Register now to get rid of these ads!

For all the brothers in Irenes path.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blades, Aug 26, 2011.

1. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

I've been watching the weather and it doesn't look as bad as there saying!? I hope there blowing out of proportion . I hope! Regardless, still sending prayers to all ya all. Be safe

2. You Tidewater guys keep on high ground when possible! If you gotta bug out, let me know. I can help out with a bed or two!

Points north....stay safe and report in as soon as it blows over!

3. Thanks Guys!!! The only thing I am worried about is the big branch over the house...but don't worry there is nothing over the garage so the rods will be fine....

4. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Mandatory evacuation issued for NYC. If you're on the east coast and have never been through a big one... DO NOT TAKE THIS LIGHTLY.
    Prayers out to all.

5. cakes

cakes

I hope everyone is safe, I am loving the wind and rain here, well that and I am drinkin pretty heavy, waiting for some more rain

6. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

I think we might be related! ;)

7. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

up north in new england we wont be getting it too bad , but as bad as its been in 20 years!! good luck all you fist pumpers down on the jersey shore and n.y guys!

8. joel torres

joel torres

i have a nice tree im expecting to crush my garage and the 47 if this happens it's the end of the project for me house i can rebuild car i will not try again

9. From a HAMB that has been through 5 of them.........RUN
    And for those that think it won't affect you.......god bless

10. The37Kid

The37Kid

I think the TV and radio reports of impending doom are overblown, then I got home and talked with my son in law. He's on the Highway Department here in town and they aren't planning on being home for many days. Guess I'll spend tomorrow getting things in the yard stowed away.

11. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

thanks for the thoughts from someone who's state is about to be slammed.not ready for this but we're about as ready as we're gonna get:)

12. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Ii JUST HOPE THE NEWS IS BLOWING SMOKE UP OUR ASSES,Here ion the suburbs people are panicking ,Cant buy d batteries anywhere and gas lines are horrible.Im just gonna close the garage door tomorrow and start wetsanding my frame.I hope I can leave the door open to watch the supposive storm.

13. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

the thing with CT is our ground is already quite saturated. 8-12inches of rainon top of that and then 30-80mh winds does not mix well with trees that cant withstand those wind gusts. we aren't execting very much structural damage...but we're expecting power outages for as much as a week.

14. slammed

slammed

Food. Water. Gun. And the Bible.

15. Hello from Long Island. After 9/11 we can take a little rain and wind. I had a very large tree that was over 60 yrs old removed just last month. It was in front of the garage. WOW! was that a good move or what! Say good nite Irene!

Thanks for all the well wishers, God Bless.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2011
  16. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

You sound like a Gulf coast Texan!:D

17. Taking Respect

Taking Respect
    from New Jersey

Thanks guys, hope my fords make it threw unharmed...

18. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

lmao, and I just closed on a house today... I may be thumbing my nose at Ms. Irene.

19. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

My buddy from Florida who's been through a ton of these 'canes said the most vulnerable part of the house are the garage doors. Great, just great. Right where all my toys are. He strongly recommends to reinforce the doors from the inside with 2x4's, nailed to the floor and door header to keep the doors from blowing in and onto the cars, etc. Guess I'll add that to my agenda tomorrow. I hope this helps others prepare/protect their vehicles.

20. gary terhaar

gary terhaar
    from oakdale ny

There saying 6-8foot tital surge southshore long island,Well thats me,right on the water.Plenty of panic with the comparison of the express hurricane of 38.
    Just moved my coupe and the bikes at the shop,tarps generator as well as the chain saw with plenty of gas.I think i am ready.
    Moved all personals of importance to the second floor.Oh yea did i mention several oaks ranging from 50 to 75 feet tall, Duh i moved to oakdale.What was i thinking.
    Thanks for all the well wishes and prayers,My wife and myself thank you all.

21. 59 brook

59 brook

this is a clopay 2" thick garage door reinforced for hurricane codes . the steel beams are 1 per panel the width of the door .the beams are 2" x 6" steel c channel type beams secured about every 3'
    good night and good luck

Attached Files:

22. scootrz1

scootrz1
    from usa

looks to be headin here ,near hartford ,ct gotta finish secureing yard stuff next door trees are old hope they stay up right

23. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The first rain bands are reaching into the Chesapeake bay as of about 6:30 this morning. Ocean City MD (on the coast) is going to get blown away. Baltimore is bracing for this like I haven't seen in the 30 years since I got here. I sure am looking forward to Monday :eek:

24. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Don't panic. The inlet at Ocean City was opened in the 1933 Hurricane and they liked it. If it wasn't for that hurricane we'd have no place to park at the car show.:D

I remember Hazel in 1954 which tore up NC. The worst part is no electricity for possibly days but they seem to be prepared.

I doubt that there will be many cars at Marley Station tonight.:D

PS if Irene turns out to be a dud, I'll be happy. I'd rather be warned and ready...

Last edited: Aug 27, 2011
  25. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Lost power this morning, hopefully it'll be back on today.

26. The37Kid

The37Kid

You must have a Flathead powered internet connection to keep up with things on the HAMB. :D

27. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

LOL, I drove into town and am at a coffee shop with power.

28. jackandeuces

jackandeuces

I have moved Hotrods to higher, safer ground ,thanks to Hamber Cadoz, personal cars in a parking garage.. Still hoping that the storm will weaken..All you guys and gals stay safe.......

Attached Files:

• tn.jpeg
      tn.jpeg
      File size:
      47.4 KB
      Views:
  29. csimonds

csimonds

Obama and our State Gov. have already declared a state of emergency here in CT. My wife and I went grocery shopping on Tuesday night and people were already going BONKERS. No milk, no eggs, no bread, produce was all taken...... Just like before we get a dusting of snow in the winter and the weather peeps hype the storm up...... Oh well, I hope to hell my carport garage holds up to some wind becuase that bitch is lagged to the driveway and the Buick is inside.
    Chuck

30. By the way the crow flies, I'm about an hour northwest of the eye wall at the moment.

Pretty stiff gusts (guessing 60+ mph) and above average rain (by no means "torrential"). We have momentarily lost power a dozen times....so far the longest has been 10 minutes.

South and east, they are getting pounded with wind and the rivers are full with water backed up due to the wind.

Keep your collective heads down and report in as you can.

Prayers for all!!!