Register now to get rid of these ads!

Great Labor Day Cruise

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ramrod2624, Aug 31, 2011.

1. ramrod2624

ramrod2624

Ok so labor day is this weekend and Even though I know a lot of you on here don't like this show,Its that time again! The Orange County Labor day cruise, OCCA. I have been attending and camping the whole weekend there for over 17 years! things have changed over time some good some bad but it has become a tradition for My family, my self and some great friends! If you plan on going and care to stop by to rest your feet, shoot the bull, have a cold drink, I will be right at the end of the main cruise lane just before the turn. you will see my 41 ford there. Stop by and say HI.
    Hope to see some of you there!

2. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

I know several people who have the same feelings . Like most events , it's all about what you make of it . I've often wondered why more Orange Count car guys don't get more onboard with this event . If more people had your attitude this could be an outstanding event , have a great weekend !

3. cool37

cool37
    from SoCal

ramrod..I will be there. Will stop by and say HEY!
    Have been going for several years....set up camp and spend the weekend telling lies and drinkin a few cold ones!

4. I will be there. In fact I think we are camped about two spots over from you ramrod. I have been every year - all 29! Look for my Red RPU in my avatar, along with Black 56 T Bird and Black 32 3 window coupe, we are at the East end of the Camping section. Heading there in about 4 hours.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2011

5. Muttley

Muttley

Check your math, the GLDC has been going on longer than that. ;)

6. What? All 29, just like I said :D

7. I'll be in Ventura....Have fun.

8. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

9. We will - you too :D

10. As you know it used to be a huge event, but things changed over the years, a lot of which were organizational issues that drove the vendors away. I still enjoy it - as you say, make it fun and it will be.

Phil why don't you come on down and bring your brushes, the 29 still needs some stripes!

11. cool37

cool37
    from SoCal

I agree hotroddon....this starting on Friday at mid day is new and tough for some of us working stiffs to make it. Still enjoy the venue though!

12. Muttley

Muttley

I went with my Dad when I was a kid in '84 & '85. I spent most of the day walking around by myself looking at cars and watching a guy in one of the vendor buildings airbrush T-shirts. Great times.

13. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

This is one of my favorite shows!! I like it because cars are actually moving, the weather is nice, admission price keeps the riff-raff out. We used to camp, but have not for the past 3-4 years due to my kid's sports commitments. I agree, it is what you make of it. IMO, this should be THE go-to show of the year for people in SoCal. Nothin' like cruisin' your ride!!
    Changes --> I think the Cruising For A Cure show has taken a lot of the wind out of the GLDC show. It is only three weeks later. CFAC is only one day and allows ANY year car. Last time I went, there were a lot of PTs & Minis. Props to the people who keep the GLDC going.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
  14. We will be the in our beast having a good time cruisin

15. Nort

Nort
    from Anaheim

I'll be there,
    I try to make the most of it, enjoying the cars and friends
    and leave the drama and politics to somebody else.

16. Yes ! I still love this show.I have gone the last few years just to spectate and have a few cold ones and it is always a good time.

17. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

Don , I'd bring my striping brushes , but you'd be asking me for "the show special" . ha ha ha !! See ya there .

18. Can people bring cars in for just one day ?

19. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

Yes, they have in the past.

20. choptup 49

choptup 49
    from so-cal

This is always a great show. I've been going since I was about 12 years old. I remember going in my baseball coach's 55. I think ill steal my lil brothers 32 for the weekend!

21. ramrod2624

ramrod2624

Looks like there will be a few of us here. Like it was said come. Out and enjoy. Let others deal with drama and politics. Stop by I'm right at the end of the main just before the turn. LOok for the 41 ford truck. See you at the show!
    Rudy

22. ^^ Saw your truck yesterday when I moved the motorhome in. I'm in space 35.
    I'll be back about noon today

It looks like the vendor area is growing again - good thing!

Also the motorhome parking was pretty full by 6:00 last night so I think the turn out will be good.

23. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

I'm hoping to go Saturday as a spectator. I've helping my niece's boyfriend fix up the house he just bought. Week after week we've been working on this thing. We're texturing the whole inside Sat. morning, then a bunch of us are headed for the Great Labor Day Cruise for some fun!!! Classic cars + CRUISING = :D

24. I still love this show, I remember first going in the mid 80's with my dad, and since high school me and some buddies never miss it. Lotta gold chainers but still a lot of good cars and it's always nice to sit back with a beer and wait for some ding dong revving the shit outta his car to overheat it and puke all over haha. Never gets old. Added bonus is I live on the other side of the 55 so I usually just ride the beach cruiser across Newport Blvd and get there in under 5 min.

25. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

I went by this evening and picked up my registration packet , and the place looks pretty full . Lots of campers and vendors, not mention several cars already there . Looks to be another good weekend .

26. Just came home. Friday was good, Saturday was packed but today was pretty light. Overall a GREAT show once again and we had a damn good time!

27. Don, that roadster pick up is bad ass! Is the motor a 289 or 302? You sure have an awesome fleet! I got up there late sat night & stayed till about 4 on today. This show has been a Rojas family tradition for about 23 years. I drove my sisters fairlane out this year, my dad had his 65 elcamino, my sister had her 54 chevy truck, & my uncle took his 67 riv. Hopefully next year ill see you there!

28. Thanks! It's a 347 Stroker that makes 385 HP. Pretty fun in that little light thing

29. Here's some pics, starting with our camp
    [​IMG]

and then some cool stuff I saw
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]