Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Clutch Popper Wednesdays

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jalopy Kid, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Shit your mullet is looking GOOOOOOOOOOOOD :D

2. hotflint

hotflint

Ahahahahahahahahaa!

3. What the hell is going on it is Thursday afternoon and no Wednesday night update yet?

4. Last night didn't quite work out, so this week we're having Clutch Poppers Thursday.

5. LOL Good to know I was getting worried.:D

6. OK so for those that still read this thread, sorry about the delay. Wednesday night just didn't work out last night, so we had a re-do tonight.

As some of you know, we have a top secret Clutch Popper project going on. I'd love to tell you all about it, but I won't. One hint though, it's going to be fast.
    Last Tuesday Charlie, Johnny and I went out to Thorsby Alberta and picked up a 79 F-150 to use for a donor. Tonight we stripped it.
    First thing we did was fire it up to make sure it ran as good as the previous owner claimed it did. It was parked for 6 years. Changed the magic box for the electronic ignition, gave it some new fuel and a battery, and it fired right up. No smoke, no knocks, decent oil pressure.... that made us happy.

[​IMG]

Once we had it running, it was time to unload it and bring it inside!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh, and it has a mint tailgate to replace the bent to shit one on my 64 F-100!
    [​IMG]

Once inside the tear down began.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Smoke break
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

After the smoke break, the drive train came out!! all 460 cubic inches of it!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

With it out we stripped all the unnecessary parts off of it and started degreasing it.
    [​IMG]

The rest of the truck was loaded up. Tomorrow I'm going to steal the rear end out of it, as the one in my 64 started howling a few weeks ago, and of course take off the tailgate. Then it goes to the crusher!
    [​IMG]

Johnny has the day off tomorrow, so he's going to come clean it up, and give it a new paint job, then this weekend were going to install it in our top secret project!
    [​IMG]

For supper we barbequed some bratwursts. Fat Dave couldnt make it tonight, as he is recording a hit record and has spent most of the week in the recording studio. Dave Iggulden was here last night, but couldn't make it tonight.

7. Foppa

Foppa

excellent work !

8. can we guess what the secret project is? my guess '54 f1

9. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

Big ol mean 460. Shoulda gone with a chevy instead...:)

10. pex

pex
    from alberta

i'll guess the secret project is the intercrashable pick up.

11. Thanks for the update. I kind of paniced when it didn't come up yesterday.:D

12. Lee, did you make 8 seconds?! haha Great shot riding the BBF!

My guess on the secret project - landspeed '27 roadster!!

Steve

Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
  13. Some interesting guesses there. I don't know about putting that big block in a glass roadster. Sounds like a perfectly good bad idea though.

14. Yea, So tonight was Big Dick Dave's night. We had some pizza for supper and then went to town working on the fleetline. Earlier in the week Dave got the new 235 back in the car, tonight we just started hooking everything up, and cleaning and polishing stuff as it went back on.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Charlie setting the valves
    [​IMG]

Dave hooking up the exhaust. Notice all the liquid on the floor? Sasha has some good pictures of how that got there. Those will be posted later. It was the greatest thing Dave ever did!
    [​IMG]

And it involved this!
    [​IMG]

Oil lines on...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

New distributor going in. Wow do I ever need a haircut! Maybe I'll do that tomorrow...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The epic moment where the beer almost fell off the bumper....
    [​IMG]

Dave and his road draft tube...
    [​IMG]

By the end of the night, everything was pretty well back together, except the water pump, which still has not shown up in the mail, and the rad and fan of course.

Anyways here is a great video, to entertain you all until next Wednesday.

http://youtu.be/Jag7oTemldY

15. So about the funnel again...

When Sasha shows up he usually brings some beer.
    We all grabbed one, but Dave was under the car. I asked if he wanted one and he said sure. I said stick your head out and open your mouth....
    The pictures say the rest....
    Entire can, tranmission funnel, it was wiped out with a rag, but thats about it....
    [​IMG]

Dave is my hero!!

16. Haha, Road draft tube!
    Love all that copper tubing.

Keep it up guys, I'm always hanging out for the next instalment of Clutch Popper Wednesdays.

17. hotrodjeep

hotrodjeep
    from Tama, Iowa

I was gonna wish you guys good luck with the shop night yesterday afternoon.....
    Looks like you didn't need it.

You've invented a new way for frat boys to show off for the college Girls.....
    "Yo, dude, let me hit that beer bong from under my car, DUDE ...Canadian Style DUDE!"

Jeff

18. HAHA Dave is crazy. Looks like his car is getting close again.

I hope you aren't waiting on UPS for the pump I had to have a three day screaming match with them last week to get my windshield frame delivered. They suck balls!!

19. hotflint

hotflint

I am waiting for the water pump to be built. I ordered it from patricks antique chevrolet and he said he is waiting for a run of them to be built, basically its back ordered.

