Register now to get rid of these ads!

United Plating in CA - **DO NOT USE**

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nailheadroadster, Jun 5, 2011.

1. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

One post, came here to say this... hmmm... sorry but I think this is a shill post.

2. Tigerdriver1

Tigerdriver1
    from oklahoma

I know this sounds stupid ZMAN, but I was that stupid to pay in advance and give him my old bumpers (that are hard to find) and meet him on the side of the road and do buisness with a company 900 miles away whose only means of contact was a drop box and a phone number that was seldom answered. I am amazed it worked out for me, things usually don't. I won't do it again.

3. Capitan Insano

Capitan Insano

if you want plating in LA area go to Astro plating in Van Nuys. Jesse has been there for years and does a good job.

4. badshifter

badshifter

To balance things out, I've had HORRIBLE work done by ASTRO. Here's a tip, if your parts are wrapped in newspaper, open it before you pay. Or you'll be like me, paying for a pile of chrome-ish lumps of that used to be my parts.
    And I have used Juan in the past before I knew his rep. He picks up and delivers to several shops in our area, and most likely has to keep a good rep. with the shops to keep getting business.

5. There is a shop here in Phoenix called GTI that have done business with if I need somethings done quick and I have not had issues. The other shop that I would recommend to anyone in the Long Beach area is Gil's Plating on Anaheim street south of the Long Beach freeway I have done business with them over 23 years and very happy with their work. They due such great work and the price is not an issue that I have driven from Tempe AZ to Long Beach Calif for them to do my chrome worth the drive.

Frenchy

6. UnitedPlating

UnitedPlating

To nailheadroadster, we are replying to your lies. We plated the bumpers and upper rails and replaced bullets that you provided ( which were rusted through). You never allowed us the time to restore the diecast items the were extremely pitted. There fore we returned those items and you never paid us the remaining balance for those items. Your lack of knowlodge of having die cast plated as well as your poor attitude, was the reason we returned your items and refused to do any more business with you. Your complaint on this website is an example of a person who just wishes to cause harm , like a child or coward. If you had any real grounds you can all ways place a law suit. But since you don't and you know very well you can't, you attack us with false accusations. Get your facts straight and understand that pot metal and die cast takes time to restore sometime more than 6. - 8 months. Learn and understand that your project was not only a plating job , but it was a restoration job , your parts were extremely pitted and and in poor condition.

7. swissmike

swissmike

Can somebody tell me what process takes more than 8 months when restoring pot metal pieces? Please enlighten me...

8. alchemy

alchemy

The part needs to "ferment" on the shelf.

9. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Frenchy--- FYI

Gils Long Beach Plateing / Cal Bumper are no longer in business
    Went to Steves plateing in Burbank because he had 12ft tanks to do a steering rod that was 11ft long.

10. Graham-Cracker

Graham-Cracker

DONT DEAL WITH Juan & David Tremino . I had several bumpers & money stolen by them. The Missouri Atturney General Has several cases against them. They ROBBED several people at the Springfield Mo. swap meet. They have operated as GOT CHROME , BUMPERS & GRILLS and many others. RUN THESE GUYS ARE BIG CROOKS.

11. Willy301

Willy301

Nailhead, if no one has sent you info yet, I deal with Advanced Custom Chrome, they are in Erie, PA but I have been to their shop and got to tour the whole process. Chris Waldermarson owns it and he is a very detail oriented business man.

12. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

It depends what you want, my daily dariver a 49 Merc sled needed bumpers and it was between Todd LiBrandi's Plating at the Air Port in Middletown , PA ( I don't know who Percino's is ? And please understand Todd has done lots of excellent plating for me, on other parts and projects, he's the best around IMO ) and Bumper Boys for the Sled, a driver.
    It was also a difference of over $ 1,000.00 per bumper.
    Did I need Todds quality and workmanship for my beater, nope, went with the "boyz" on this one , even saved shipping money by picking them up at Hershey.
    It depends on what your going to do with it.

13. PRIMERDAVE

PRIMERDAVE

well I won't bad mouth anyone but if your looking for good chrome in the Bay Area....in California that is....I've always used Superior Chrome in San Jose...they have been in Bussines for over fourty years in the same location...and yes they do all their work in house...from A to Z...408-947-7781

14. J's on squares

J's on squares

Jon Wright's Custom Chrome Plating in Grafton Ohio is the best chrome shop in the country, fact.

