Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Gus And His Model Garage

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. swimeasy

swimeasy

I dig Gus! Gus is cool!

3. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Those are cool stories, I'll have to save the link and read one once in a while.:)

4. retro54

retro54
    from PA

Quite possibly the coolest site I've seen in a while.. maybe this exposure will shed some more light unto the untold story behind the character of Gus Wilson!

5. krooser

krooser

Gus Wilson was required reading in my bedroom....

That's quite a list of stories... I have read maybe 50... wow.

6. seatex

seatex

saved to faves, thanks, Ryan, you're gonna' get me canned!

7. KCTA Chris

KCTA Chris

Credit goes to Kurt_in_NJ on the Ford Barn.
    When one of our fellow "A"s needed help with poor headlights, he remembered Gus's quick thinking and tech tips to save the day.

Great stories.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
  8. I grew up reading Gus too...

9. Big T

Big T
    from Florida

Very cool stories... I do find it odd when they refer to someone else's car or their own as a 'bus'. i.e. I'll drive this bus or I don't want to spend the money to fix that bus", etc.

10. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

Uh Oh! I'm not going to get much accomplished at work today! Good thing I'm in the new car business as a sales manager and the first day of the month is always slow!

11. Bigjake

Bigjake

You're what I call a 'throttle hopper,' a driver who takes a lot of pleasure in stepping on it to see how fast the car will pick up.

12. Zerk

Zerk

I couldn't be happier to see Gus' Model Garage on page one. Way to go, Ryan! Way to go, Mike H.!

13. Harms Way

Harms Way

Great stuff !

14. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Wow, I started reading "GUS" in the mid fiftys, by its end it was about the only thing of interest in Popular Science..Never knew the series had started long before, it will be some fun reading..I still remember some of the stories; the town tightwade [Wealthy too] Silas? Later years had a helper, Stan? Thanks Ryan..

Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
  15. snaptwo

snaptwo

I looked forward to each new issue to see what problem Gus could solve. It was like the Saturday matinee/serial at the old Huntrige theatre. Thanks for the memory !!

16. Gus is a HAMBER FO SHO

17. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Best feature popular Science ever had , along with the Wilbur Shaw test drives. Gus had infinite patience with bot the town skinflint, Silas Barnstable, and the shop helper, Stan Hicks. Couldn't wait, for the next issue to arrive !!!
    4TTRUK

18. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

Man! Way rad! Thanks Ryan!!!

19. Gunpilot

Gunpilot
    from Tennessee

Man, The art work on that page is awesome too. Perfect blend of story and story board. Makes one wish to be there.

20. KCTA Chris

KCTA Chris

Agreed.

Attached Files:

21. I love this page ! great reading

22. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

I have a huge collection of Popular Science magazines, mainly for the Model Garage stories. I always liked the writing, as well as the handy tips and the illustrations. Another handy link is to Google Books, they have every single issue of Popular Science available online, all the way back to 1870 (Model Garage stories didn't start until the late 1920s, I think): http://books.google.com/books?id=iigDAAAAMBAJ&source=gbs_summary_r&cad=0_0#all_issues_anchor

They also have Popular Mechanics, back to 1905: http://books.google.com/books?id=Nt...sues_r&cad=2_2&atm_aiy=1930#all_issues_anchor

23. Old&Low

Old&Low

One of the first old Fords I bought (a '37 Tudor I got in High School) had a copy of Popular Science laying on the back seat, circa 1937 no less. From that time on I was hooked, and snagged every 30's Pop' Science and Pop' Mech I could find in old attics, etc. It's great to see those stories all in one place.

24. phat rat

phat rat

I always liked reading about Old Gus and how he figured thigs out

25. enfieldjoe

enfieldjoe
    from Eustis, FL

Thanks Ryan for sharing. This was my first time reading about "Gus". It never ceases to amaze me just how interesting life was back in those simpler days. Without your effort, I would never had this reading experience.

This is a great website (Jalopy Journal) for everything posted and all the contributors. You dedication to keeping the material on this website "fresh" is inspiring and I am grateful for your effort! Many Thanks!!

26. My Grandfather turned me on to some really cool stuff in my life....but this is the bomb! He probably hid these from me knowing him. lol goodstuff

27. Labold

Labold

This will be more than enough to keep me occupied for a while.

28. rbantique

rbantique
    from maine

What a great link for a rainy day ! ...a few favorites

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011