Register now to get rid of these ads!

Out-of-the-blue noise ??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tom-MI, Aug 28, 2011.

1. Tom-MI

Tom-MI

I have a '36 Ford with a near stock flathead. 5K miles on the engine with no problems. Now all of sudden I am getting an odd noise. When I release the clutch after a shift I get a sound like a spring is loose and rattling around. No howling, screeching, slipping or clunking. It doesn't occur when the engine is not running. It occurs only when the clutch is released, not when it is pressed. I have pulled all extra springs such as on the pedal return but it still is there. It is definitely coming out of the clutch area. It seems to be getting worse. The clutch is adjusted to within specs and doesn't pulsate. Any ideas??

Thanks for the help.

Tom

2. a40lover

a40lover

sounds like a broken spring in the disc or presure plate.

3. mikeey rat

mikeey rat
    from Australia

yep same thing happened to me .same sound exactly and that's what it was

4. lexington

lexington

The clutch is released when the pedal is in nothing is turning except release and pilot bearing. If you only have noise when pedal is out input shaft and trans are turning. When is noise occuring pedal in or out?Does it do it in neutral?

5. Tom-MI

Tom-MI

lexington-

The only time it occurs is when the clutch is being released, even in neutral.

Tom

6. lexington

lexington

I would check the fork retainer springs on the throw out bearing.You should be able to see this through the inspection hole

7. Tom-MI

Tom-MI

Thanks guys for the help. It looks like I am buying a new pressure plate and disk. :(

Tom

ct1932ford likes this.