Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bench Seat Templates

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MissRabbit, Aug 30, 2011.

1. MissRabbit

MissRabbit

Ok, so I am hoping someone may know of a site that will give me the exact dimensions in making a seat cover, or specific templates?? My only other choice is copying an old bench seat cover that is ripped and pretty much useless. Anyone?

2. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

wow, that IS a hard one to search for, and I'm pretty good at lookin' for stuff on the interweeb.

Do you have a bench at all in your Truck? If you do, then pop down to your favorite hated parts/accessory place and grab one of those cheezy aftermarket seat covers. Fit it, pin it, chalk it and then use it to make yourself a pattern...

Just an idea. Your mileage may vary.

3. MissRabbit

MissRabbit

hard one indeed!! Only thing that pops up is the websites for already made seat covers. Arg... or DYI info sites that just well... tell you HOW but no templates. Useless. I could just buy cheap seat covers.. but the seat covers could be off... and it might make it confusing. (im making excuses) Plus im tooling up my own leather... and I need EXACT measurements. No.. hmm well ill just stretch it. lol Ill keep on truckin... no pun inteded

4. bikersteve

bikersteve

Might be just as easy to get some cheap fabric (muslin?) lay it on your seat, pin and cut till your happy with the fit and use that as your pattern....fwiw I know an upholstery guy in wauconda that might be able to help you out....pm me

5. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

^^^ that's what I was thinking with el cheapo del seat cover up there. Pin, cut etc until it fits and make up the template from there. eek. I hates sewing, and my dad was a tailor. sheesh.

6. SixFive

SixFive

You might be hard pressed to find patterns for seats on the internet. Not saying they might not exist somewhere, but I haven't ever come across something like that.
    I think one of the reasons could be each upholsterer has their own way of making a new cover for the seat, different allowances for stitching, different ways of making pleats etc. If you have an original cover that would be your best bet, if it's severely torn the passenger side is usually the best then just flip your pattern for the driver's side.

I have made patterns for custom seats from masking paper or heavy clear plastic, if you are using tooled leather that has no stretch just make sure to add whatever allowance you leave to stitch it together on the pattern.

7. SixFive

SixFive

Just another idea. Not sure how experienced you are with sewing, but you could do a dummy run with some cheap vinyl first. You should be able to get some ugly color for next to nothing and if you are happy with the way it all comes together then you have a pattern for your leather. Plus you get some more experience on the machine.

8. MissRabbit

MissRabbit

That sounds like a great idea! Except ill be using an awl and doin pretty hand stitching with thick leather lace... pretty cool! (dont seal m idea ;) jk... kinda.

9. Fat47

Fat47

So, I may have missed something here, but if you know what the bench seat is out of, you might post a note on the "Wanted" list on the classifieds to see if anyone has an old one they will let you have to use as a pattern.

10. Fat47

Fat47

Follow up. As an example, I have a good cover off a 48 Chevy PU that would make an excellent pattern

11. KrisKustomPaint

KrisKustomPaint

Patterns.... as far as it relates to auto upholstery.... You don't buy 'em you make em yourself. Use some heavy plastic 4mil or better. Spray glue one side, stick it on the seat. Draw out your seams, designs, or what ever. Cut it out. Add 1/2" for seam allowance. Transfer, cut, sew. Sounds easy right? May god have mercy on your soul.

-Kris

Pm me if you need more details or tips.

12. hand stitching a seat cover.Weird I was thinking about doing this last nigth while at work.
    I wanted to do some cool white leather with red thread and hand stitch the whole thing.
    what kind of turck do you have

13. KrisKustomPaint

KrisKustomPaint

One more thing..... Stretching upholstery covers is what separates the good, the bad, and the ugly. Leather no matter how heavy will stretch wonderfully. You just can't do it with heat, like with vinyl, or steam like with cloth. To stretch heavy leather you must soak it in a bucket of warm water. then it will stretch like you wouldn't believe. There is no such thing as exact measurements in upholstery. Things stretch, move, and shift constantly with upholstery. Having good measurements will help fit, but trying to make everything perfect to the 1/32" will drive you totally bat shit crazy, and not particularly help the overall finished product.

14. 40streetrod

40streetrod
    from nj

Miss Rabbit welcome to the Hamb.

Look in the header bar for community, click on it, then click on Social Groups, look for this group (41 pages of social groups)

Upholstery - Pictures - Inspiration - how to - history

Hope this help's and Good Luck

Wayne

15. BigBlockItch57

BigBlockItch57

I've actually been thinking about doing it myself also....my new car a 1961 falcon has a bench seat so i think it will be easier than doing the bucket seat in my thunderbird. Please keep us posted on how it comes out and what you end up actually doing. I plan on attempting to do my whole interior in zebra print and red pleather no leather for me!!! hehe goodluck!!!!!