Register now to get rid of these ads!

Muncie in a 1953 Chevy? Clutch Linkages?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JSanford1974, Aug 30, 2011.

1. JSanford1974

JSanford1974

I have searched, and I still haven't found the answer to my question.

I have a 1953 Chevy 210 with the original 235 3 speed on the column. I'm putting a CE bolt in mustang II, carbed 5.3 LS engine with a 700r4. BUT... I want a manual trans. And the reason I bought the 700R4 was because I was worried about the clutch linkages. And I couldn't find any info on connecting, say a Muncie, to the 5.3. I have came across all the info/part numbers I need to connect the Muncie to the 5.3. So now I need some info on connecting my clutch linkages to the Muncie?

Will the stock linkages work on the Muncie? I've seen 1953-1954 cars with Muncies installed, but there was no info on the connections. Thanks.

2. When I put a 400 SBC, saginaw 4 speed into my old 50 delivery I was faced with the same problem. I had the original clutch/brake pedals in place but no linkage between the two.
    I solved it by going to my local U-pull-it and scrounging all the clutch linkage from a 73-79 F-100 including the pivot balls and their little nylon bushings.
    I welded the pivot-ball mounts on the left frame rail and fab'd one to weld on my lakewood scattershield...you could make up one to bolt to your block or bellhousing. I did use some of the bellhousing bolts to help stabilize the ball mount.
    Measured how much to cut out of the 'Z-bar" and rotated it to get the correct angle for my clutch situation...welded it up, bolted it in place and ZINGO! it all worked perfectly. Never gave me any problems.
    Watch out for going "over center" [too far] with the lilnkage and collapsing the pressure-plate. Cost me a few hours and about 20 bucks in parts. Wish I had a photo of it but I never took one.

3. aaggie

aaggie

It would probably be easier to just go with a small master cylinder and slave cylinder for the clutch. Most of the Chevy blocks already have holes to bolt the slave cylinder up.

4. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Why do you want to put a Muncie behind a 235? That's overkill. Whats next? big fat slicks out back? Just get a 5 speed from a S10 and save the Muncie for a Gasser.

5. AZ 54 BELAIR GUY

AZ 54 BELAIR GUY
    from AZ

Jcmarz if you would have read his problem you might understand what he is talking about. He is putting a 5.3 liter in his car not a 235.

6. How 'bout a hydraulic throwout bearing and a clutch master cylinder? No linkage to design!

7. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

My mistake, Sorry about that. I guess I need new glasses.

8. JSanford1974

JSanford1974

9. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

When I did my 53, I used a hanging Wilwood hydraulic pedal and cylinder. I made a plate to mount a push style slave cylinder near the oil filter on a sbc. the linkage pushed on the stock clutch fork. It worked very well.

10. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

While the Muncie was bolted to some powerful engines, they were far from unbreakable. Driven aggressively enough a 327 could ruin one. That has happened many many times. Even the slightly stronger M22 was on the weak side for some of the engines it was used with. Another factor, the race tires at that time weren't as good as performance street tires are today. Yes, a Muncie should be a fairly heavy duty trans on a stockish six, but I'm 100% sure the trans could be broken by that engine without doing something ridiculous.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  11. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Wilwood master and slave, easy as pie.

12. JSanford1974

JSanford1974

I've been looking at those. They look pretty easy to put in. And they are cheaper than some of the brake/clutch setups made for the car. I may just use them.

13. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

I did have to put a heavier plate of steel on the firewall and run the reservoir through, but I think they make reverse reservoir that you might be able to fill up under the dash if you don't want to see it in the engine cmpt..

14. AZ 54 BELAIR GUY

AZ 54 BELAIR GUY
    from AZ

When you start to install your 5.3 can you post up some pics? I have a 6.0 liter im going to put in my 54 and would like to get a idea how much work is going to be. Thanks

15. JSanford1974

JSanford1974

Yeah, it will be awhile though. I'm still gathering parts. But I'm hoping mine will be a near bolt in for the motor. I had the CE mustang II made with standard 350 motor mounts. With the 1" setback LS1 adapters, the 5.3 should set right down in the engine bay.

I wanted a 6.0, but I got such a good deal on my 2009 5.3 I couldn't pass it up. It has the 799 heads and flat top pistons. Stock it's around 320 hp 340 lbs torq. With the cam and carb intake setup, I should be around 400-425hp. I'll be happy with that.

16. Earnit3

Earnit3

Let me know how those ls adapters work in the engine bay. I'm thinking of the same type build with a t56.

17. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

18. i dont think you could EVER EVER EVER EVER break a m22 rock crusher with a lil six bangar.the m22 came behind BIG BLOCKS. its a stout trans. i mean what else is there??? a 6k jericho?

im curious to what the op used. im looking to build pedals and linkage for a muncie as well

19. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

Yes, the M22 was used with big blocks, and a LOT of them were broken.

What else is there? The Super T-10, Ford toploader, and New Process were/are all stronger than the Muncie. Tremec makes a variety of good units. Some of those are some production pieces, others are aftermarket. Some of those transmissions have very high torque capacities. Without paying cubic money for a Jerico(correct spelling) there are a number of aftermarket options. Some are clean sheets of paper, others are upgraded versions of production transmissions. For example, the Nash/Richmond street 5 speed is stronger than a Muncie. You can even buy a Muncie clone that has stronger parts and a stronger case. If the M22 was unbreakable there wouldn't be any need for a stronger Muncie.

I didn't say a Muncie wasn't appropriate for what the OP was doing. I did say that it's possible to break a Muncie with a 6-cyl engine, you say it isn't, so we disagree.