20. Kingsway

Kingsway

21. Curt B

Curt B

I ran the short shaft setup for a few years but in reality the pump is too low in relation to the rad and if you have a failure on the road then what? I switched to using the adapter plate that allows mounting a 216 style pump on a 1955 or later 235/261 and cooling is much better. If a narrow belt is desired you use a 1953-1954 216/235 pump and for wide belt a 1952 or earlier one. This page shows the different pumps and how the adapter plate works:

http://pugetsoundvintagechevrolet.org/Programs/6 cylinder engines with photos.pdf

Here's a source for the plate but Jim Carter sells them too:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1955...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20b3d59afe

22. Yea! So tonight we worked on my newest toy, a 1930 Model A Fordor. My Dad got back late last night after a 20 hour non stop road trip to go pick it up. I have to say, I sure appreciate having a retired truck driver for a dad. Not only does he love old cars just as much as I do, he enjoys going on road trips all over the continent to pick them up for me. Provided I pay for the fuel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My Dad and I unloaded it in the morning, through some gas and a battery in it, and went for a drive around the block. Although it does run, it doesn't run great, and sure doesn't stop worth a shit. After our trip around the block we were sitting in front of it enjoying our morning coffee when there was a loud BANG followed by a long whoosh. The front tire literary exploded haha.

The car sat in front of the shop all day, until tonight when we brought it inside to get her a little more road worthy.

[​IMG]

First thing on the list was some tires that held air. I had a brand new set of 7.50/16 whitewalls for the back, and dug up some temporary whitewalls for the front. Eventually as the budget allows, it will be getting some 5.25/16's for the front.
    [​IMG]

Dave started the night out by taking care of a leaky water pump. Tightened up the pack nut and it's good as new now.
    [​IMG]

A couple interior shots. Everything except the interior light works. Even the map light works!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Since we are a traditional hot rod club, I figured we would break out the "traditional" tire machine to mount the new rubber on the rims.
    [​IMG]

Charlie had started cleaning up all the stainless bits, and when Dave was done with the water pump he started helping out Charlie. They wet sanded all the stainless with grey scotchbrite and then buffed it back to a shine. It turned out real nice!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

While they were doing that, Johnny and I took care of the maintenance stuff. The rearend and transmission were both drained and filled with fresh fluid, and the brakes were all adjusted.
    [​IMG]

Once the fluids were changed, I fired it back up to see if I could get it running better. I drove a 28 Model A coupe with a pretty much stock 4 banger for two summers daily, so I'm pretty good at making these things run. Their pretty simple. This one however, is still running like crap, so I'm thinking a carb overhaul maybe needed. It's popping like it's lean, and will only run decent if the choke is pulled all the way out. Could be a intake leak also. I wasn't feeling that ambitious to pull the intake off. Save that for another night.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

With the new wheels on, and it running "good enough" we backed it outside and spent the rest of the night taking turns driving it around the block.
    It still don't stop worth a shit, so I think in the near future a swap to hydraulic brakes will be done. The front end is pretty wore out also, so it will probably be getting a dropped axle with some 37-41 spindles and hubs.
    [​IMG]

I have to admit the front wheels look ridiculous, but at least they hold air, and thats good enough for now.
    The plan is just get it running and driving nice, a bit lower to the ground (about 4") and just enjoy it as an old car. Once the roadster is 100% done, maybe I'll throw some V8 power in it:D
    [​IMG]

23. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

bitchin more door man! i love my little 30' coupe.

24. better drums, new lining, repair all the wear points, and a "by the book" adjustment and the mechanicals would work fine. the stock brakes are good for "part time" use they won't leak over time. great car good luck with it.

25. I have faith in mechanical brakes, my 28 coupe had them, and it stopped on a dime with proper maintenance.
    However if i'm going to put all the effort and money in to rebuilding brakes, I may as well upgrade to hydraulic. In the future I would like to put a V8 in this car.

26. hotrodjeep

hotrodjeep
    from Tama, Iowa

I've got a homemade down draft intake and rear hydo brake setup for you.
    Let's make a deal !!!

Jeff

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  27. Sorry for the late Thursday afternoon update.
    Last night photobucket and you tube were taking too long, and I was out of smokes, so I just went to bed instead.

We didn't get up to any hot rod related stuff last night, as Fat Dave booked a gig with Johnny on a Wednesday night....again.
    So since it was suppose to be Johnny's night anyways, we all cruised down to the Empress to listen to some more shitty blues.

Dave met me at the shop and we cruised over in the 50 Buick. I've been working on this car for a few months now and just got it all finished up last week. Swapped the entire drivetrain out for a 348 Chevy, with a 4 speed and a chevy 12 bolt rear end. The customer is working out of town, so he told me to drive it for a days to work out all the bugs until he gets back. It's a fun car!
    [​IMG]

We were fortunate enough to score rock star parking right out front.
    [​IMG]

And here we are at the Empress
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ol' Smashy on stage
    [​IMG]

Sasha came down and met up with us later on in the night.
    [​IMG]

The second set they did was a whole lot better.
    [​IMG]

At the end of the night Sasha's buddy Raz showed up driving his newly acquired 52 Chevy.
    [​IMG]

We hung out out front for a while and then everyone went home. It was a good night, a nice break from working on cars. Next Wednesday I can assure you we will be back to our regular programing.

Here is a video I shot early on in the night. I got one and half songs before my memory card filled up.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NBP_TSyn7M

28. That Buick is cool!!. Thanks for the update Lee even though you guys didn't work on cars it is still cool to find out what you get up to on Wednesday nights.

29. dgg-dt1948

dgg-dt1948

Damn! I stayed up 'till 1:00 A.M. waiting. I guess beer, broads and blues beat rods.

30. Sorry... I was tired okay! haha