Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roadkillontheweb

roadkillontheweb

2. roadkillontheweb

roadkillontheweb

3. roadkillontheweb

roadkillontheweb

A few more yet.

Discuss!

4. swi66

swi66

Probably one of the most photographed women in history.
    I always love it when finding another pic I had not seen before.

The camera loved her, and she loved the camera.
    Screen sirens of days gone by, could this be a new thread?

5. swi66

swi66

No one has told me that I couldn't place some non car related photo of beautiful women of the screen.
    Bardot is another of my favorites.

Don't know if anyone notiiced or not.
    But the 30,000 th post on this thread was one I posted of Ann Margaret, and it also coincided with the 1500th page of this thread which I pretty well dominated..

6. fbi9c1

fbi9c1

I for one vote to keep them in this thread! It keeps the content varied and interesting. It certainly has a wide range to date and is fascinating. If there is some part that doesn't interest someone, they can scroll through and skip it. Just my $.02 :)

7. 4tl8ford

4tl8ford
    from Erie, Pa

Obviously to a drag race-----

8. O.K, so its beautiful woman we want to see is it ? Here's my pick then

9. starwalker

starwalker

A "then and now" set from Oklahoma City.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Umm...no.
    [​IMG]

garham likes this.
  11. automaticslim

automaticslim
    from new jersey

The 'whatzit' in post 30186. Looks like it could be a Daimler?....maybe

12. Definitely a Daimler. Those characteristic flutes in the top of the grill shell is the clue.

13. starwalker

starwalker

That is a picture perfect follow-through for the batter.

14. Not totally accurate. Actually only the top was brought over from the XP700 and, with a new prismatic periscope, was used on the XP755 (code name for the Shark).

15. Hot Rod Elvis

Hot Rod Elvis

Both are beautiful...but don't think a man as rich as a president could've lived in more than one house in his lifetime?

16. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Yup, HOW MANY presidents drove THEMSELVES back to their home states after leaving office, eh? He was one of a kind and the epitome of what public service MEANS!

17. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

uote:<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset" class=alt2>Originally Posted by [B
    fbi9c1[/B];6898147]I for one vote to keep them in this thread! It keeps the content varied and interesting. It certainly has a wide range to date and is fascinating. If there is some part that doesn't interest someone, they can scroll through and skip it. Just my $.02 :)

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    I'm with you! A beautiful woman is beautiful, with or without attire -- and they are still beautiful when they get older, too (as our departed HAMB brother SixDogs kept saying! And, I wish he could be invited back, but I don't run the thread, nor the HAMB). We have treated women respectfully and appreciatively on this thread, IMO. Smart men realize that women and men are in this world together. Women are not chattel nor possessions. I've know a LOT of men who said they WISHED they had "a good woman," but they were too stupid to see that their self-centeredness and/or overly macho ideas had run off prospects who'd have LOVED them, warts and all, had they just been considerate men.

My own mom told me when I was young that even women like to see who's the current rave, not just who's the HOT guy in the public's eye. So she watched the magazines and the movies, back in the late '30s and during the war years. I really appreciate that HAMB GUYS have posted beautiful photos of the women who stirred hearts in past decades. Moreover, I AGREE that today's women don't need to tattoo themselves, nor staple their bodies full of metal to be "attractive."

The way God made them seems to be good enough for the TRAD guy, eh?

[​IMG]

Gene Tierney is a wonderful example of natural beauty. She worked hard, but success rose up and met her. To make a long story short, she contracted measles while entertaining troops and hard-working "canteen" workers at a stop during WWII. A sick nurse had sneaked out of the infirmary to see the now-famous movie star (who could really blame her?). Gene was pregnant and bore her first daughter with severe brain damage. Though she moved forward, she said, "I never want to be anybody's favorite actress again." Life had dealt her an awful blow, but that's LIFE. Gene Tierney died in 1991 of emphysema. Ironically, she'd started smoking early on in an attempt to lower her voice for the screen.

So, Gene T. and Humphrey Bogart had both smoked heavily, at least in part for the sake of their art, and for the sake of entertainment. Not a political statement. I have my OWN bad habits!

18. waycool_jr

waycool_jr
    from wisconsin

wow, this is pretty much the best thread ever. May need to clear a week off of work to view it all. Nice!

19. jughead2

jughead2
    from tenn.

in a response to post 30201 when my wife and i got married 50 something years ago she had a crush on rock hudson and always said until the day he died if she could get a hold of him she would change him. we didnt have a falling out over that. i have always felt the women have and deserve the same feelings of men but they suppress them because of our culture

20. jcdeem

jcdeem

I completely agree, though it may be true that there are some pictures in this fantastic thread that doesn't really interest me, I just scroll on past them on to the next, what may not interest me will interest somebody else on this thread, I love that there is so much variety in these pictures, I hope that this thread never dies off.

I do have a few pictures somewhere that I need to scan and post on here.

21. What's funny is that back then, they didn't pay the president beans (not like they do now-a-days). He had to finance his presidential library by selling his memoirs to a book publisher, and paid for his own office and staff after leaving office. He actually did drive himself back home after turning the reigns of the country over to Ike. A year later he drove himself and Bess back to Washington -- all by himself, no secret service! -- in a Chrysler; there was a book that came out a few years ago that detailed the trip. It was amazing how many times that they'd stop in a restaurant to eat and no one recognized them.

No, once he moved out of the farm house in Grandview, MO (which is also still there) he had that one white house in Independence until he passed.

22. Zigged should've Zagged

Zigged should've Zagged
    from Emmaus Pa

oh yeah! I'm really liking this

23. modeleh

modeleh

I will post some shots from the British Columbia coast during the 1940s and 50s.

This is a pic of a friend of mine who just passed last summer at the age of 93, he was one of the last survivors from the steam logging era here on Vancouver Island, where a great deal of the world's supply of old growth Douglas Fir, Western Red Cedar, and Sitka Spruce came from. My pal is on the far left, they are seated on a railway speeder powered by a flathead V8 Ford, with their lunch boxes ready to head into the woods for a day's work.
    [​IMG]

24. modeleh

modeleh

This is a shot of the log loading crew around 1937. They would use a steam donkey at the base of a standing tree that was topped and delimbed, then a boom was fashioned out of logs and rigged with cables to swing the boom left and right and hoist two separate tongs to lift the logs onto the railcars for the trip to the beach. This was called a MacLean boom setup, notice the tongs in the foreground. The donkey is in the background sitting just behind the spar tree. This was before the days of any safety gear. That is my old pal in the center of the shot crouched down with the big smile on his face which he always had since I met him in his 80s.

[​IMG]

25. modeleh

modeleh

This is my old buddy Al (on left) working laying track for a railroad logging show for the Powell River Company back in the late 30s. Smiling as always.
    [​IMG]

26. modeleh

modeleh

This is a shot of Great Central Lake, BC in May of '43 when the friction from a yarding cable sparked a fire that spread fast due to windy conditions, then the burning embers were carried across the lake and sparked up the other side. This was taken at dusk from one of the logging camps on the lake operated by Bloedel, Stewart and Welch at that time. This was a big camp. You can see some of the speeders on the track in the background and the headlight of one of the steam locomotives in the foreground.
    [​IMG]

27. modeleh

modeleh

This is a shot of how they moved the tug boats around on skid logs pulled by Cats. The logs were pretty much destroyed by the time they got to their destination. They also moved bunkhouses and other camp buildings this way. Al told me a story of one Cat operator who was towing a bunkhouse and never noticed it slipped off a bank behind him. When he got down the road the supervisor asked him why he was coming down empty and he looked back to see his empty cable dragging behind him.
    [​IMG]

28. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

29. modeleh

modeleh

This is the A frame steam yarder used to clearcut Great Central and Sproat Lakes in the early days. It had over one mile of two and a quarter inch skyline cable and took 11 men to crew it. Two men cut firewood all day every day to keep her steamed up. The top point of the A frame was 152 ft from the deck. When it was dismantled in 1968, they reclaimed over 1 million board feet of lumber from the Douglas Fir logs that madeup the raft. It was actually one raft of logs with another layer on top cross-wase to the bottom logs. In this shot you can see how they used huge logs as stiff legs to keep the raft away from the lake shore, and that formed a pocket that they would yard the logs into and boom up to be hauled off by the tug. I am fortunate to have the original brass steam boiler gauge from this yarder.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.