Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need timing Help, cam swap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustycarr, Aug 27, 2011.

1. rustycarr

rustycarr
    from TX

Ok , ive got a 34 chevy coupe with a 81 chevy 350 motor in it. Im did a cam swap today and timing chain. when i pulled the dist i set the timing mark at 0 and was TDC on number one, i checked and the piston was at the top of the cylinder. did the cam swap, changed out the new timing chain and gears and put the cam at 6 and the crank at 12, aligned the timing marks and, will not start, it will turn over but will not catch, it also seems to spit gas out of th carb. I put a rag in the 1 cylinder and turned it over till the rag blew out and then checked and the piston is at the bottom of the cylinder..why? also when it blows it out its not on the timing mark but on a mark that is scratched into the balancer..is this 180 degrees out? I tried to re stab distributor and start wiring where the rotor is pointing and continue around with same results... can anyone help?

2. Check the chevy shop manual and see if you did everything in the correct order and set to the correct numbers. Sorta sounds 180 out.

3. Use and old chevy tech manual. It will tell you to put the cam timing mark at 12 0-clock and the crank gear at 12 0-clock too. This will hav the engine on the compression,firing stroke. The method you used has the distributor set to fire on # 6 cylinder >>>>.

4. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

When the cam is at 6 and the crank is it 12 you are on cyl #6 firing, pull the distributor and put it in 180 degrees from where it is at, or rotate engine until rotor is facing number 6 and pull distributor rotate 180 to # 1 if you lined the cam marks up as you said it should fire up

5. handyandy289

handyandy289
    from Georgia

What he said. You are 180 out.

6. Yeah just put the balancer back on top dead center. Then change the distributor timing 180 degrees. I explained this to a guy at his shop once and went back to check on him 2 hours later and he had taken the timing cover back off to change tha cam timing. Made me laugh >>>>.

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

???????????????? On every one I have done the mark on the cam gear was at 6 oclock and the mark on the crank gear was at 12 oclock.

Rusty Car one never assumes that the cam is going to stay in the same place. Have someone bump the engine over with the starter while you hold your finger over #1 plug hole and feel the compression push against it. It may take several goes to get the marks lined up right but you will get it. Then set the distributor in and hook things up.

It's best to clean the marks on the damper and tab off good first and then have the helper just bump it with the key a tap at a time.

8. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Was it at the bottom?, I say no. The compresion stroke started down low when rag blew out. You still need to rotate the crank till you have the piston all the way up to TDC. At that point your timing mark should line up at 0*.

9. 56oldssuper88

56oldssuper88

Yeah^.... sounds like the exhaust valves are opening when your intake valves should be. =180 deg. out

10. And I will promise you if you never turn the engine over and leave the cam gear at 6 0-clock and the crank gear at 12 0-clock and install the distributor at # 1 it will not start. This is the overlap stroke and not the firing stroke >>>>.

11. rustycarr

rustycarr
    from TX

Thanks guys , sounds like 180 out is ticket, ill get to it tomorrow. ..sore...

12. George/Maine

George/Maine

When you are 6 top gear, 12 oclock crankshaft that should be TDC.
    I think you have small gear backwards,marked wrong.Pointed should line up with o degs.

13. rustycarr

rustycarr
    from TX

thanks guys ,especially badbeatfactory, it was 180 out,

Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
  14. dbradley

dbradley

[​IMG]

Remove plug on #1 and hold finger to feel for compression. Line up timing mark and drop distributor.

15. BadbeatFactory

BadbeatFactory

AWESOME...Another one of these threads!!