Register now to get rid of these ads!

Roof for 30 Plymouth Coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chiropaul, Aug 30, 2011.

1. chiropaul

chiropaul
    from Merced, CA

Hey everyone,
    I am getting closer to finishing up my 30 Plymouth 3 window Coupe, but the one thing I have not been able to tackle so far is finishing the roof on this car. When I bought it, there had been an interior fire and I'm assuming that is how the original roof got destroyed. There is still a rear roof section, but everything from the doors forward is GONE.

What would you suggest I do to get the roof done?? I have no clue how to do sheet metal work, so I'd have to hire out for this one. I'm just afraid of the contours looking stupid and uneven when it is all done. We already went to Pick n Pull and a couple other places, got 2 different roofs and even a ford truck hood to cut up use but so far our efforts have failed.

Does anyone know a good place to source the pieces I need? Does anyone have a rusting 30 Plymouth coupe they want to sell me real cheap so I can use the roof section??

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR HELP!!!!!

Attached Files:

2. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

not 100% sure, but I believe it was a wood and composit fabric deal. The piece above the sun shade is a shaped wood piece, as are the pieces ocer the door.

Then some cross bars and something similar to the Ford Chicken wire cloth and treated canvas deal.

Would be easier to build at home than a full metal jacket.

Also I believe your car might be a 29 as in 30 they went to all steel bodies.

this is a 29

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the colors of the sedan make it a bit easier to see

[​IMG]

Plus the 30 coupe had an oval rear window

[​IMG]

3. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

those side peices would be very simple to make from flat sheet bent over a 2" pipe. then I'd figure out how to build the center with wood and vinyl like original.

what was wrong with the other roofs you got from the junkyard?

4. luckypots

luckypots
    from Easley, SC

Have you tryed Walden Speed Shop, they have a website and he makes prefitted roof inserts for all kinds of early 30's cars.

5. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY