Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 41 plymouth coupe 392 hemi build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by farmer12, Apr 7, 2010.

1. robleticia

robleticia

primer, primer, primer!!!!!! Cant wait to see it!

2. farmer12

farmer12

Today was the last day for me in the workshop. Started unbolting the tunnel so it can be sanded and also give me a little extra room for the welding I needed to do.

I positioned the support brackets in place, masked it off, sanded the area and applied red welding primer. Then tacked it in place with the pedal set mounted to them. Finally took the set out again and fully welded it all up. Came out perfect!

Attached Files:

3. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Gonna be tough to check the fluid in that reservoir after you get the dash in & wired huh?

4. robleticia

robleticia

nah....you know farmer, I bet he has a trick up his sleeve!~

5. farmer12

farmer12

I did think about that as well. I want the car to be mechanically running before I start the electrical system. There will be enough space behind/inside the dash to allow me to use a simple little dipstick and add fluid if necessary. By using a small oil pump cannister and hose, I can add the fluids. The dash is held in place by 7 small bolts and 2 larger ones, so removal is not that difficult either, if worst comes to worst and major surgery is required!

6. Eric, man you've come a long way with that car, getting to the primer is tough, what color it it gonna be????

7. Primer is actually an awesome choice for some cars IMO. Sometimes the imagination is better than a coat of paint! Both to the admirer AND the owner! ;)

Keep those progress pics coming! Looks awesome!

8. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you Gary. The primer is going to slightly darker than it is now. For the final color......either dark gray or black. For some reason black seems to be an obvious choice, but I'm leaning more towards dark gray. Something with little to no metallic. I did pick up an original color chart of the 41 Plymouth on ebay a while back. There was this color called flight gray........

Attached Files:

9. farmer12

farmer12

Me neither Rob! These are the last pics before final sanding, sandblast and primer. The second pic shows the dash and tunnel in the trunk and ready for treatment.

I asked the painter (Peter) to add a few drops of black to the epoxy primer. That way he knows he's covered everything and I get a darker colored body! Picking up the body on sunday. Can't wait!!!:D:D:D

Attached Files:

hemi v8 likes this.
  10. farmer12

farmer12

Just got word that my car (body only)has been epoxy primered and ready to be picked up. Unfortunately I have to wait until Sunday to do so...........Can't wait to see it!!!

11. Congrats!!!!
    We are all waiting to see it too!

;)

12. farmer12

farmer12

Well today was the big day! My buddy Bart came by early this morning with his pick up and trailer, and we drove the 60 odd miles to pick up the body. I've just got myself the worst cold but took a hand full of pills which made me feel a little better. Nothing was going to stop me today!

We arrived at Martin's shop around 11 and loaded her up. It took 4 of us to get the body on the trailer and tightened the ropes. I had asked the painter to add a few drops of black to the primer so it would darker than the usual light grey. Came out looking great! There are still a few small areas that need minor work, but remember at this stage all you see is metal,lead and primer.:D

After a quick coffee we headed home. More pics soon.

Attached Files:

hemi v8 likes this.
  13. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Looking Good! I really like the profile of that side shot, that chop is perfect. Whats next?

14. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Yeah,the profile is perfect.
    And i think its a milestone in your project to get the body primered,congrats!

15. farmer12

farmer12

Continuing the story......I was surprised at the amount of thumbs up and people twisting their necks as they passed us on the highway. I thought, "man, it's only primered..."

After a quick lunch at McD, we drove the last 20 miles to my place. Rounded up some neighbors and my son, and started to work out how to get it off the trailer and place it on the chassis. The body has increased in weight considerably compared to 9 months ago, so it was wise to use 5 people in total to offload it.

Notice the t shirt Robleticia? Thanks bro!

Attached Files:

16. farmer12

farmer12

Well finally got the body on the chassis, after having to lift it over the c-notch. I'm going to mount it properly tomorrow after I've installed the last rubbers. Adjustments are also required on the rear 4 link to get the wheels in the correct position, but that will come later. For now, I'm happy it is where it belongs.

Attached Files:

hemi v8 likes this.
  17. farmer12

farmer12

Here's a pic of my buddy Bart and me. Finally the car is in my garage again!

Attached Files:

hemi v8 likes this.
  18. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

19. thinkfink

thinkfink

20. I never wanted a old plymouth until now. This thing is truly inspiring.

21. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you gentlemen! The comments are appreciated.

22. robleticia

robleticia

I love it, the tint in the primer was a cool idea too! My t-shirts made it to the Netherlands! I'm wold wide baby! I cant wait till March to buy you a beer. Thanks bro!

23. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

You got that right, I'm not even a sled guy but I love this car! Can't wait to see it on the road, ...well, me and a bazillion other HAMBers.:)

24. plmczy

plmczy

Damn thats a work of art right there. Beautifull!

25. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks Rob! Looking forward to that beer. For those that don't know, my buddy Bart and I are planning to go to the Lone Star Spring Nationals in March 2012. Hope to meet a lot of fellow Hambers there. (and drink a few beers with you Robleticia!). Bart and I are looking forward to it!

26. nikkke

nikkke

27. exterminator

exterminator

28. n847

n847

I can't wait to see this thing finsihed!!

29. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you guys, it still amazes me how many Hambers out there are supporting me. A big thank you to all!

30. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you OahuEli! To answer your question.......see below.

Despite feeling very average today, I pursued on. Got the pedal set mounted, including the brake booster this time. Next was the dash. Considering I want to use SS screws/bolts/rings/nuts as much as possible, I had to re-thread the holes in order to accept metric stuff. Bolted it in place and it clears the brake booster and leaving enough room for the gauges. I think I will have to install the speedo on the right of the three holes due to the limited space for the cable.

Attached Files: