Register now to get rid of these ads!

Why is a "Unibody" a "uni" "body"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by VectorGES, Aug 30, 2011.

1. VectorGES

VectorGES
    from Conway, SC

Several posts recently about 60's Ford F-100 Unibodies. At first I thought it was like a car unibody, but they have a normal ladder frame. THen I thought a one pece cab-and-bed, but they are normal that way too. What does Unibody mean then?

Thanx

2. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

one piece cab and bedsides.

3. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

The body and the frame are unified ---Not separate pieces bolted together

4. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

yep.^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

5. badshifter

badshifter

6. VectorGES

VectorGES
    from Conway, SC

I need to have my glasses aligned. That isn't a seam between the cab and bed, that is the back of the door. Sorry for the silly question.

7. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

I dig it, like a kustom touch right from the factory!

8. flyboy89

flyboy89
    from So. Cal.

Ford never called it a "unibody". In the service manual for '61-'63 Ford pick-ups it was refered as an "integral box", or model 66. I don't know when "unibody" was used to describe these trucks ,but it's easier to say "unibody" than "integral box".

9. I thought unibody mean "unitzed"... like all the Mustangs, Falcons and Camaros and Novas...

I think the name just caught on with the trucks...

But I think they still have a frame.

Sam

10. rivguy

rivguy

Ford quit offering this type of construction when they found that extreme duty use resulted in warped body panels. This was a result of frame flex.

11. fleet-master

fleet-master

unibody = no separate chassis...closely linked with monocoque. Camaros are partial unibody but have a front sub-frame extending to fore of the rear wheels ,which carries the front susp and engine/trans.

12. The bed and cab are one piece. Yes, they have a frame just like all the other F-100s. The doors are different than the models that have the cabs separate from the bed, however. Sometimes if you have to ask...

13. bryan6902

bryan6902

I always thought 'uni-body' was actually an abbreviation of "unit-body".......

14. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Here's a pic of a ford 'unitized body' pickup. Note bed and cab are one peice.

Attached Files:

• pu.jpg
      pu.jpg
      File size:
      30.1 KB
      Views:
  15. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Despite the truck deal, unibody essentially means no frame. The entire body shell is a welded unit and it is strong enough to attach the suspension and drive train directly to the unibody. Most modern cars you buy at the dealership are built this way. It is a mass produced vehicle that is built like a tubbed race car - with the important stuff bolted on it.

I suspect they are also the reason race cars like those in NASCAR had to go to custom built frames, the factories stopped putting them on new cars! If you build a frame / cage inside a unibody (which is strong) its really great until you wreck it. Then it's expensive and difficult to repair. Gary

16. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I think this is another case of hotrodders giving nick names to cars and trucks that caught on and have become accepted and part of our dictionary right or wrong. These trucks are very distinctive and recognizable but it has nothing to do with an integral frame and body as the original definition intended. Just a hotrodders nick name that everyone understands when mentioned with these year trucks.

17. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

Some people call them uni-body, but technically they aren't.

18. truckrod

truckrod
    from akron,ohio

That is correct! I also think it is the coolest truck ford ever made, but definately not the best truck they ever made

19. chaddilac

chaddilac

The Cab and bed are one piece and YES they have a separate frame. Not Like mustang unibodys!!

20. Lowriders Art Gallery

Lowriders Art Gallery
    from Montana

I still argue, the only reason the truck was developed was because - panel truck sales were in decline, and the tooling was already in production. It would be fairly easy to develop a pickup out of a panel. This would also explain using the 57-60 box on the other 61-63 pickups. Still regret selling my shortbox big window 61 unibody.

21. They are great trucks, but one downfall would be the single layer quarters. So when you throw something in the bed, it puts an outie in the friggin' bedside. They definately weren't meant for anything other than light duty for sure.

22. What the others said. one piece body and bed.

[​IMG]

23. swimeasy

swimeasy

Sometimes the HAMB just over thinks shit!