Register now to get rid of these ads!

My Gasser rant.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MalibuKasey, Aug 29, 2011.

1. 345winder

345winder
    BANNED

there was a 2 lane black top styled 55 for sale in the classifieds for a lil bit,,,like i said "styled",,,but cooler at the same time,, i think it was from teijas,,but couldnt find the thread,,,,i love it,,,

2. 117harv

117harv

gasserjohn, there are alot of HAMB terminology police that will say that's not a straight axle as it has a slight curve to it:cool:

I consider any ride with a solid axle "non A arm" a straight axle.

55"s look good anyway they are done, though i do prefer the lifted look.

Attached Files:

3. Brahm

Brahm

amen! I said this a few years back and got BLASTED! Glad to see i'm not the only one

4. Brahm

Brahm

Gotta disagree, you got out to lemon grove, barona, or any weekly event, cruise ect.. and see a ton of the same style cars it gets played out quickly. Lets be honest the only guys driving there jalopies around sd anyways (anymore at least). Are either kustoms guys on the way to their ink, piercing, or skate shop jobs :) . Muscle car enthusiasts (Woo Santee), or Rat Rodders. You see a few traditional hot rods driving around now and then, and occasional survivor passed down from gramps. SD is a GREAT town for daily drive-ability of any car.. I miss being able to drive my '29, '69 daily..ah well, one day I'll move back.

With that said I've noticed the demographic of people whom are interested in gassers for the most part aren't the daily driving type. If you can afford a tri-5 2 door car and the time/money to mod it this way chances are you can afford not to have it get dented and dinged up parking up at mesa college, or in your works parking lot. (not that I blame them, they aren't really intended for daily driving)

5. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Part of the problem is that I don't like to drive my car anywhere that I have to leave it unattended very long. People steal shit. When I get my Coupe on the road, I'm not going to have it nice enough to worry about dings. I actually don't think anyone will want to park anywhere near it, It's going to look like a Crazy Fuck drives it. lol

6. Brahm

Brahm

Agree'd I wouldn't want to leave any car w/a big dollar moon tank sitting out front just hanging around and a couple quick disconnects or a bad parallel park from being stolen or dented.

7. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

i do what i can to protect my moon tank... but id rather use it on the car than have it set on a shelf getting dusty...whats the point in having some cool parts if the only time anyone ever see it is when they come check out your museum/collection.or when you post pics of it ... the tank can be replaced...so can bumpers,hoods ,fenders and grills..the fun and memories cant be taken......

8. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Sound of a nail being hit squarely and firmly on the head.

9. seventhirteen

seventhirteen
    from dago, ca

I live in Lemon Grove and there is 1 other model A I see maybe a couple times a year driving around town. In 12 years I've never seen a 49-51 merc pull along side my wife outside of a show.

My whole point is to not worry about what is showing up at carshows and just drive your car. Why is it people can only enjoy their cars if they drive them somewhere where people can pat them on the back. Your not cool, your car isn't original, you didn't invent shit, so what, shut up and drive

10. speedyg948

speedyg948

who gives a rats ass what people think, just do what ever makes you happy and enjoy it!

11. Special Ed

Special Ed

Man... that's really kinda sad. :( Not being able to enjoy your car like that would make me either move away, or sell my rides :cool:

12. Chopperman

Chopperman

bahahahahahahahaha.. It is pretty boring stuff.
    [​IMG]

13. Old Buzzard

Old Buzzard

[QUOTE="Whitey Ford" 62 Uni;6903389]Who cares what people call what or what is mainstream or what a show is. I just love riding in my old truck or motorcycle and enjoying the ride. You can call my truck a shit sandwich and I would still enjoy it.

My pecker is too big to worry about things like that.[/QUOTE]

Mine is, too!:D

And this is my "not so gasser" 55....Fast enuf to be fun, smooth enuf to keep my big pecker comfortable:eek:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
  14. Muttley

Muttley

Good question..................in fact I prefer it when people dont like my car, that way they wont want to talk to me about it and waste my time.

15. Brahm

Brahm

Cause we are all to broke to work on our cars, and it's free to talk to shit on the internet ha :)

..and besides I much prefer to have old timers harass me at gas stations to feel how cool I am then enter in car shows.. "Why I used to have a 1939 Chevy Mustang Camino just like that with the rumble seat in the back and everything"..

ah well off to the skate park, speaking of which when are you going come up here to Mammoth and skate. We've got the best concrete park in SoCal! (edit technically norcal..but it feels like socal here)

16. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I'm sorry, what was the question again?

17. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

Hahahaha, very funny, so with you on that. That comment will have me smiling for days.

Brillaint!

18. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

How should I build my car that won't make it look like a gasser,drag car ,street rod blah,blah,blah

19. Its obvious that gassers suck!:rolleyes:

20. russd

russd

we took the "gasser" out last night, someone asked me, when stopped at a light if it went up and down. most people don't know what they are looking at much less talking about.

21. hotroddonnie

hotroddonnie

Thats it! I've changed my mind, I'm going to finish my gasser, and shes gonna be the best gasser my neighbour ever heard!

22. Chopperman

Chopperman

I get that all the time... Oh man, that thing has hydraulics:eek:

23. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

thats awesome!!!!!!

24. rosco gordy

rosco gordy

a fuckin men green mon 48 I,m 60 and every thing looks the same and then now it,s new uncharted..................fuck been there done that theres a groupe of young guys running one of my old gassers I built 20 years ago and you would think it some thing new oh well thats just the way it is hey there havin fun and I guess i should have kept it just part of the deal

25. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Tell them those are chrome fenderwell headers not chrome wheel wells ;).

26. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

This may or may not be what you are looking for, but I pulled some shots from other threads that represent the kinds of "boy racer" cars I remember seeing in Northern Illinois in the early 60's. Drag racing was the rage and the "look" not sleds or stuff on the indoor car circuit / magazines. Sure, they had the wow factor, but they were just SO gaudy. These drag orientated cars were getting higher and jacked in the front for tire clearance and that mysterious (and wrong?) concept of weight transfer, like the drag racing cars in the stock and gasser classes had. White walls were dead, not cool, old man tires. A very, very few street driven cars had straight axles. But some had worked motors, hood scoops, xl shackles on the rear leafs, dumps behind the front wheels, and dual exhaust / glass packs.

But one fellow in high school had a 56 Nomad with raised suspenion, ladder bars, large tube rear bumper, I-beam, FOMOCO teardrop on a glass front end and often slicks! And he drove it to school. A serious wanna be racer guy. It looked very much like one of the cars in the pix I posted here. It was a metalic green, had green tinted windows and some sort of funny fur / shag interior. It was insane.

But most cars just were jacked up a little, usually nose high, and had some sort of custom wheels (as big as would fit in the back without modifying the wheel wells), dual exhaust, etc. They were mostly stock cars with an obvious straight-line influence. I do remember long lakes pipes on some, but don't remember any super low cars, sleds or even mild customs. Even rear skirts were dead, all that custom stuff. I guess it was sort of a transition time, regular folks didn't have the bucks or brains to build show cars or race like those in the big time. California had not yet arrived in the midwest, I guess, so we must have skipped a trend or two. If you had a good job, or you were lucky and dad handed you down his old car, you had a cool hard top with a V8 and it was fixed up a little for crusin. The rest of us dummies had 4 door Desotos or something equally un cool. Then came the vans and port holes! Murals! And Vietnam. Gads. Gary

Attached Files:

27. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

It is in fact just you.

A retarded label like rat rod isn’t worthy of even being mentioned in the same breath as gasser.

28. Hopefully by the time the Corvair is done the "straight axle gasser" fad will be dead. But mine is really an altered. Or a street freak. Those will probably be the new trends by then. Maybe I should take it in a pro street direction and get a nose ring. I need a beer and some pain pills.

29. acadian_carguy

acadian_carguy

[QUOTE="Whitey Ford" 62 Uni;6903389]Who cares what people call what or what is mainstream or what a show is. I just love riding in my old truck or motorcycle and enjoying the ride. You can call my truck a shit sandwich and I would still enjoy it.

My pecker is too big to worry about things like that.[/QUOTE]

This is my favorite post in this thread. Totally agree! I get everything said about my Acadian wagon, from put in a SBC, big block, Pro Street it, make a gasser, to... you should have got a 2-door.

I just enjoy...and "My pecker is too big to worry about things like that" :)

30. spikeshotrods

spikeshotrods

Here's a few pics of mine.
    May not be the most "Correct" "Gasser" but I built it to be a nice driver, yet still look the part. It runs 11.65 @ 112 Mph and will run down the freeway at 75 mph @ 2300 RPM - Powered by: Olds 455 with a 200R4 trans - gear3.73
    One other thing I don't have to worry about is ground clearance :D

I realize what your saying though about peoples comments, "you should build it as a "Gasser" thinking that all they need to do is, straight axle and fenderwell headers and your good to go. And I agree that there are a lot of cobbled together messes out there unfortunatly.

But I also think a lot of guys that build them these days just want see what it was like to drive a car like that.

I remember quite a few cars with straight axles (55 Nomad - 57 Fairlane - 53 Ford Sedan) running around in my neighborhood when I was a kid cruzing my Schwinn Stingray in the early 70's

I'm very happy with the one I built.

Attached Files: