Register now to get rid of these ads!

Howells sheet metal co.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 5_guy, Aug 29, 2011.

1. jleblanc31

jleblanc31

I ordered some parts from them and got my parts with in 4 weeks.

2. 94hoghead

94hoghead

Is it too much to expect for a company that has your money in hand to at least answer the phone and give you an honest answer. I don't care of it takes several weeks if they'd just tell me that it will take several weeks.

3. lamaison

lamaison
    from Canada

They also sell on eBay (and seem to do surprisingly well there). In the last year they have received over 1100 positives and only 11 negatives (99% positive).

If you use eBay and they happen to have what you're after, purchasing there will likely give you a better and quicker solution should there be problems.

Their eBay ID is "09-40"

4. cadillac dave

cadillac dave

Howells sells parts that fit, and they are made in the U.S.A. they do take a while to get sometimes, and they probably would take longer if they stopped production and answered the phone every time it rang. they have been making parts for a long time. the "new" buyers are used to a different kind of supplier. the modern flashy catalog and a person who always answers the phone, but can't make shit that fits. after buying several front Model A radiator aprons from suppliers that have it in stock,and said Howells made it, I ended up in Texas,at a warehouse ,where the part was really made and picked up one that really fit...from a fellow American that makes parts in America. and it fit better then the original part. and I am glad I got it from such fine honest people. just my 2 cents worth

5. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

I ordered a pair of inner door bottoms for my '33 doors from Howell's yesterday. Today, I received my UPS tracking notice from them. Can't ask for better service than that. They are 3 for 3 so far.

6. 5window

5window

Sorry, CD. If you are that busy, you hire someone to answer the phone. Or you have a working answering machine that takes your message and tells you when you can expect a reply. Taking folks' money and then becoming unavailable,just because you are a cantankerous company with a monopoly on the good fit market is NOT being "fine honest people".

If that's what you think, tell me what you need and send me the money. I'll be sure and get you your parts-someday. I'm good honest people,too.

7. mow too much

mow too much

I've bought parts from them at Pate, the parts that I ordered came in a timely manner and fit great.

8. 5_guy

5_guy
    from Upland, CA

I have read all responses from my initial question. I am willing to wait as that is not an issue. My only issue is why no return phone calls or emails? Kinda simple isnt it? In fact I had sent an email asking if they provide a tracking service and no response yet others say they recieved such tracking.

Since I have never recieved any of there products I was lead to believe they are one of the best out there for replacement sheet metal so thats why I bought from them. Everyone has there opinions on if they are good or bad, but I find it interesting that if you run a business and are that busy that you cannot answer phone calls or emails don't you think you could hire someone to do that?

If anyone can tell me how to get thru to them to find out the staus of my order I am open to suggestions, as I just called again (5th time) and the answering machine said it was full!

9. 5_guy

5_guy
    from Upland, CA

Hey your in Texas and seem to defend this company why don't you go over and check on my order for me! Id appreciate the effort.

10. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

If it were me and I were that frustrated (I feel your pain, bro), I'd try to find a HAMB'r close by and ask them to go check on the status of my order......throw in a case o brew or something to make it worth their while.

That said, when you order some of their stuff on THE AUCTION SITE, they respond very quickly. Which tells me that someone does in fact monitor their computer.

Have you tried getting touch with them through the "contact seller" on THAT AUCTION SITE? Maybe they pay more attention to that account than their email. Just a thought.

11. 5 guy....I just phoned and Ryan answered on third ring
    I just Thanked him for the FAST 4 day service I recieved
    Are you calling the right number????
    800-375-6663 ?

12. 5_guy

5_guy
    from Upland, CA

Just tried and was busy so that's a good sign, I will keep trying thanks for the positive feedback. wbrw32 yep that's the number, thanks. I will also try THE AUCTION SITE as well

13. 5_guy

5_guy
    from Upland, CA

Great, just got off the phone with Ryan, he said he was sorry for not getting back to me. In fact he is out of some parts but to show my respect I added to my order. He said he was shipping out today, should have soon.

14. 41fastback

41fastback

I bought one their 30-31 Model A drilled visors on Ebay. Got it quickly but the fit-up is terrible. I put it down and walked away wondering how the heck am I'm going to fix it. Looks like cutting and welding (for $200).

15. m.ralph

m.ralph

I've had good luck from David then with Ryan who owns Howell's now.Parts fit and look good.Its good to buy American Made parts.They have helped me with many parts on my various projects over the years without problems. Ralph

16. unclerichard

unclerichard
    from Michigan

I ordered on tue and recieved on fri from Texas to Michigan. They have always treated me very well whether I order on the phone or buy thru ebay. I like their quality too! Never an issue here

17. I'v read a couple of these posts on Howells, I rekin i'v got panels from them internationally quicker than some of you fellas... i dont kno their situation but... are they getting to big for the amount of staff they have?

18. I have bought from them on the auction site (last month)and was very happy with the product and the shipping time.

19. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

Funny! You dont understand how big Texas is.

Its 924 miles across Texas.
    Dallas to Chicago Illinois is 927
    El Paso to Los Angeles is only 800
    Upland Ca is only 768 miles from El Paso Texas

20. 5_guy

5_guy
    from Upland, CA

No I do know how big Texas is, what's the old saying "Sun comes up and the Sun goes down and your still in Texas".
    By the way Beaumont-Upland 1602 miles.

21. OldTC

OldTC

Just thought I'd add to this thread in case anyone else does a search prior to doing business with Howell's.

I read this thread while doing research on the patch panels I needed....and was a little concerned to say the least about ordering direct from the company's web-site.

I place two orders for a total of ten patch panels through ebay and at first was worried due to the lack of communication. Patience is neccesary.....but the orders were filled, shipped and on my doorstep two weeks later!

22. coopsdaddy

coopsdaddy
    from oklahoma

I received my patches anr was happy,they are better fit than alot,but i have a buddy that ordered 2 complete qtrs and it took 3 months,threatend with papers on local court house letterhead and got a refund,come to find out they cant pay there bills,as the qtrs come from a big supplier(BV)and they were there awaiting payment,he was stupid and payed cash at a swap meet they were at,just fyi,i think thank they need a new owner

23. Roothawg

Roothawg

I only buy when I can pick it up in person.

24. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

I just received my latest patch panels from Howells, within a week of ordering them, which seems to be the norm when I order from them. Maybe I'm just lucky. lol.

25. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

I guess I'm going to requote myself here.but if yall don't like the service try another company.Nothing against Howells..their great people. Try Car-line manufacturing and dist...they do wonderful work and also in beaumont. They mainly specialize in wood kits but do sheet metal patches too. Their ph# is

26. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

I've gotten a few items for my 41 pu never had a problem

27. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

Car-line ph. 409-833-9757

28. anteek

anteek

I buy from Ryan regularly and get good service, They ship 200 plus items a DAY. Mistakes happen;he has a huge investment and tries to keep his overhead down. Remember that only two things in nature are perfect; a machinist and a asshole

29. 5_guy

5_guy
    from Upland, CA

Interesting, I thought this thread was over. Just as an update to my story after airing my concerns here on HAMB plus calling numerous times I finally got with Ryan and he completed most of my order, which I recieved a little over a week from our conversation.

There was one main item that I needed to finish a certain area of my build. Ryan said he should have that item by end of the following week. 2 weeks latr I called to inquire and was told that it did not come in as he thought but should be at his place the following week. No problem, after another 2 weeks I called again and heard the same story, not there but coming in. I called another vendor and they had the part which I ordered. I called Ryan and quickly canceled that last item order. On a positive note, the parts I did recieve from Howells were good quality and fit.