Register now to get rid of these ads!

What box for right hand drive cross-over?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RADustin, Aug 28, 2011.

1. RADustin

RADustin
    from Louisiana

What options do I have to run right hand drive with cross over steering in my model A?

I was thinking a stock, unreversed corvair box would work but I worry about the weight of the caddy 346 Im putting in it. So are there any other options that will allow me to steer that heavy ass engine from the right side?

2. TERPU

TERPU

Hey Man the French even drive on the left. Just kidding the easiest way is to find a real RHD box out of a RHD car. There's lots of them from Argentina and most of us just put 'em in the corner as a cool oddity.

Tim

3. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

The best box I can think of is to use a 1964 Chevy C10 pickup item as it is mounted on the outer side of a chevy chassis rail which will allow it to be easily installed onto the correct side and location of a model A chassis for cross steering.

If you need some pic's drop me a PM and an email address and I'll see if I can find some in my pic's folder.
    Russ.

4. RADustin

RADustin
    from Louisiana

Im thinking of going with a US mail paint job. lol

keep the ideas coming, I want as many options as possible so when I get the rails and engine laid out I can make the best choice. Unless there is a certain box out there that is so great I must work around it!

Thanks guys.

5. flatoz

flatoz

6. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

7. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

8. rednek

rednek
    from Daisy,OK

I was thinking a mail jeep box might work. I have read in 4X4 mag that you can put chevy car power boxes on jeeps.

9. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Most Saginaw boxes should bolt up? I've never seen P/S on a model A before. If the local GM box is used in RHD guise on inside of rail, it will be close to fuel pump area on SBC. Then you need RHD steering arms to suit you application. I've seen smaller RHD Nissan boxes used as well as manual Holden Camira R&P (Similar to Cadillac Cimarron) with centre steering work well on 'I' beam front ends, no bump steer. They only need mounting bosses to attach to underside of rails and a plate to bolt steering arms to.

10. RHD vega steering boxes are now available in Australia. Should be able to get them in US. Price is pretty good too.

11. rednek

rednek
    from Daisy,OK

I was refering to the 4x4 mag converting a jeep to P/S. The RHD mail jeep should be manual and simular in size to the GM car box.

12. RADustin

RADustin
    from Louisiana

some good ideas in here, thanks guys. I dont want power steering. And Im not running a SBC or a mech. fuel pump.

my brother is into late model minis, and he showed me a early 90's toyota truck box. If I use a LHD box on the inside of the RH rail, it seems small enough to work. Input on the top, output off the bottom with an average length pitman.

Is running toyota parts on a model a nono?

13. fordor41

fordor41

See if you can an old US Postal Jeep. They were R.H. steer and used Saginaw steering gears, the same style used in mid sized GMs in the 70-80's. Most I've seen were Jeeps.