Register now to get rid of these ads!

235 chevy help....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sledbuilder, Aug 31, 2011.

1. sledbuilder

sledbuilder

ok, my 235 was running mint! then all of a sudden it started back firing bad..
    I brought it home.. wont start... I tried new point/condensor/cap/rotar and even a new coil and i have spark... carb is getting gas.. so i just did a compression test.
    starting at the fan going back to the firewall here is the numbers
    is that close? its a babbit 235... doesnt burn any oil.

I also checked the timing gears they were metal replacements(older) but the timing marks lined up.. and i also set the distributor facing the #1 cylinder(closest to the fan) with the timing marks lined up... did i miss something or is the compression too low?
    thanks, jason

2. ol55

ol55
    from Virginia

(I'm no pro) gas at the spark plug (wet plugs)? running a fuel filter? junk in the carb?

Larry

3. sledbuilder

sledbuilder

carb is good, plugs damp... im hoping its something simple but i think the compression numbers seem a little low...

4. Rockit53

Rockit53
    from Berwyn, IL
    1. 37-38 Chevys

It's kind of a dumb question, but did you check to see that your distributor isn't loose? When I had the 235 in my '53 I had a similar situation and I found the distributor loose. Good Luck!

5. sledbuilder

sledbuilder

yeah, i had it out to reset the timing and i made sure everything was nice and tight.

6. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

If plugs are damp REPLACE them ,good chance they are fouled. May look OK but will short out under compression.

7. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

I had the same prob. I couldent figure out what it was. Mind you this was on a 454. I was losing oil pressure and it was running like crap. turns out the shaft between the distributar and the oil pump twisted. Just sayen maybe its something along the lines of that.

8. heatmiser

heatmiser
    from mia

had a similar thing happen on a later 235... chased it for a week.... since there is no stop on the distributor, only a slight groove for the collar to set into, it is possible for the dist. to slide down too far (almost unnoticeable), and you will never get it timed close enough to run right, and possibly not even start... definitely something to check... your compression reads a bit lower than mine(120-130), but should still run pretty good.... also check for any vacuum leaks

9. Grommet

Grommet
    from South GA

10. sledbuilder

sledbuilder

hey guy's, thanks for all the ideas. i actually got it running last night and its running great. basically operator error.....had the distributor set wrong... it wasnt 180 deg but was pointing at #1 cylinder on the block instead of on the cap. oh well at least i fixed it and learned the proper way to find tdc and set the distr.