Register now to get rid of these ads!

460 swap into my 58 fairlane.. need help fellas!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by luvzccr, Mar 15, 2011.

1. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

You'll be getting speeding tickets before you know it. :D Lol just kidding, I'm glad its coming to life. Good for you and your dad. Post a video of the "beast" running down the street!

2. luvzccr

luvzccr

its been a long time since i updated this. ill admit... im still doing my wiring :( my dad cant help out and im workin 5 days a week 8 hour shifts, so its hard to find time to work on it. ive been googling everything about wiring and so far i got my headlights and parking lights all rigged up, im ATTEMPTING to do the turn signals now but i keep blowing a fuse!? i dont understand my column wires, so im considering buying an aftermarket turn signal switch that will go onto my column.

then i'll work on my brake and rear turn lights after that.

also, i took my ORIGINAL radiator to a shop and asked if they could switch water inlets. the guy laughed in my face and said 'kid your joking right, this thing is a piece of crap, cant cool your 460, it'll cost you about 600 bucks if you want me to make this work for your application.' i just left and now im trying to find a semi cheap but works for my application radiator. i found one on summit, a hot rod radiator, i'll have to do some cutting to make it fit, then find an electrical fan to go with this, i heard the taurus fan works?

i have my disc brakes on, but i still gotta buy the brake lines and make them fit, and get brand new rear brakes while im at it.....

time and money are the only two things i need, but dont seem to have at the moment. and knowledge in wiring too..

3. luvzccr

luvzccr

[​IMG]

most recent picture of my beast

**and yes i know on my driver side the high beam and low beam were switched around, so i changed those around after i took this picture, nowwww its correct

4. TKEBH964

TKEBH964
    from MO

5. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

Somebody put a 460 in my 1960 F100 and when I needed to replace the radiator, I learned that it is about a 72-74 F150.
    you can find new ones from several sources at about $150
    I used the usual Delco one wire alternator on the existing 460 brackets

6. luvzccr

luvzccr

wow that radiator looks dead on what i need. and its super cheap :eek: is there a catch!? wow.... i think i might just have to order that asap, i looked at the ones on jegs and summit and man they're twice that price!

as for my turn signals, as i was at work mindlessly walking back and forth (im now a service attendent at the gas station 8 hours a day), i couldnt help but think of what i was doing wrong and i'll go over to my grandmas tomorrow to work on it and hopefully *cross my fingers* get it figured out. if so ill feel so accomplished

7. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Thats how you learn; stick with it, think it over, recheck and don't give up. When you nail the problem I guarantee you'll have a big ol' grin on your face.
    I'm in the process of wiring my 51 F1 with a Rebel 9 + 3 kit and really like it. How did you mount your fuse panel?

8. luvzccr

luvzccr

well i looked everywhere for that pvc board, i saw it in a truck magazine, they mounted the fuse panel to pvc board and mounted that to the dash. but i ended up getting some sheet metal screws and found a perfect spot right under the dash on the drivers side, right above the kick panel. fits perfect.

i really really love the wiring kit, its real easy to read, ONLY THING i really really dont know is the alternator exciter wire, i dont know how to wire that or where it goes ?? as far as the turn signal stuff goes, i might rig in my OLD wiring somehow, like the old flasher and stuff... just trial and error. hope i dont blow any more fuses, those arent cheap

9. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

If you are using a one wire alternator just crimp a butt splice on the end and heat shrink it if you already ran the harness. The exciter wire powers up your voltage regulator but one wire alternators are internally wired.
    As for your fuse panel, no interference with the emergency brake pedal?

10. luvzccr

luvzccr

the alternator on the 460 had 3 wires i think, in fact im pretty sure it did because i remember when putting it on the engine i disconnected 3 things from the back of it. (and when i say things, it means i cant think of the correct term for it),

nope, no interference with the emergancy brake. i have the dash all mocked up and everything to make sure nothing would be in the way.

11. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

If memory serves, (uh oh) one of the connections said "fld". That is where you land the alternator exciter wire. The big connection goes to the battery positive and the other connection should say "gnd". That is the ground wire. Take a real good look at all three connections. If all else fails you could find the connections for your alternator online.

12. luvzccr

luvzccr

this is slightly off topic from what we're talkin about, but im trying to find a proportioning valve, (spelling?), online because stores dont carry it they said. would ANY disc/ drum valve work? or do i need a certain one? i wanna try getting my brake lines/ brakes done period pretty soon. i just ordered the radiator, so hopefully by the end of the week it gets here

13. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

Get one for a Ford disc/drum 70's would work at the junk yard'

14. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Summit also has them. Like Shoprat said, you would need a disc/drum valve.

15. luvzccr

luvzccr

i ended up ordering an aftermarket turn signal switch from speedway. hopefully at the end of the week i'll have 90 percent of my wiring all done. i noticed in the instructions though, that there was no ballast resistor wire, but on my old wiring on my '58, it was wired up... what wires go to my ballast resistor???

16. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

The orig turn sig sw rarely wears out. Proly wasting your money. If you have
    the 460 electronic dist you won't need the resister.

17. luvzccr

luvzccr

i dont have the electronic distributor i think, i have the one with the points and stuff, and i know i prolly am wasting my money but i'd rather get a newer one anyway, just to satisfy me i guess :]

18. burnin53

burnin53
    from cuba,n.y.

Your alternator requires an external voltage regulator,if you don't already know. Did you happen do save the one off your donor vehicle?
    If not they're pretty cheap at a parts store.

