Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Eastwood & Barakat

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rick Barakat, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Thanks, the top looks good. In your next video see if you can get a nice profile of the side showing the chop I am anxious to see the tapered chop. Also how did you cut the front post to not have to stretch the top? Keep the photos coming. I love them.
    Lynn

2. 5_guy

5_guy
    from Upland, CA

Well after a real crappy day yesterday dealing with Orthopedic Doctors and getting more bad news, then going to pick up my dipped parts that they couldnt release due to the facility being inspected (wasted drive) I got home and then the T-SHIRT GODS SMILED DOWN ON ME, Yep I opened my mail and my 2 shirts were there!! Thanks Rick in fact the wife wore hers as a nite shirt :)

3. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Chris- I'm glad the shirts arrived and brightened a disappointing day. I'm not a philosopher but sometimes it the little joys that get us through the crap.
    Lynn- If you look close, you can see a lot of different places where little cuts were made and opened up to move the pieces around to line up all the reveals. These are not mistakes or misalignments but planned openings to be filled in after the alignment is done. I will try to shoot some photos and show the locations if you or anyone else is interested in that.

4. Nort

Nort
    from Anaheim

Hi Rick,

The shirts arrived this morning, (that was quick!)

Had a chance to watch both videos, (Excellent!)

Again, thanks to you and Pete for allowing the rest of us to "ride along"
    as you guys proceed.

All The Best

Nort

5. grandet23

grandet23

Can you post a video asking Pete some questions. Us newbies need to know why he chose to section the doors, top, and rear window at a particular spot. Will he cut and reinstall the wood?

This is an amazing opportunity from us to see a legend at work.
    Thanks

6. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Grandet23-
    As talented as Pete is he doesn't like to "Show off" and is really quite modest. In all the years I have been around him, I have never heard him brag, boast or self promote. That is probably why he is so well liked. Very similar in that way to Jake and Eric Vaughn. That being said, I'll see what I can do. At the very least, I can show photos and explain why he did what he did.
    Thanks for your interest.
    Rick

7. MadJack68

MadJack68

Here's a quick 'toon I drew a few minutes ago. I'm getting stoked!
    [​IMG]

8. 5_guy

5_guy
    from Upland, CA

Thanks Rick, and yes it's the little joy's in life that make the big mountains of crap seem like lil moundsl. Another full day at San Dimas Hospital but all is good, the wife says she feel's good and is looking forward to wear her "Eastwood & Barakat Nite Shirt"!
    By the way I did get to pick up my P/U bed and I tell all of you "Strip Clean" is the place!

9. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Chris- I'm glad you were able to get your bed today and i agree Clean strip does fabulous work.
    MadJack68- That is one awesome drawing!!!!!
    That looks like it would make a nice shirt. What do you think?

10. What size are the wheels and tires on the sedan? HRP

11. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

16" x 10" and 15" x 4"

12. I've always heard about Pete being modest. He certainly doesn't self-promote, although he certainly could. I do know Jim Jacobs and Eric Vaughn, and you are right about them as well. There are a lot of guys in their hot rod circle that are very similar, such as Bill Vinther and Cal Tanaka. They could care less about being famous, they are very talented craftsman who just want to build cars.

I enjoyed the YouTube videos. It shows how meticulous Pete is. Some guys would have just set that window opening in place and filled all the gaps with a Mig. Not Pete. He'll work that area with a hand file for hours to make it right. Your bodyman will certainly appreciate that!

13. tradrod

tradrod

I hate this thread :D.......After you guys are done, the price of Deuce sedans will skyrocket and I'll never find one:eek:.

Seriously, this is one of the baddest hot rods ever built, my all time favorite.

14. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

Me & my buddy Steve Metz stopped by Petes about a month ago in our hot rods to visit. This was right after Pete scored the Halibrands.
    Pete was mowing the lawn. We visited but didn't stay long.
    You won't meet a nicer guy.

A file & tin snips. As it should be!
    Looks like we need to stop by again. :)

15. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Thanks for the comments about Pete. I was concerned that people would think that he thought he was to good to be bothered about an interview. I've got to tell you, since I took the video with my iphone, I think Pete thinks I'm only posting pictures and he wasn't thrilled about that. Again, very modest.

16. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Flat-n-low-
    I am the body man. Fortunately, when Pete finishes the welding, grinding and filing, the body man's job is done. You can't beat red oxide for that flawless look. HAHA
    Rick

17. MadJack68

MadJack68

So on the original car, did you guys just find a body, shoot primer on it, and go racin' or did you guys chop that body yourselves as well ? I remember Hot Rod pointing out the rust on the body back then. Did you guys do more work as far as spiffing up the car after the Hot Rod feature?

18. badshifter

badshifter

Pete reminds me of....me. Super talented, and very humble...

19. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

We chopped the original body and left it in primer. That was the finished look we wanted.
    We had both just sold finished cars. Mine a chopped 34 5 window and Pete's a 32 highboy.
    The chassis was fully detailed, painted and rubbed along with the gas tank and firewall.
    That was our way of protesting all the high dollar professionally built cars that couldn't get out of their own way.
    Remember Pete and I were only in our 20's then and on a pretty small budget. Except for the exhaust, transmission, setting up the gears and louvers, we did everything else ourselves.

20. MadJack68

MadJack68

Your shirt...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
  21. 5_guy

5_guy
    from Upland, CA

Looks good!

22. billylo

billylo

I want one....

23. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Chris-
    Nice avatar!
    MadJack68-
    Nice job on the 'toon!!! I marvel at people who can draw. A stick figure with a round head is the best I can do. I have always tried to draw my cars and they always look like a prototype that was too ugly to build.

24. 5_guy

5_guy
    from Upland, CA

Thanks Rick all of our T-shirts were done with that.

25. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Can I buy one? It would be great to wear on Thanksgiving on our off road excursion in Parker (Actually California side of the Parker Strip, near Earp).

26. 5_guy

5_guy
    from Upland, CA

Where you at in Parker, we also have a place at River Reflections. Yes I will have some made up and send your way.

27. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

You've got to be kidding! I'm here now at Rio Del Colorado relaxing. The water is pretty quiet for a Labor Day weekend.

28. 5_guy

5_guy
    from Upland, CA

Oh lucky you! ENJOY!!

29. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

I just found this picture. This is a typical slice Pete did to line up the reveals so you don't end up with misalignments.
    See how the slice looks narrower at the top because he sucked the door in to line everything up. The cut originally was the same distance apart. Are these the types of pictures that are helpful to see. If they are I can take photos of all the areas Pete did this. There are probably 20 slices from different areas.

Attached Files:

30. The37Kid

The37Kid

YES! Any minor details and tips like that are great to see, so is the gas welding, old school professional workmanship. Are you guys comeing out to Hershey next month?