Register now to get rid of these ads!

Gasoline Stabilizer for Winter Storage...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mitchell de Moor, Aug 28, 2011.

1. Going to be storing my 1956 Ford Customline tomorrow. I bought some AMSOIL Gasoline Stabilizer from a speed shop and the guy told me to put it in when the tank is full. I have heard from other people to put it in when the tank is almost empty. Also I don`t know what size tank I have and it says to add one ounce for each 2.5 gallons. The previouse owner put the gas tank in the vehicle and I am not sure what size it is. Would there be a simple way of finding out. I have to have this all done tomorrow morning and then leave the car and go six houres away. Thanks guys!

2. dbradley

dbradley

Just dump it in and fill the tank. Drive a little to get the carb full of the mix. Store away. Don't overthink how many gallons you have.

3. Length x width x height. Then find a calculation for cubic inches to gallons. But ya you might be over thinking how many gallons...a good guestimate should be fine. I think Stabil is supposed to be used in a full tank too.

4. Bucket of T

Bucket of T

^^^ what he said. But I don't know about filling the tank all the way. IMO it would be better to put like 5 gallons in and put some of the stabilizer in, then when you pull it out of storage fill it up.

5. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

Sea Foam one I use the stuff year around

6. brad chevy

brad chevy

If it is a 16 ounce bottle dump it in with a full tank and like said drive the car 5 -10 miles to make sure you get in in all of the system. This new gas with the ethnol just turns to jelly like shit .

7. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

just looked at a bottle of sta-bil today.struk-ions said you can't put to much in. but that really dosen't help you does it. like above,i would fill the tank,put stablizer in it,let er go. then when you get it out next spring buy a bottle of sea foam and put it in before staring the 1st time, sea-foam is a wonderful thing. jmo

8. yekoms

yekoms

There are 231 cubic inches in a gallon. I figure that a full tank will not build up as much condensation as an emptier one. Less air in the tank for the moisture to build up. Temperature changes and an open vent cause the condensation in the tank. This 10% ethenol crap holds the moisture.
    Smokey
    edit...
    Run it so the treatment gets into the carb also.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
  9. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Word! :cool:

10. If you using sta-bil get the marine grade (blue in color). Cheaper & better than the red. Mix the sta-bil with marvel mystery oil as per instructions run it thru the system & park the car. Next time you go to use it it will fire right off providing all is in working order. Been doin this for quite a number of years also works great on mowers,tractors,or any engine that uses gas. I run it all year long in all my cars.

11. 61falcon

61falcon

your supposed to fill the tank. a full tank has less room for moiture to form. if your storing a car for a loooooong time, then drain all the fuel including the carb. but for winter hibernation, just fill the tank and add some sabalizer if you feel the need. i have been storing my car in my unheated garage for the last 15 winters and all i do is fill the tank and put my charger on the battery. keep the battery up and run the car once a month letting it reach operating temp havent had any issues doing it this way. every spring the gas in the tank is 4-5 months old and the car runs just fine and i dont use any stabalizer.

12. thebronc4019

thebronc4019
    from New Jersey

Sir, with all due respect, WHO PUTS THEIR CAR AWAY FOR THE WINTER BEFORE THE SUMMER IS EVEN OVER! Just asking?

13. X2 and X3 for the nod to Sea foam.

14. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

I wondered that as well, but he mentioned in another post he's going off to school for the year and the car will be parked.

15. interstatemaster

interstatemaster

Sea Foam is my choice for 20+ years.

16. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

Dont listen to this guy. This new gas is so bad sea foam in all my stuff its all i use

17. Fill the tank
    the less room for moisture the better it is
    if you can not calculate look at a 5 gallon can and estamate
    i have had more than what is called for no problem
    make sure you run it so carb is full as stated before
    most times my generator sits about a year and always starts

18. ol55

ol55
    from Virginia

I have used both. If you use stabil, make sure it is not old or has flakes in it.

Larry

19. our newer fuel does not have a stabelizer in it any more
    they have taken the topend lube out also
    i add 1oz of fully synthetic outboard oil per 5 gal of gas it does not seperate out
    i prefer Amsoil

20. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oxygen is your enemy (you know what rust is don't you?). You have to mnimize the amount of air in the the gas tank to minimize the oxidation. Here's what I do : Fill the tank with no alcohol gas and add a pint of Sea-Foam (it works as good as Sta-Bil, and [at least in the past], was a lot cheaper). When you're at he station, fill a 2 gallon or so gas can with the same non-alcohol gas. Drive the car to your storage space, which will mix up the Sea-Foam and the gas. Just before you put the car to bed, fill the gas tank from the from the small gas can you filled before. (It helps to have some friends to help you "jiggle" the car to get ALL of the air out of he tank.) I have done this for years and never had a problem. As a matter of fact, I had a Suzuki motorcycle that I did this to 3 years ago that I picked up last week. It started after about 6 seconds of cranking and ran great. I removed the gas cap, and sniffed the gas, and here was NO varnish smell. As I said at the top; oxygen (including air) is your enemy. I do have to say, that it probably helped to turn the gas cock off on the motorcycle tank, and run the carbs dry.:D

21. Have to leave for college tomorrow which is six houres away. I have no parking there and my alternator is sloly dieing on the car.

Thanks guys. I will take all this into consideration.

I think I will add the right amount of Stabilizer and run it for 5-10 minutes then park it. My only question would be does anyone know of the top of their heads how big a '55-'56 Ford tank is. Someone told me they THINK it's 16 gallons? Thanks!

I am sure going to miss driving this car:(

22. Mitchell....... deep breath. 16, 18 or 20 gallons. It REALLY wont matter all THAT much. You're not programming the NASA computers for the Atlantis landing here. Just go to the gas station, fill your tank til' baby wont take no more. Add your stabilizer and drive to the garage. You'll be fine, honest.

23. Thanks man, I just worry to much about the stupid thing. It runs perfect now I hope it will be that way when I come collect in the summer. :cool:

Thanks again guys!!!!

24. rainhater1

rainhater1
    BANNED
    from az

Where do you find gas with no alcohol, around here it always has it AZ

25. Safari-Tracker

Safari-Tracker

Before i left for this deplyment i filled my car that has outside storage with 92oct and stabil. the inside storage cars just got stabil and reg gas. Fuel looses octain over time and heat only makes it worse.

26. Well, it's done. I miss it a lot already. Thanks guys for all your help!

27. I use Sea Foam in a full tank of non-ethanol gas. No problems for years. Check out the website at pure-gas.org.Click on your state and find any stations selling non-ethanol. I was surprised how many there are.

28. I am also a big fan of Sea Foam and also use non ethanol gas all the time, not just in storing my rides.
    They sell it in my area at all the Fleet Farms.

29. RAY With

RAY With

You should have a 18 gallon tank in your ford but like they say you cant put to much in so go for it. A little marvel oil wouldnt hurt in the mix if you so choose and I say fill it to the top

30. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

SEA FOAM
    Only way to go.