Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Rides built expressly for road tripping?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CG, Aug 28, 2011.

1. So I got together with one of my buds that usually goes to Bonneville with me. We have been talking about coming up with a ride that would comfortably(ish) carry six of us to Speed Week every year. Something all of us would build together.

We used to drive my Astro van, which was perfect, but we want something Bonneville cool (new term lol). Then I asked here on the board how much room in a 58 Ford wagon. I have one that's torn down to nothing. Sounds like 6 would fit, but might be a touch crowded.

I also have a 69 Chev panel that I could put extra seats in, but it might get claustrophobic with no rear windows. And along the same lines, I have a line on a 72 three seat burb that would do the trick, but I would prefer an older ride.

I was checking Craigslist tonight and saw a 41 Plymouth four door sedan. Ive never looked inside one of those big sedans. Can anyone tell me how much room is one of those things?

Or if anyone has a suggestion for some big ol sedan that would be semi cool to put together for the express purpose of driving 6 guys 1700 miles round trip to Bonneville and back home, Id love to hear your suggestions.

Mark

2. squirrel

squirrel

You want 3 rows of seats.....

3. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

4. modeleh

modeleh

sounds like you need to find the 9 passenger version of the '58 Edsel Bermuda wagon. and I guess moon discs would make it Bonneville cool?

5. Hambone64

Hambone64

Buy a 58 Caddy Hearse. Buff the black til it gets shiny again. Run through the motor with Seafoam. Fix the brakes. Add well padded jumpseats, and tack weld arm rests with ample room to move. Shoddily rig a 50's vintage black and white TV (Or a new TV hidden inside the frame of an old one) to a hidden DVD player and watch every season of The Munsters on the way there drinking Coke from bottles and throwing down boxes of donuts. Oh, and glue a Frankenstein bobblehead doll to the dash.

6. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Do the 69 Panel, I can hear it now from the four in the back that can't see. "Our we there yet" :D

7. gas pumper

gas pumper

Add the back of the panel to the burb. Stretch the chassis to eliminate the wheelwells in the burb.

You need the room to carry stuff.

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Personally I'd go with the 72 Burb and put late model seats in it. Not quite Hamb material but simple and easy to build and dead nuts reliable. Drop it a bit and put a push board on the front and you can be another wannabe trying to look the part and you won't even have to paint a number on the side.

9. Hambone64

Hambone64

10. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

11. daddio211

daddio211

How about a '48 - '59 Suburban?

12. So those 40's sedans look big from the outside but its mostly leg room. Hearse is out, I dont think any of the guys would go for one of those.

I have to agree on needing three rows. I wonder if 58 Ford wagons had a version that came with three rows? That way all I would have to do is source a third seat...rear facing I guess?

We are going to put together a pick up box trailer with a canopy to carry our stuff.

13. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

the desoto is a 9 passanger extended wheelbase deal.

14. Actually I did want to be a "wanna be" with the panel some day. I dont have the mechanical skills to build a race car so I thought it would be fun to be able to use it as a push truck at the flats some day.

That Desoto is very cool. I bet it goes for large dollars.

Thanks for the ideas so far. (And the Bonneville cool remark was kind of tongue in cheek)

15. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

There was a Dodge version of the Desoto limo (I think they were rated as 8 or 9 passenger cars) around this area a couple years ago the guy was trying to get a couple grand out of. Complete running car only needing an update.

You could always mount your ford wagon on the burb chassis and extend the roof and add another set of doors. That would haul all of you and all your stuff and would be pretty cool as well. Gene

16. LN7 Nut has the ultimate "Road Trip" project. that needs to be built.:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

17. Deuces

Deuces

How about a '68-'72 Olds Vista Cruiser wagon??? :D:)

18. sugar free shawn

sugar free shawn
    from whorelando

van all the way! cut some "port holes" in the panel, or find a nice windowed early.. this is my 65 short wheel base g10, i'd drive it anywhere.

[​IMG]

19. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Other than an old Suburban, I like the airport maxi-taxi, stretched limo idea, gone a little Beverly Hillybilly for RV-ing. Roof platform with ez-up? Or... a modified, vintage "short" bus of some sort? A vintage tourist bus, ala National Park Service? An old short RV? Gary

PS How about a 3 seat, stretched T tub and a "spectator friendly" trailer?

Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
  20. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

Find an old school bus and........

Attached Files:

21. Ive had a few really cool ideas via PM. Too bad shipping is so expensive. I did talk to a local guy that think he knows where two 3 seat 58 wagons are. He is going to check it out this weekend.

I talked to another guy that has a line on an econoline. Its the one with all the windows and is a little bit longer (room for three seats).

Just have to wait and see how this stuff pans out, and keep checking craigslist.

22. Cool ideas! I am looking into haulers for the Lakester. Reality says rent a Box Van, so does the pocketbook!

23. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

I did talk to a local guy that think he knows where two 3 seat 58 wagons are.

Buy the 58 wagons and you and your buds build an old style 8 door airport limo ala Armbruster/Stageway.
    Use an RV couch for the very rear seat; you'll be able to fold it down into a bed. A driver coming out from behind the wheel can stretch out and take a snooze.

Attached Files: