Register now to get rid of these ads!

Petersen's Engine Swap Books ie:Ford Falcon

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by XKTbird, Aug 27, 2011.

1. XKTbird

XKTbird

Looking for a photo of the 1961 Ford Falcon featured in an old Petersen Hot Rod engine swap book .... I think it exists and is for sale .... it had a CA black plate .... what is it?

-Brian Weatherman -Bonny Doon, CA

2. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Not sure of the "what is it" part of the question but it may be the one that "they" put a Y-block in..I think Brock [brain fart on first name, maybe Ray?] was in on it with maybe Ak Miller and I think it may have been a Ford funded exorsize...I just saw it somewheres but had to be last week cause.....?..Found in Amazon..Hot Rod Magazine All the Covers by Drew Hardin and Editors of Hot Rod Magazine... Gave highlights of each months articles..Rough stab, May 62..

Last edited: Aug 27, 2011
  3. HealeyRick

HealeyRick
    from Mass.

4. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

That may be what the OP is asking on; its what I was thinking of anyways!! I was off a bit date wise; bout right for me! Since its july 60' it must be a 60' Falcon..

Last edited: Aug 27, 2011

5. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Actually, it was much earlier in July 1960. It's not the cover image for that mag though. Chuck Krikorian's "Emporor" is the main image. The article doesn't state that the car was with Fords blessing, but it does imply that. It does say that it was afour door, and ended up in the hands of a top Ford executive for his winter home in Palm springs. Does it survive? Who knows.

6. REM/Mo

REM/Mo
    from Missouri

That appears to be the same one that is in the engine swap mag and with a lot more pics and info.

7. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Yes it is. And yes it was the cover shot on the engine swap book. Pretty cool deal, and it predates even the 221... It's a Y-block.

8. REM/Mo

REM/Mo
    from Missouri

It must be in more than one Peterson engine swap book because it is not on the cover of the one I have with it in it.

9. XKTbird

XKTbird

Those are good, but, the one I'm looking for is late sixties/early seventies .... a petersen 'book' .... a white '61 with a 289/302 .... blacked out grill .... big mags .... the book also had a small block Ford in an XKE .... I think they were Lockheed engineers from palo alto who built that one .... I forget the cover .... I know Petersen had at least two 'engine swap' books because I just sold a copy of the later one .... thanks guys

10. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Actually, Peterson put out several swap books starting with the one in the early sixties. But boy, late sixties early seventies, ya got me stumped. Too new for my mind set. I have all the paper from then, it's just packed deep away until it becomes relevant too me. The car does sound familure though. I have a Peterson Ford book from the early seventies that might have the info handy, I'll see tomorrow.

11. RetroSpeed

RetroSpeed

It’s been at least 35 years but I too remember that white Falcon. However, if it is the same car described by the original poster, I recall it was featured in a Petersen "Annual" circa 1974-76. The Falcon had a black egg crate front grill and in the article copy they compared the car's profile to a Mercedes or BMW. Go figure…

The engine was a small block Ford with "Powered by Ford" valve covers similar to those found on Shelby's. Moreover, I believe John Buttera's "Too Tall T" was either on the cover of the publication or featured inside if this helps anyone's recollection.

Again, it's been at least 35 years but that V8 powered Falcon made an indelible impression on a young mind that led to a series of fast Fords and three round bodied Rancheros with both V8 and multi-carbed I6 engines.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
  12. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I'm so sorry, I forgot all about checking this out. I think the car you are asking about is in one of Peterson's Ford annuals from about '73 - '74 or so.

13. Fairlane dude

Fairlane dude

I just found this. I believe the car you are looking for is a '60 Ford Falcon with a 351 Boss engine, and was built by Mike Lampasi. At least, that's what my Peterson's complete book of ENGINE SWAPPING circa 1975 says. Great car!

14. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

It was a Boss 351. Not HAMB friendly, so I'm not gonna post it. I'll dig it up and PM it to you.