Register now to get rid of these ads!

Transmission for performance banger

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by frost.jerry, Aug 23, 2011.

1. frost.jerry

frost.jerry

Looking at keeping my model a four banger need to know what trans will work once I increase power witj lionhead head and dual 97 setup

2. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

If you can find a '32-'34 4 cylinder transmission, it can be retrofitted with newer (up to '48) V8 gears with the better syncronizer assembly.

3. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

tho they are pricey mitchel makes a sycronized model a trans. Its like 2 grand. Then there is the t-5 conversion.

4. 2935ford

2935ford

T5 works nice.

5. frost.jerry

frost.jerry

Saw the mitchell on mac's with taller gears. Hope this and nine inch rear with 3.00 and 30 inch tall rear tire works.mostly cruiseing with a little hyway

6. frost.jerry

frost.jerry

And thanks for the advice. Trying to do all bymyself no outside work

7. If you don't mind double clutching I would just leave the stock trans. If you want syncros go with early Ford V8 (32-39) and an adapter from a place like Clings clingsaftermarket.com, (480) 777-1202 or a Model B with some of the parts from the kit to adapt a V8 to mount the pedals and wishbone. If you convert to open drive there are a couple of other choices but I don't mess with the new stuff. As much as I hate to say it you might post your question in the Model A section of fordbarn.com. You will get flack from the restorers but maybe some useful information as you are, in my mind, right between the two forums.

Charlie Stephens

8. RussTee

RussTee

look at the banger threads the whole story is there together with who supplies the kits good luck

9. 36Brua

36Brua

Hi quick help question. Does the B trans. bolt directly to the A u joint /torque tube or? thanks

10. I think the answer is yes but it would be good to double check.

Charlie Stephens

11. 36Brua

36Brua

Thanks. it will probably be pretty clear when i get it all apart. it's the putting it back together part I'm not too sure about ! I thought the rear mount of the 32 trans is different than the A.

12. The rear mount is definitely different, the Model A didn't use a rear mount. I can't remember if you just leave the '32 mount off or not (maybe you need a spacer to replace the rear mount). There may be a different bolt pattern on the u joint cover but I don't remember for sure.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
  13. Wildfire

Wildfire

T-5 - find Crazydaddyo - he developed an adaptor to use a 4WD trans without the xfer case. It allows you to keep the torque tube instead of switching to an open drive and making the suspension changes that come with it.

If not, an 80's era F150 trans can be used...

If not, a later three speed can be adapted as stated above.

Mine has a T-5 and I'm very satisfied.

14. TERPU

TERPU

'39 style Ford Three Speed, and a '36 Rear with 3:54 gears stuffed in it. I know I'm old fashioned but it works every time.

Tim

15. 36Brua

36Brua

Thanks for the input . or maybe just chiop up the 32 rear mount!