-L series engine....383, 410, 430, 462.. different animal. Y block refers to the architecture of the engine block, but the series quoted above are the engines that coined the nick of Y blocks

18. nosdan

nosdan

I have a 55 272 small port stock engine.

Looking to purchase a trips setup. What is the part # for the 57+ distributors and electronic setup components? What would be a good cam for performance increases that'll work will with the trips setup?

Thanks!

19. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Hi :) For cam info try sending a PM to mctim64 (Tim McMaster) he built my engine and is a wealth of knowledge. He will be able to tell you which cam will work with your 272.
    You can tell Tim that you are possibly buying the tri power setup that Larry up in Alberta is selling. :)
    He has personal experience running the tri-powers in a few applications.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/members/mctim64.68991/

This is a very old thread :)

Not sure on the distributor, however if you get in touch with Jim Linder (GMC BUBBA)
    he should be able to answer some of your ignition questions, possibly even build a distributor for you to the specs you need.
    He did so for me.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/members/gmc-bubba.15923/
    Larry.

20. No such thing as a '54 292. The '54 engines were 239 ci for Ford and 256 for Mercury.

21. morac41

morac41

Hi Homespun.. I have seen a Y block out to near 400 ci It was featured in Hotrod mag about 45 -50 years ago.. have the magazine some where??....They used a Studebaker crank and had to fly cut the block to clear the rod bolts...

22. I am not sure if your question is serious but assuming it is here is the answer. The block extends well below the centerline of the main bearings giving the block a Y shape hence the name to that series of engines.

Charlie Stephens

23. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Hello, is anyone home ;) ??

Do you guys even pay attention to how old this thread is o_O Do you even realize that you are trying to respond to something posted back in 2007 :confused: :rolleyes: :D