Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tri-5 Chevys in the timber (in Iowa)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by carmak, Aug 30, 2011.

1. carmak

carmak

I have a lead and pictures of some Tri-5 Chevys sitting in a timber. I did not take the pictures and I have not seen the cars yet in person.

I have an chance to make an offer on these cars (as a lot) when I go look at them so I need to know what to look for and what to avoid. I am bidding against scrapers and scrap is high right now.

Is there any demand for used parts when repo stuff is available?

I personally have never had a car popular enough to have repo parts available so this is new ground for me.

Thanks.
    Carmak

Attached Files:

2. carmak

carmak

More pics

Attached Files:

3. Squablow

Squablow

Somebody will want to build that '55 2 door post, and if it's got the front seat in it, that'll sell for big money, although it'd be nice to keep it with the car. The 4 doors could be parted out.

Yes they'll part out and for good money, but the stuff that would bring big cash on other cars won't on these cars, you just have to know what to save. Cut the dashboards out in one piece, get $250 for them if they're not hacked up. The 4 door Belair side window surround trims bring decent money, but the side trim doesn't bring much. Things that are station wagon specific are really good, stuff like hood ornaments and tail lights generally aren't worth shit since new ones are so cheap.

Plan it out right and you could definitely make some money on that stuff. If the scrappers are offering $300-$400 per car, you could easily pay $400-$500 each and make out really well, and I'm sure the sellers just want the most money.

4. snaptwo

snaptwo

Be aware that '56 sheetmetal is not that easy to find , so any decent fenders,hoods,core supports and gravel pans ,bumpers. The '56 is the "redheaded stepchild" of the trifives when it comes to repop stuff. Happy hunting !!

5. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Yeah, I would even think you could pay a smaller fee to pick them over and let the scrappers fight to get them out of there. I would grab the dashboards, seats, stainless, trunk lids, and a few other things at a minimum. Pulling them out yourself intact and then totally parting them would definitely rate maximum dollars. Cool pics to see none the less.

6. igby

igby

56 fender wells look nice on a 55!

7. repo stuff doesnt fit like the OEM stuff id say it all has some value

allthough im waiting for the new repo bodies to make the originals come down in price soo maybe i could finnally afford to buy and build one

8. Around here they're worth $600 a shot over the scale. I sold a so-so '57 grille bar for $40 after seeing they repop those for around $100, an original with decent chrome should bring close to that pretty easy. I think you could sell enough to break even pretty easily, make the 55 2-door into a project for someone, and scrap the carcasses of the rest for a decent profit.