19. lukey

lukey

Holy crap, yout moving right along on that car! Hope you get the wiring figured out soon, im hoping to rewire my 58 this fall. How hard is it to remove the dash? Wanna pull mine for paint soon

20. luvzccr

luvzccr

actually i did save it! i got the entire wire setup and voltage regulator connected to the alternator, but what my dad suggested i do is, take it out of the little casing that it was in, (the 1978 ford f250 casing), and just put it into my original voltage regulator casing on my '58 ford fenderwell. snapped right in. so its all there, all the wires there but i have no idea where they go. i'll have to take some pretty good photos for you guys next time i head over there.

and lukey the dash is the easiest thing to take out, no joke. just the screws around the entire dash right under the windshield, then there are a few bolts on each side right next to the doors. also you gotta unbolt the parking break from the dash, and the steering column as well. on a scale of 1-10, its hardly a 2 i'd say. 15 minutes and its done

21. lukey

lukey

I know this is a bit o/t but what are your plans with her? Color, wheels, etc? Im really enjoying this one. The dash looks great btw

22. luvzccr

luvzccr

well this is the plan: get the new wiring all done, get the disc brakes all done, new brakes for the rear, new tires (for now, all black tires, i'll get wide whites down the road), pretty much make it SAFE to drive, with modern technology, all that stuff.

once i get all the new stuff to make it nice and safe to drive again, i'll worry about cosmetic stuff next, like getting the interior all nice and pretty, new floor pans, headliner, carpet, reupholster the seats, do something with my trunk maybe.

for the time being, i really really want to try out a primer white, with glass black steel rims with chrome spider caps and chrome rings. my '58 is gonna be slammed to the ground and i think it'll give it a pretty cool look. this is just while i drive it and save up for other things... save up for some more sheet metal for the body, rocker panels, quarter panels, etc. i wanna de-rust some of the bad body parts.

im also going to be putting the trim back on since i got some new clips from a friendly hamber! so i think the primer white with the gold side trim and black wheels will make it nice for the time being, plus with all the added newer safer driveline add-ons.

long term goal; i want a metallic green paint job i think, wide whites, white and tan interior with some black accents i think. its all up in my noggin. as long as im happy with it thats all that matters to me.

oh, and how can i forget, the idea a hamber gave me. i want to get a photo of me and my grandpa, put it in my car somewhere, somehow, and that way whenever i drive everywhere, he's with me. <- ultimate goal of this project.

23. luvzccr

luvzccr

well i got my aftermarket turn signal from summit... wired it just like the diagram and still didnt work, im pretty bummed. dunno what im doing wrong for such a simple application.

so while that bummed me out, i decided to cheer myself up by putting in my new radiator i just got, and while im at it, just repaint the front end. bought the brake hoses for my disc brake swap today out of a 79 Eldorado. gotta get a proportional valve and then some brake lines, and hopefully get that mess put together soon too. i decided while i was at it, i'll just put the front end together a little bit while i had some time to kill. (just started college yesterday and i work 5 days a week, today was my only day off from both until labor day)

here are a few pics for you guys, nothing major, but i love looking at it, it looks so much cleaner than when i re-started this build back in march.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. luvzccr

luvzccr

i have a slim margin of error between the radiator and the front of my engine right now. ive been looking on the hamb for the past few nights at ford taurus mechanical fans... i think i saw one with a dual fan that looked slim. i'd say i have 4 inches of room, anyone know of any really powerful mechanical fans that are less than 4 inches thick?

25. luvzccr

luvzccr

alright quick update this morning, with a video too. i was able to cut the radiator support enough to push my new aluminum radiator back a few inches. im gonna run the original clutch fan, and try finding a shroud. ill see if it'll work, if not, i'll move to electric down the road.

also i was finally able to bring my dad over to my grandmas for him to help me. he hasnt been to well latley, he's going down south to Los Angeles sometime next week because he got diagnosed with some form of cancer and they wanna do some sort of surgery, so he's going to a consultation. he brought his battery charger and its a useful one because it showed my battery was only 10 percent charged. charged it up and turns out i actually wired my blinkers up correctly and everything. so glad i got that figured out.

its my day off from school and work today, im considering going over there and finishing up the wiring.. particularly the alternator. the rebel wiring kit had an alternator exciter wire, and i have a 3 prong, (correct term?? not sure)) alternator. im trying to google some wiring diagrams but im not understanding them. anyone wanna help out with that maybe?

anyway here is a quick little tease video, just a short walk around thats all

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/XFg1L-gCU1A" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="345" width="560"></iframe>

26. luvzccr

luvzccr

question guys:

gonna start ordering some minor parts i need, like kickdown cable and column shift linkage from lokar, but i also need a proportional valve for my disc drum setup, but i need the brake switch incorporated too.

found this:

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Adjustable-Proportioning-Blocks-With-Brake-Light-Switch,6160.html

would this work with my setup?? i read some q and a's and it seems like it would, it just doesnt look like any of the valves ive seen on some of these swaps before. i just need that brake switch on there.

27. Custom300Madman

Custom300Madman
    from Houston

Looks great! So how much for the disc would you say you have in so far?

28. T.L.

T.L.
    from Colorado

I'm impressed with the progress you've made...

29. hot74roadrunner

hot74roadrunner
    BANNED

used 1966 mustang water pump pulley for alt and the 1/2 fan spacer and fan and also belt is the same it was in my 55 ford but it should be the same also used 1970 lincoln 460 motor mounts they fit perfect and 1970 429 super cobrajet header manifolds the work perfect too i was tuaght by the old sckool guys that were doing this in the late 60s

30. burnin53

burnin53
    from cuba,n.y.

Why not use the kickdown linkage that came with your engine/tranny,not enough room?