Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects A 28 Willys, a blower and a V12

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vtwinpartss, Jun 1, 2010.

1. vtwinpartss

vtwinpartss
    from NOR CAL

The main color of the truck is black. Above the top belt line will be heavy red flake outlined in gold flake.

Made alot of progress the last couple of weeks

I finally made my door hinges. I read all the tech threads on suicide door hinges and didnt like any of them. I wanted my doors level and straight I didnt want to angle the doors so they would stay open. So I robed a early 70's ford truck of its door hinges. THey have the spring on the top hinge to keep the doors open.

Door closed
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. vtwinpartss

vtwinpartss
    from NOR CAL

and now for the engine I painted it

I will get better photo tomorrow if the sun coomes out.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. nlancaster

nlancaster

Photobucket failure detected.

Rebooting browser and looking at something else....

Keep up the good work, looks like enough people like looking at it to blow thru 10GBs of bandwidth in only 17 days.

4. vtwinpartss

vtwinpartss
    from NOR CAL

Photobucket failure fixed.

and now we have two doors that open and close and latch and lock.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just need to finish up bracing the doors

5. vtwinpartss

vtwinpartss
    from NOR CAL

The metal work is nearly finished one more day and the skin will be ready. I was looking at some old photos and didnt realize what a dramatic differance the before and after was.
    Firewall before
    [​IMG]
    Firewall after
    [​IMG]
    Drivers side before
    [​IMG]
    Drivers side after
    [​IMG]
    Passenger side before
    [​IMG]
    Passenger side after
    [​IMG]

6. tr1965

tr1965

That truck is looking good! I can't wait to see in finished, keep the updates coming.

7. Pingar

Pingar

Nice looking truck. I like the mixing bowls idea..lol.

8. ScottV

ScottV

Dude !!!, there is something seriously crazy with engine !!!

And it is way C:cool::cool:L !!!!

9. vtwinpartss

vtwinpartss
    from NOR CAL

Things are changing once again. If I stop changing crap I would have been able to drive her a long time ago.

I cut off the ugly ass rear suspension, and decided to go with a ford 9". I built or I should say I rebuilt the back half of the fram last weekend now Im just waiting for brackets to built the four link. The frame rails are about 4" below the top of the bed

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. If you´re in the mood for changing things... then something struck me about the shape of the cab. Seems like the belt line had something of a gentle curve to it (seen from above), tapering towards the front of the car, but your repairs to the bottom of the cab appear to be dead straight, and follow the chassis. It looks like there is some conflict between what the belt line is doing and what the bottom of the cab is doing. It looks a little "sucked in" towards the base, if you get me. Don´t take this the wrong way please, it´s just my thoughts on one part of this cool truck! Can´t wait to see and hear this one running.

11. vtwinpartss

vtwinpartss
    from NOR CAL

All of the belt lines are dead straight, The bottom of the cowl is wider than the area where the upper belt line is. The photo makes it look much more dramitic than it actually is. The cowl is 3" narrower at the belt line than the bottom of the cowl, but yes you are right the photo does make it look funny

12. vtwinpartss

vtwinpartss
    from NOR CAL

I have not updated you guys in a while now, not much progress has been made. The body got sent off to a friends shop for a little lower rework. I wasnt happy with the cab corner transition. I will post photos when she comes back.

I finally welded in the rear suspension, its only take three on the rear end design. I finally decided to go with the ford 9" and a triangulated 4-link with coilovers..I will not change it again. She rolled outside for the first time in 6 months, man does the gold motor look good in the sun.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Giovanni

Giovanni

14. I so wanna hear this run.

15. vtwinpartss

vtwinpartss
    from NOR CAL

It has been a busy summer with not much to show in the way of progress, but she did get a little more metal work. Thanks to Peterson Bro's in Petaluma.

So the cab corners looked like crap before and now they look so much better.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. h2omonkey

h2omonkey
    from vegas

Love your build, cant wait to see it finished. I know you already have the front suspension worked out but for future reference, the 2 wheel drive willys trucks (and I believe jeepsters, and wagons) starting in 1947 had i beam front axles stock....
    [​IMG]

17. Blacksmith54

Blacksmith54
    from Phoenix AZ

At work the owner has a Bentley with a BMW V12 in it it is supposed to put out 550 bhp don't know if it does but I do know it will do 160 plus. You had better luck with your bowl than I did. My wife watched me paint a car in the garage one night and I had gone down to Massa Markt and bought a salad bowl to mix paint in and after I was done I washed up the bowl as I had always done (don't like other colors in the next paint job) and she swiped it I said hey that's mine and she said that's ok I am stealing she took it in the house and used it for dinner. I am looking for one of these engines to use in a boat I want to build.

18. cheveey57

cheveey57

Love this build, any updates?

19. Blackcherry

Blackcherry

Just finished this thread, amazing. Love the motor and the early Willys body, that tailgate find is perfect, too cool of a logo. It takes a bold man to build such a rod, an even bolder one to fix what doesn't look right. All your alterations are spot on, I liked the rear set up...but it just didn't fit, great fix must have been hard cutting all that work off. You'll find a use for that rear set up, maybe a daily driver 50's/60's truck. Anyway great thread look forward to your creative progress. It's going to shake up the establishment.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  20. b-rod10

b-rod10

Just read threw this awesome thread. Truck looks great. Can we see some pictures of shop tools.

21. SloW8

SloW8
    from Utah - USA

What transmission are you using? Does it need a computer? Any info on how you are running ignition and fuel?

22. Inland empire hot rods

Inland empire hot rods
    from so cal

23. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D And another super cool build from the H.A.M.B.Lovin` it.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

24. JYPSEA

JYPSEA
    from Florida

WOW! you definitively have the confusion factor there.

25. lrapso

lrapso
    from Costa Rica

Cool build
    I say COOL......:D:D:D:D

just suscribed

26. vtwinpartss

vtwinpartss
    from NOR CAL

The trans is a stock BMW automatic running a compushift controller. The controller monitors rpm and throttle position and handles all of the shifting for me. It also gives different preprogrammed settings for street or strip. You can program shift points and it even allows for paddle shifting. I wanted the 6 speed from the 850csi, but couldn't afford it.

27. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

id like to hear it run..

28. So it bounced back up after almost a year. Any updates? My chassis was sold out form under me (don't ask), and my V12 is now sitting out in a cargo container looking for a new home. Hope yours is a lot closer to hitting the street...

29. jtm_elcamino

jtm_elcamino
    from Uvalde Tx

• amazing build!! im slowly building a 383 with a 6v71 huffer. id appreciate any input on how you got the drive assembly together.