Register now to get rid of these ads!

Early Cadillac valve covers - development input please

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CadDaddy42, Dec 17, 2008.

1. No news on the adapters yet. I haven't had time to set them up.

New policy: free shipping (in the 48 states) on these covers, for Alliance members :D Trying to talk the boss into a permanent, across the board Alliance Member discount of some sort, but this is a start.

2. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

what's the status on these? into regular production? or still on the limited run?

3. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

why not just a 1/2" or so riser to use existing valve covers and clear valvetrain, i.e. SBC stuff??

4. @ Falconsprint - They are in stock and ready to ship.

@ oldcarfart -
    The clearance issue isn't just about height. All '49-up Cadillacs had hydraulic cams from the factory, and therefore there was no allowance (or need) in the stock design, for an adjustable valvetrain. Since the Caddy has full-shaft style rockers, an aftermarket adjustable rocker setup has an adjuster screw on the pushrod end of the rocker arm. The humps on the side of these aftermarket valve covers, are to clear those physically larger adjustable rocker arms.

5. kool32

kool32
    from Kentucky

6. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 18, 2011
  7. Hi!

Hi!
    from SoCal

Im curious also???

8. So what's the word/status as of today? 9-1-11?

9. Ours are on the shelf as a general rule. I expect them to be an inventory item for the forseeable future. All of the feedback I have gotten has been positive, except for AC bracket clearance, and the lack of a center bolt version. Got a Hamber who is going to send me a center bolt head to solve that bit as soon as I manage to get some help hired that will actually show up, so I have time to work on development, or late fall when things slow down a bit, whichever comes first. We are also planning to to design AC brackets that clear aluminum valve covers, alternator brackets that work with headers, etc.

I have heard zero feedback on the Bell Auto covers so far. But in the eBay add, he said limited run - as soon as his costs are covered, no more.

Speaking of 'when I get some help', we are hiring... full time, benefits, crappy pay, awesome perks, will train (no specific experience required, just a willingness to learn, and ability to show up reliably). Everything from office work to shipping to shop work.

10. I have an engine with the two bolt (center bolt) valve covers. I have been curious, but haven't been able to find any information on the details of the unique heads. Are these just an early engine that was produced for part of a year? Do any other GM engine's valve covers fit these engines, or are they truly unique? What was the reason for the change? How many of each were made for 1949? Are there any other differences in the heads? Any info would be appreciated!

~Alden

11. As I understand it they are just the early 49 design...not sure why they changed to the 4 bolt pattern. Leaks issues maybe???

12. italianhotrodder

italianhotrodder
    from sweden

hi guys news about valve cover adapter???? i have a 500 cid and i need of early valve cover adapter also used let me know

13. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

14. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

years ago I had bought adapters to put 390 finned covers on a 500 engine, will these be made available? The ones I had were from a california company that went out of business.

15. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

I gave up waiting and made my own !!!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  16. italianhotrodder

italianhotrodder
    from sweden

i'm thinking the same but i want to know some spec about... do you have some picture about yours? i need to know the height etc
    at cad 500 and mooneyes is out of stock in this moment

17. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Full details & pics are in my 26T build thread http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=267054&page=29

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  18. italianhotrodder

italianhotrodder
    from sweden

19. italianhotrodder

italianhotrodder
    from sweden

Thanks to Langy i Did the adapters to My self missing only the 4 holes for the new offenhauser finned valve cover when i bought them i drill the 4 holes and i finish my engine
    [​IMG][/IMG]

20. 49cadde

49cadde

The early Cad 331 2 bolt valve covers leaked and thus, the later 4 screw valve covers came into production after engine #33,000 plus.

The early 2 bolt covers will fit a 4 screw if you replace the 2 rocker towers to accept the v.cover bolts.

I have a nice set of hot tanked 2 bolt covers with plug wire shields that need paint for $199 shipped in the USA.

Jeff 209 890-8032 Cad Lasalle Club calif

21. HotrodVon

HotrodVon

Any word on Early Cad '49 Valve cover adapters to fit Cad 500's????

22. There should be adapters for the 4-bolt early valve covers, and there used to be, but the place that made them went under, and we haven't gotten set up to make them in-house yet. Should have, but there are only so many hours in the day.

23. HotrodVon

HotrodVon

Thank you.... I just want the 500 Cad engine for my '48 F1 bonneville push truck to look like an early Cad...

24. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

They are pretty easy to make yourself, if you have both sets of covers just draw around them and take to a laser cutter.

hrm2k likes this.
  25. italianhotrodder

italianhotrodder
    from sweden

i did drawing for a 472-500 valve covers adapters i'm going to cut a small batch if anyone interested send me a mail to luca dot pizzano et gmail dot com with this you can mount a early caddy valve covers or offenhauser with 4 bolts mounting holes i will be ready in a few weeks going to test on my engine first there is a discussion and a few pics and video on fb page cadillac 472-500 page