Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vacuum wiper motor? How to hook up?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MentalClinic, Aug 27, 2011.

1. MentalClinic

MentalClinic
    from Sweden

Hi guys!

The wipers on my 1951 Chevy Fleetline didnt work when I bought it. If I press the wiperblades all the way down on the window, and then start the car, they jump/moves up 1 inch and stays there. I have searched the forum with no results. Im missing at least 1 hose I think. I would like to see a hose diagram or something like that? But seems impossible to find.

When I turn the wiper knob, nothing happens. The knob is broken/gone so I have to use a grip to turn it. Im not sure how this switches should work, it felt strange. Like the switch was "spring" loaded, I turned it to the max and when I release it snaps back. I can not feel posistions like FIRST or SECOND speed, or ON OFF. Is this normal?

I have 1 hose from the manifold, that goes to the wipermotor on the top. Is tahat correct? I have no more hoses than that! So I guess Im missing some. How many hoses should go to the switch from the motor and should it have any electrics or just hoses/vacuum?

I know 12v wipermotors are better, but I would be cooler to get the stock stuff to work. Im only driving when its sunny anyway. ;)

Thanks for helping out!!!

Here is a picture!

[​IMG]

2. should only have one hose going to it. sounds like it needs to be disassembled and cleaned in the long run you should just change it to electric. can you post a bigger photo?

3. F&J

F&J

Yes the vac line should go through the switch first, then to the wiper motor.

If it has full manifold vac to the wiper, then you need to fix the motor.

Try PB Blaster spray into the vac fitting at the wiper motor, while you work the linkage. That might help if the leather paddle is dried out.

As you move the wiper linkage from fully one side, to full the other way, you should hear a click. That click is the direction switch that makes it go the other way.

4. MentalClinic

MentalClinic
    from Sweden

Okey. The hose in the picture are the one from the manifold. So this is wrong?
    I can see another hosefitting on the wipermotor, (in the top of the picture) what should this hose go to then?? The switch arent connected to anything at the moment. Just trying to get all the hoses right and try if it works, if it dosent work I will take the motor apart and clean it etc. and try again. Help me to get the hoses right first! :)

Last edited: Aug 27, 2011

5. that hose is fine, doesn't the switch work a cable that moves the valve on the motor?

Bob Lowry and samurai mike like this.
  6. MentalClinic

MentalClinic
    from Sweden

No cables! I tryed to take a photo under the dash tonight, on the switch. The switch have 2 hose fittings and no electric cables. Im confused how to mount the hoses now!

[​IMG]

First! To make things clear...WHERE should the hose from the intake manifold go?

It would be fun to get it work again! :)

7. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Motor gets 2 hoses on most later vac wipers, switch will take 3:
    One hose from manifold to vac switch
    2 hoses from switch to vac motor.
    The hoses to the vac motor are generally different sizes to clean up that choice...extra hose applies suction to one side of motor after you turn it off to move it back to park position...then paddle in motor shuts it off at the motor.
    Get a mirror and flashlight and study the motor carefully to see if it takes 2 hoses.

8. MentalClinic

MentalClinic
    from Sweden

Okey, thanks for the help!!

Attached Files:

9. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

The larger hose is the only one needed for wiper operation. Park position is built into the motor. If the car had windshield washer equipment, the 2 small hoses went there. The switch will have a button in the center which should still move, but may be frozen from disuse. The switch cable housing is threaded into the switch & controls the the travel at the motor. Before tearing down the motor, hook it to the manifold with a couple feet of hose - operate the control by hand ... many vacuum motors still run well once lubed. When you pull the motor, notice how much room is allowed for aligning the motor with the transmissions - any binding on the transmissions will cause the problems you're having.

10. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Somebody needs to write a book entitled something like "The Wonderful Age of Vacuum:
    Less than nothing from Coolidge to Eisenhower"
    The stuff Trico came up with rivals anything in the electronic world for mind-boggling improvisation!
    It all goes WAY beyond wipers and past the mighty Electrovac to power accessories of all sorts.
    Think what our lives would be like if Rufus J. Trico had gotten his empire rolling before Edison and Bell came along!

11. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Park is accomplished on these later Tricos BY the second hose. The extra hose goes to a port right through the lid of the motor, not through the back-and-forth valving of the first hose. The extra hose supplies vac after the switch goes off...the suction through one side of the lid pulls the paddle up to that side, then when the paddle hits the slanted port a little ring of gasket material there smothers the park port. It says "Pffft" and everything stops with blades at rest. I believe that second port would provide a fatal leak if not used as well.

12. MentalClinic

MentalClinic
    from Sweden

Thanks for the great answer!! Will try this next time im in the garage. Vacuum is science!! :D

13. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

I'm so retarded that I bought an Edsel dual action rebuilt pump for my FE engine just for the look since my 56 Ford vacuum motor worked. I had to research which port went where.

14. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Strangest add-on perhaps was the Trico Electrovac...it looked about like a fat SW fuel pump. It spliced into the wiper line, and if vac level dropped it switched on an electric vac pump. Separate gadget with electric motor to try to make a vac wiper act more like IT had an electric motor...

ClayMart likes this.
  15. BigBuford

BigBuford

Probably stupid question: but I have a 1950 Styleline Deluxe. The wipers just sort of move an inch or two when activated. It has 2 vacuum ports on the switch (which have a line running from the top port to the bottom port for some reason) and two ports on the wiper motor. There is no washer. The line from the manifold is ran straight to the port on the driver side of the motor. The port on the middle of the motor in the back is not hooked up. What do I need to do? Thanks!

16. First, read this thread from the top. If you still have questions after reading, then post them here.

17. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

This might help...
    wiper1.jpg wiper2.jpg wiper3.jpg

18. Maybe it's just me. But did the collective I.Q. of the HAMB drop just a skosh over the last couple years since the passing of Bruce Lancaster?
    :(

RIP, Mr. Lancaster. And Happy Motoring!
    :rolleyes:

pprather likes this.
  19. BigBuford

BigBuford

Ok I just re-read the whole post again. One guy says only one hose is needed. Another guy says you need both hoses. I’m still confused. My motor and switch both have two vacuum ports. If my switch has a washer button in the middle of it, it is frozen. So do I need both hoses? If so, I guess I need a T? Thank you for any help you can offer!

20. I'd follow post #7.
    Bruce Lancaster was more than very knowledgeable.

Yes, two hoses from dash switch to wiper motor
    One hose from intake manifold to dash switch.

No T connector needed.

Will that work with your setup?

21. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

I sure miss Bruce and all his knowledge.

22. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

If it is the motor specced for vacuum wcreen wash and remote cable op then it'll have 3 ports, the intake at the bottom, connected to nothing, the vacuum in on the left (looking at the wiper arm spindle) and the screen wash take-off which is opened to vacuum when the knob is turned backwards on itself.
    Switched to "off", the arms should draw down to the parked position at the bottom of the screen; on they should wipe about 7/8ths of the full arc of motion, not going fully down each time.

Phil

ClayMart likes this.
  23. AccurateMike

AccurateMike

I have a Chevy vacuum motor on the bench now. It has a pipe that goes to vacuum. There is also a fitting on the body for a hose. Apart, this fitting leads to a chamber, with a filter. It is an intake. If you block it with the motor running, it slows down. The motor parks itself when the switch is moved to park, regardless of the intake. My guess it is for 2 speed function. It was mentioned that the switch has 3 hoses. I think one supplies vacuum from the engine or pump. In low that goes to the pipe and the intake is closed, in high it goes to the pipe and the intake is open. Works like that on the bench. (I don't have a switch, but I fingered it out). The motor definitely parks without the intake port involved. No matter where you stop it, it pulls back to park when the switch is off. When I say switch, I mean the slider on top of the motor. This must be cable operated from the wiper switch. Does it have hoses and a cable ? I'm not a wiper motor historian. I just rebuild them. Mike
    IMG_20220411_232809762.jpg

Last edited: Apr 12, 2022
    Bob Lowry and ClayMart like this.