15. bill s preston esq

bill s preston esq

[​IMG]

16. UnitedPlating

UnitedPlating

It seems there is a lot of confusion in the world of plating, so I do not mind addressing any questions about anything you all wish to ask. It is easy to clear up. Please feel free to call me about any problems you have with our company , please make sure you have an invoice number and I can help you directly. As for the other company that you have associated me with , please contact me I will gladly put you on a three way line with Juan jose Treminio and you can make sure I will show any and everyone that we are not the same company. As for pot metal taking for ever to do , it all depends on the condition of said item. I welcome you to ask any company out there that restores pot metal or die cast , to explain the process and time. There is a huge difference in plating compared to restoration. Again my number is 626-363-5145. I put my number on, now I wait for your calls. It is easy to post lies and bs , and now ask you to call and tell me man to man what your issues are....

17. Thanks for the heads up I was not aware they were closed.

Frenchy

18. Wow, 6-8 months to restore pot metal parts.... I know they made stainless steel bodies for cars, but I didn't know they must have made one entirely out of pot metal too.

19. swissmike

swissmike

I'm sure after all the posts here they will have to hire a call center to handle all the new orders.

20. evilhorde

evilhorde

Well, what I generally do is:
    1. chemically remove any paint or glue or whatever,
    2. electrically remove as much of the original plating as possible,
    3. mechanically clean whatever smut is left over from the stripping process,
    4. Polish piece,
    5. buff piece,
    6. copper plate said piece,
    7. fill large pits with low temp solder,
    8. polish, buff, copper,
    9. fill smaller pits and drill out any tiny pits up to 'smaller' size,
    10. polish, buff, copper.
    repeat steps 3-10 as many times as required
    11. Nickel plate,
    12. Chromium plate,
    13. Bob's yer uncle.

It does take time, but aside from "the massive work load ahead of you", and "The part needs to 'ferment' on the shelf", there is no reason I can think of why it would take 9 months.

Sometimes things do need to ferment on the shelf. It can be a very frustrating process and you don't want to set yourself back by flinging the piece across the room. It's better 'on' the the shelf than 'at' the shelf.

21. swissmike

swissmike

Thanks for the detailed explanation.

22. jay7262

jay7262

Hey, isn't Paul's Chrome Plating in Fla. ?? They have a good rep.

23. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

Nope, Pauls is in Pennsylvania, near Pittsburgh. Everything they did for me was fantastic.

24. tallulahcb

tallulahcb

I had the SAME EXPERIENCE as this user. David seemed very polite at first on the phone but when I asked (very nicely) about the delivery on a bumper and headlight doors that my father sent to him to be rechromed he got very defensive. And when I told him that they hadn't returned my father's phone calls over the course of 3 weeks he used "polite language" but was very sarcastic and nasty underneath. When I wanted tracking numbers so we could find the bumper that he shipped, he then refused to give me any information because he deals with "addresses and that is confidential". I said that's fine. I don't need any addresses, I just need the dates the merchandise was supposedly shipped. And throughout the entire conversation, he continued to act as though I was interrupting HIM when he in fact would not let me talk or clarify any information he was giving me. It was very frustrating. I said that my father was going to call him today and would he be around to take the phone call. He said yes. This happened just a few minutes ago. We'll see if he responds to the calls.

lodaddyo likes this.
  25. McGuireV10

McGuireV10
    from Jax,FL

Hey Juan: About one year has passed since you posted this, and I'm still waiting for the three pieces that make up the rest of the trunk emblem for my Buick. How many years of prep does it take?

26. tatersalad

tatersalad
    from fl

WHAT EVER YOU DO DO NOT USE THESE THEIVES they will take youre money and feed you lies if you value your money and parts you will find another plater

27. spike427

spike427
    BANNED
    from Kentucky

Why would anyone reading this not think these THIEFS wouldn't do it to them?Do some think they are special or what?All con artists that are con artists have been so from day one as you don't just wake up one day and go I'm going to be a con artist today.Best thing could happen to these PUNKS is someone cap their ass and make the world alittle better place!

28. 64 F100

64 F100
    from Illinois

I've been waiting for the return of my 64 Galaxie rear bumper from these people for several months. Untill recently , they would return my calls. I called them because I was reffered becuase they supposedly did good work. I paid 200 for the bumper and they asked for 780$ up front so I sent it to them. That was over 6 months ago. I recently saw a replated bumper on Craigslist Inlandempire , in CA. emailed the guy, and found ouit it was United plating. If you are missing pieces check the Craigslist. I'm out 980$ and nothing to show for it. I will start trying to get the police to do something, perhaps the post office since I sent a check. Or the FEDS since this is interstate fraud. I live in southern Illinois and would like to know when either of these people will be in or near me. Perhaps a baseball bat and a little talk might help the situation.

Rich